Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Multistrada, Please assure me
carl
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:28 am Reply with quote

hi
I hope somebody could help me with some information. I'm looking to buy my first bike. I have researched extensively and came up with the vfr 800, the yamaha fazer (04 model)and lastly the ducati multistrada. I know all these bikes are good but after test rides I was blown away buy the ducati even thought the front end takes some getting used to.

However I live in London and because I'll be using the bike every day to commute to work I'll need something reliable that starts both on hot days or cold first time every time. I'll also need a bike that doesn't corrode to pieces every winter when road salt is used to fend of ice. Lastly I live in a congested built up area, so as much as I appreciate engine noise I need a bike that won't wake up all the neighbours each time I warm it to go to work. Most of you have a good knowledge of the Mulistrada. Please tell me, am I on the right track, is it reliable, quiet with good build quality. I'm dying to know?
Hans Wurst
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:58 am Reply with quote

"is it reliable, quiet with good build quality."

definitely yes!! quiet, at least. It is not reliable and the build quality is, well. Put it this way, it is a motorbike, that needs some attention..

good luck
HW
Bounty
MTS: 2010 1200S (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:16 am Reply with quote

Have my bike since last may and have done over 12'000km with it. Apart from the pessimistic gauge and unusable mirorrs, I'm very happy with it and use it every day.

No problem with it except a carburation problem after my 10'000km service...

In terms of noise, it's a bike that respects European norms as all bikes do, so it's quiet. In fact, when you hear a loud bike, it's because the owner has changed it's mufflers...

BTW, this morning it's freezing here (Switzerland, Geneva, -2 °c) and my bike is parked outside (but under a kinda roof) and has started fine...

http://www.ArsFabula.com - Mes pages perso
slemers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:16 am Reply with quote

Riding my friends VFR800 spoiled me when I had my BmwR1100RS. I tried to sell the Beemer to buy a VFR. I couldn't get the money I wanted for the Beemer at that time so I kept it for two years.
I don't think you can go wrong with the Vfr Interceptor. It's a nice machine that is a great all rounder.
The Multistrada is a nice machine, bit it can't do everything as well as the VFR can. Just my not so humble opinion.
That said, I am obsessed with my 2004 Multi. Just don't think it would make an ideal first bike. :|
Doc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:19 am Reply with quote

carl wrote:
is it reliable, quiet with good build quality

It isn't as quiet as the VFR or the Fazer.
It isn't as relible as the VFR.
Good build quality.
It has "teething" problems (new models tend to have them, but seems that later bathes don't).

But

the fun factor is up through the sky with the Multi Very Happy You'll never have that smile on your face just from an everyday "returning from work" ride Smile

I also use my MST everyday for going to work but also on long tours (with and without pillion) and fast rides on twitchy secondary roads, not as fun as on a VFR or the Fazer in these conditions... Wink

Best regards and let us know of your decision,

Doc

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:52 am Reply with quote

Don't buy a Multistrada if fun is not an issue.
Go for the Fazer then.
Prof

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:59 am Reply with quote

I haven't yet tried a better bike than the Multistrada - and it zips through traffic - I commute through the West Midlands on it every day and it does everything I need

It's also fun when I get out to the country

It rattles a bit (Ducati dry clutch) but I have read that the VFR - VTEC has a very expensive service bill - but Ducati aren't cheap to service either

But you have to have fun - so it's worth it!

The Fazer will be cheaper - b Service/insurance etc - it's just a bit ordinary

I actually went to buy a Fazer - but the MTS was available for a test ride -- 1 test ride was enough. I never regretted it!

No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:10 am Reply with quote

Carl,
All motorbikes corrode to some degree. They all need more preventative maintenance than a car would. If your criteria are reliable transport with minimum fuss any Ducati would not be my first choice.

I would perhaps look at a new Honda CBF500 or one of the BMWs with shaft drive. Wash it, wax it every so often and before the onset of winter, say November, coat it with a greasy protective coating, I think its called S100(0) which will allow dirt to stick to it, but protect the alloy underneath.

Having said that I'm likely to be putting an order down for a MTS for delivery in March, a red one of course Wink
anhar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:12 pm Reply with quote

Carl, I too live in London and there is no way I would have a Multistrada as my sole bike for daily commuting. Great though it is, and it is the most wonderful bike on bend sweeping rides undertaken purely for pleasure, I dont think it is up to the daily all weather grind. Apart from that, the heavy clutch will prove to be a pain in London traffic.

Get the Fazer, then try and save up to get a 'strada as a second bike if possible.

regards
ian916
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:34 pm Reply with quote

i would almost say that if you have to ask to be convinced then the MS is not for you. The love of a Ducati has to be worked at a bit, it does n't come as easy as say a bland Honda, but when you click with Ducati ownership it is the best love affair with a motorbike you could ever have.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:45 pm Reply with quote

Thanks alot guys for your advice. My priority is definetly the fun factor in owning a bike. However I believe its possible to have an exciting bike coupled with the knowledge that it won't fall to pieces on you or leave you wondering each time you ride it what will go wrong next. I'm lucky to be in the position to afford either the multistrada, vfr800 or fazer, I know the multistrada will give me the excitement and thrills I crave in a bike but I also have to think about the unavoidable issue of it getting me to and from work during the week. I really just want to go down to the ducati dealer and purchase the bike but some tell me ducatis need too much babying and tender loving care. Arghhhhhhh!!! this is doing my head in. Any other messages will be most appreciated.
Doc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:58 pm Reply with quote

I don't know if this help you in your decision Carl, but since June (when I got my Multi) I've been using it every day for comuting, touring, going to work, biker meeting/rides etc. And guess what.... it didn't fail me once Smile

Ofcourse caring for it is just part of the "fun". It never asked more than I expected also. But it certainly gives me more than I expected or even than what I can get Very Happy Cool

Happy deciding,

Doc