Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Decision time:1100S or 1200S Touring
Goto page Previous  1, 2
mollycbr123
MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:37 pm Reply with quote

ducducduc wrote:
mollycbr123 wrote:

The only thing I can say the two bikes may have in common is a comfortable riding position, so yes, the 1200 can be considered a highway star...

Actually the comfort, smoothness, available power at any throttle position and "bigger" feel in the saddle (I know it's actually lighter than the 100S) was what didn't light my fire.
I guess I like to work the bike more. Maybe I enjoy the abuse of my 900SS and want more of the same Very Happy

I truly appreciate all the input and help guys!

Glutton for punishment, huh? Wink

Sold my last sportbike about 5 years ago, and never looked back.

'12 Multistrada S Touring
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new '16 Thruxton R
tonic101
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:46 pm Reply with quote

ducducduc wrote:
Big dilemna. Here's the players:

2009 1100S with seat, exhaust, factory pannier upgrades. 22,000m white, minty clean.

2010 1200S Touring with topcase, crash bars, termi. 9,000m black scuffed side case from a drop.

The 1100 is 10K the 1200 is 14K. (in Canada)

To me the 1100S is the ultimate Multi as I'm an air cooled guy but I can't argue that the 1200 is better on paper in every way.
I have concerns that as these bike get old (I'll be owner for 10+ years I'm sure. My other Duc is at 17 now) that the electro gizmos could be costly to maintain on the 1200 and could leave me stranded 1000 miles from home. The 1100S is a true antique by comparison and that may not be a bad thing. Water cooled certainly has the ZOOM going for it though.

Anyone care to throw in "considerations" or "what I'd do" to inspire me?

thanks!

Bump....

I'm at a similar point in my decision making process, albeit from the other side of the pond. I'm curious to know which you opted for in the end and how are you're getting on.

Cheers

Jason
Mattel
MTS: 2012 1200S PP (Corse)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:55 am Reply with quote

I still own both my 1100s and a 1200 pp.

Reason.....
They are simular but different bikes.

If you had to chose just one, go with the 1200. Unless you worry about expensive repairs...

The 1100 is simple, easy to wrench on and for most, all the bike you need in the twisties. On the highway, it's a different story. The 1200 has better wind options, and is more capable at high speeds, and a bit more stable.

If you dial in an 1100 right, you can compete with a 1200.

I'm keeping my 1100 because I know in 10-15 years I will still be able to roll it out of the garage and go for a ride. 1200, well I just can't say with the same certainty.

If I was forced to choose, it would have to be the 1200. The miles just seem to ring off on the 1200. It costs more but it is well worth it.

But, as my 1100 is up on the lift now for its winter tear down and maintenance, it is like an old friend. It is a simple pleasure to work on it. Just changed the rear brake fluid, checked the pads, removed the chain and sprockets, oil is next, clutch fluid, front brake fluid, check belts, work on the steering damper, remove the bodywork, tank, seat, (slight repair on seat needed), replace the air filter, clean, wax, you get the idea.

I know one day I will get to this point on my 1200. I know we said the same thing in the 80's about the new bikes with elec. ignition. One day you will be able to sinc your iPad with your 1200 to diagnose.

Either way, rid them both, research them, look into your soul, then your bank account.

ATGATT+AIR!!!