Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Which 1000ds to buy ?!??
keeble130
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote

Ok so I'm looking into buying my first Ducati and I have decided to get a multi, I have found two different 2004 models reasonably close to me. One has 3000 miles with no recalls being performed and the other has 20,000 miles with the recall performed difference in price is only a few hundred dollars more for the low mileage bike. What bike should I get?!
dickm
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote

My vote is get the low mileage bike. Ride it hard, budget 1,800USD for the valve guide replacement in 3 years, then you can monitor the work IF needed.

keener
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote

dickm wrote:
My vote is get the low mileage bike. Ride it hard, budget 1,800USD for the valve guide replacement in 3 years, then you can monitor the work IF needed.

plus 1 ...I would do the same but get her checked out as best you can ..re any service records, etc

74 Z1 900
98 1200 Bandit
2015 Kawasaki Verses 1000
ks4hcoach
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote

All things being equal I would rather have the one with lower milage, but....
The low mileage bike will have fresher suspension and if taken care of properly, barely broken in. What about things like battery and tires. If original, and they may be, will need up front replacement. Is the 3K bike running? If not how long has it sat. It sure hasn't been ridden much.

Accessories and condition of both bikes??

What kind of impression do you take away from talking with the owners? That is a big one with me.

20K is NOT a lot of miles on a well treated Multistrada either and this bike is probably riddne more often and likely more ready to just put in gas and go.

What updates were done: Longer sidestand is one update, but these are available for cheap used. Wouldn't be a big factor to me. Longer mirrors and better seats came out after the first couple of production years. Valve guide condition would be a BIG one to consider on that generation bike and IF the 20K bike has the valve guide problems, it is probably in the mileage range where it starts to show up. Not so likely with a motor with 3K miles. Don't know that the bad valve guides were a recall, or not, but Ducati stood behind many of those repairs.

Has either sat outside much in the weather. I understand that they do not like that, especially instrument cluster and wiring connections. Mine live in the garage except when I am riding so are kept away from the elements and the weathering problems.

Service records? Probably not much has been done with the 3K bike and it may have sat for a long time. If so, will need new belts immediately. The 20K bike should definitely have a set of records for oil, belts, valve check, etc.

Chain and sprockets? 3K bike likely very good, if not left outside. 20K bike is probably on second set. If not, new chain and sprockets will be needed soon.

Tried to hit some of the high points I could think of. Good luck and let us know what you decide in the end.

Thanks
Rod
keeble130

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:08 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! From my conversations with the owners the low mileage bike has never seen rain, only washed. I agree it will need belts first thing. As far as battery it will come with a new one. The 20k bike recently had the belt changed valve guides replaced, oil changed.
potomacduc
MTS: 2013 1200 (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:49 pm Reply with quote

I dunno, I think I'd rather take the higher mileage bike, especially if it has its valve guides addressed. At 20k miles all gremlins will have raised their heads and been addressed, while things could be lurking on a bike that has basically been sitting for 10 years.

If you do go with the higher mileage bike, you can take the $1800 you'd budget for valve guides and put it towards the suspension if you're worried about that being an issue. $1800 spent on suspension will not be just a refresh, but actually an opportunity to upgrade or tailor the bike to your weight and riding style.
ScottP
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:22 pm Reply with quote

Also look for tank issues specifically. Here are some pics of what to look for.
Scroll down for the pics. If you are outside the US and the bike has seen pure gas, then no worries.

http://www.multistrada.net/forum/viewtop...sc&start=15

If the tank is ok, the next big worry is valve guides (tank issues will most likely develop later, but the replacement from CA cycleworks should be available). If it runs well, and doesn't smoke out the exhaust then chances are the valve guides won't be an issue for a while (hopefully). My 2005 is in the valve guide engine serial number range, and has no issues at 24k miles. So the low miles bike might not develop a problem for a while. Good tank, runs well, buy the lower mileage bike. My opinion only.

Scott

1984 Honda Interceptor
aimat
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:49 am Reply with quote

I'm with poto...take the high mileage bike. All the gremlins have come and been addressed.
T

2006 1000ds black, Toni (don't ask, the partner named it)
2003 1000ds silver, Hail (less angry)
1999 st2 red, Grumpy
2011 Triumph Speed triple 1050
orlando903
MTS: 2006 620 Dark (Flat black)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:03 pm Reply with quote

dickm wrote:

+2 - at 20k miles, if the guides haven't already been replaced, they more than likely need doing.

09 Buell Ulysses
15 Guzzi V7 I
20 Guzzi V85tt
keeble130

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:46 am Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the info! I actually just purchased a 2007 1100 with 9200 miles. It was a great opportunity to just go with a newer bike!
kuyohtay
MTS: 2009 1100S (White)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:50 am Reply with quote

keeble130 wrote:
Thanks for all of the info! I actually just purchased a 2007 1100 with 9200 miles. It was a great opportunity to just go with a newer bike!

GREAT Choice!

Enjoy and ride like a mother-fucker!
I do!

Ed,
Mr. Green