Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Thinking of buying a 2005 1000S
skyhawk04kilo
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote

Hi,

I test rode an '05 1000S today with about 8,000 miles. It had no upgrades or extras whatsoever. I have a few questions that I wanted to get answered by a Multi expert, so hopefully someone here can help me out. Very Happy

First, the bike had been sitting for about a month. When I tried to start it, it refused to idle. When I let go of the throttle it would just die instantly. It took about 5 to 10 minutes of holding it at 1500rpm manually before it would idle on its own. Once it was fully warmed up it ran fine, but I'm just wondering if this is normal behavior? I attributed that behavior to having sat for a month. Also what is the normal idle speed for this bike? It was idling at 1000rpm once it was warm but it seemed to be struggling a bit.

Second, the timing belt probably has not been changed as the bolts that held on the cover looked like they hadn't been touched in a while. Is this something that needs to be done regularly?

Third, the sidestand seems to wiggle a little bit, kind of like the pivot bolt isn't tightened all the way. Is this normal?

The bike needs a new chain and sprockets and it has been dropped in the past (it has a new front fender and some of the bodywork has deep scratches). The seller (a Harley dealer) is asking $6900 but that seems really high. I was thinking of offering $5500 out the door but wanted to see what other people think of this price.

Thanks!
Mattel
MTS: 2008 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote

No, yes, yes. Too much for that bike in that condition.

Watch the forum classifieds. You will find a cherry bike for a great price. You are headed into winter. No one buys a bike for full price now! Offer him 3k, that's about what he has in it. Then you will need to adjust the valves, change the belts, and all the other service, a and then diag. You will have another 1-2k in it, then find the body work to replace. Run don't walk away from that one!

ATGATT+AIR!!!
bil
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:36 pm Reply with quote

I sold a really tricked out one [05] with lots of mod for 6500, 5k miles, have the valve guides been looked at? If it has been down is the title salvage? As mentioned look else where, there are a lot them for sale
LeoLegendatl
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:08 pm Reply with quote

I just bought an 05 S w/ 11k. sargent seat, dp luggage and givi top case for 5200. There are good deals out there....

A thoroughbred Cafe Racer will ride all night through a fog storm in freeway traffic to put himself into what somebody told him was the ugliest and tightest decreasing-radius turn since Genghis Khan invented the corkscrew. - Hunter S Thompson