Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: thinking about buying an 05 Multistrada DS
Goto page 1, 2  Next
aksinha88
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:34 am Reply with quote

Hey everyone,
I just found this forum and though I would get some advice and feedback from you all since Im thinking about buying a 2005 Multistrada DS that just popped up for sale near me. http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/4459367128.html Owner states the bike has 25k miles on it and he just changed the tires and the gas tank on it recently (has receipt). He is asking $4k for it right now and seems pretty firm on the price.

I currently ride a Honda XR650L which has been my reliable and trust worthy iron horse for the last 4 years but I've been craving something a little more powerful and capable of highway speeds. In addition, my wife has recently shown interest in tagging along for weekend trips (300-500miles) and the XR just doesnt cut it anymore, althought its great for my own personal tours with camping gear. So i have a few questions.

1. Would it be worth it to sell the XR and upgrade to a Multistrada?
2. Is it capable of doing highway speeds 2 up + 30lbs of camping/touring gear?
3. Reliability and service costs?
4. Questions I need to ask about service that has been done to the bike given its age and miles.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Smile[img][/img][url][/url][url][/url]
adb
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:08 am Reply with quote

That bike is plenty capable of 2 up with gear.

The older aircooled multis are quirky. There are some known issues which you can explore here on this forum. If you can live with that, no problem. The engines are dead simple and easy to learn to maintain yourself.

Ask the PO if he knows when it was last serviced... belts, valve adjust, etc. Does it come with all the keys and code card?

25K miles is nothing either. There are several here with 100,000 miles.

MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:10 am Reply with quote

Just had a look at the listing. It looks clean. Appears to be termi exhaust slip-ons (cat still present). Price seems fair.

MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote

Very different bike than your Honda to ride.
Much more power, lots better brakes and handles a lot better.

They are reliable if properly maintained. Nothing difficult or even too often-but must be done correctly.

Mark

Beta XTrainer 300
potomacduc
MTS: 2013 1200 (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:34 am Reply with quote

I sold my 04 1000DS last year and tracked prices pretty closely and if the bike checks out (service records, has red key/code card, etc.) $4000 is definitely a fair price. The Multistrada won't be able (without modification) to tackle the same sort of off-road terrain that your XR can, but it is a vastly superior (and faster) road bike that is comfortable on gravel roads.
aksinha88

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys. Im pretty handy with tools and all so I should be able to tackle the regular maintainance etc. I contacted the seller and he "thinks" the red key is available but has no proof of service records. Also he does not have saddlebags to go with it. While further searching I came across another Multistrada a few hrs away. (Is there a difference between the DS and this one? --->) http://louisville.craigslist.org/mcy/4507000842.html Not my choice of color but it comes with saddlebags, manuals, red key and all service logs for an extra $1k. I might be able to haggle him to $4500 it looks like. Between the two, should I look into the second one (Yellow)? Looks like this one has been taken care of better.
DharmaChappell
MTS: 2007 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote

Aksinah88,

The yellow Multi is a 620cc model with the double sided swing arm instead of the 1000DS' single sided swing arm. The 2 bikes are different in power and weight, but both great rides. If your weight is over 190 LB and height over 5'10", the 620 may not be right for you. Ducati only made the 620's for 2 or 3 years but there are several very loyal owners on this forum. The 1000DS motor has more torque and HP with weight to go along. I've owned an 1100DS since December 2006 and will never sell it.

-Dharma

aksinha88

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:38 pm Reply with quote

Dharmachappell,
Thanks for pointing that out. Im 5'8" and 150lbs so it would be great for me, but I definitely need something for 2up touring with the lady. So the Yellow 620 is def. a no go. Thanks for letting me know before I made the 4 hour drive to go see it. Smile.
I'm looking at the initial bike I posted about tonight. As long as the RED key is there, the bike seems sound and if the seller drops a few $ off, I might consider just keeping the XR for fun and getting the 1000DS for touring.
Will keep you all posted Smile In the mean time, any additional info, feedback is welcome. Thanks all!
acker152
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote

i'm a big guy(bigger than i care to mention) but my 04 100ds has hauled my fat butt and my wife's very much smaller rear on the interstate much much faster than is legal. It has more than enough power. After riding a 2013 multi i wouldn't mind some more brakes but power is more than adequate. Also there are some black ducati cases for sale on craigs list atlanta.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/mpo/4466175879.html
ks4hcoach
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:54 am Reply with quote

Hi Aksinah88,

I have both a MTS 620 (for the last five years) and early last year bought a MTS1100. Very similar bikes in size, feel, and weight. The 620 is 25 lb or so lighter. Big difference in power and torque though with the 1100 a very hard pulling bike from 3000 rpm while the 620 likes at least 4000 rpm if under much load. The 620 is not slow by any means and would take one person just fine, but the 1100 (with the 1000 being very similar to the 1100) just is a beast in comparison, power wise. The 1000 and 1100 Multistradas also have MUCH better stock suspension. This is where Ducati really cut back on the 620, of course, it is upgradable with forks and shock from a 1000 or 1100.

Note that the 620 as well as the 1100 have wet clutches while the 1000 has the traditional Ducati dry clutch. Wet clutch is quieter and likely more durable, but many like the dry clutch rattle. My self, I like the wet clutch.

I have also seen some really good buys on used MTS1100s. These are the last of the air cooled Multistradas, the most refined, and have the most low end and midrange power, but not much more on top than the 1000. Both are waaay faster than the 620 with lots more low and mid range as well.

Keep the XR650 for the true dirt rides and serious exploration and look for a used, clean Multistrada. Certainly don't rule out a clean used 1100 either, but any of them are a fine bike.

Ride safe,

Rod
aksinha88

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:47 am Reply with quote

Thank you all for your feedback!!!!! I checked out the bike last night and got to ride it for a good 30 minutes. The bike is sharp besides a few cosmetic flaws but boy does it have power and those brakes are mighty strong. The current owner provided me with proof of the new tank that was installed (which he payed $1500ish through Ducati for purchase and install). The oil looked clean and didnt show signs of leakage and that dry clutch rattle definitely will take a bit of getting used-to.
The biggest issues was the fact that the owner does not have the RED KEY (or code card as you guys state) and no service records. Based on me looking at the title it shows that he only rode it 200 miles since he bought it last September. A" For Sale" sign on the house and packed boxes tell me he's selling due to moving into a new house.
We shook on $3425 based on the fact that I'll have to get the RED KEY and probably look into the valves being checked/done as the service records are missing. So i'll be picking it up within the next week or so.

Now, how do I get this RED KEY and how soon do I need it?? Also, can someone please give me a basic "how to change the oil and what oil to use" guideline as I'd like to do that at his house when I pick up the bike since its a good 2hour highway ride home and he hasnt changed the oil since last septemeber.

Thanks for everything again guys! you have been very helpful with my first Ducati purchase Very Happy
lotus54
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote

I don't think you can get a red key.
BUT you can buy ( or flash yours) an ECU with no immobilizer and not need it.

Last edited by lotus54 on Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Beta XTrainer 300
DharmaChappell
MTS: 2007 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote

As Lotus54 said, you can have your ECU flashed to DP specs and disable the immobilizer as well. Several vendors can perform this service in USA for ~$500. (if memory serves)

Have no fear, we are here for you pal.

bgone
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote

Congrats on the bike. This should be a great pick up for you.
camcow
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, congrats! I just got into the 1000 Multi last year. Picked up an '04 DS with an Ohlins rear shock. Quirky bike, always an adventure getting it to stay idling during warmup, but probably the best handling bike I've ever ridden. It's like it is telepathic and just knows you want to corner.

Did the PO get the new tank caswell coated? If not, something to think about, as otherwise it's just a matter of time before it expands and either stops fitting the frame bosses or starts leaking. My PO had the first tank last 5 years, then the next tank only last about 2. 3rd tank is on now with the coating, just a few minor bubbles in 10k miles.

In trying seats, the Corbin is the best for touring, though it makes the bike quite tall. At a little under 6' tall I'm able to get the balls of my feet down pretty firmly but not my heels. My bike is also cranked up a bit in back for slightly quicker steering.

The headlight is kind of a joke, especially the low beam, so see about an HID or some auxiliary lights, for frontal visibility if nothing else. Similarly, the rear brakelight is pathetic, so some hyperlites or equivalent are good.

If you were fortunate enough to find one with a centerstand, hold onto it - it's like gold. My bike's PO removed it due to it dragging in corners too often. He says he should have ground the sides down instead and put a stronger spring on it (tended to rattle over bumps as well.)

Anyway, enjoy!