Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Two Up Riding Comfort on 1100s
MNellis
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:21 pm Reply with quote

Can anyone comment on the two-up riding comfort for the 1100S? This will be my first Ducati and while I probably can't swing the 1200S the 1100S looks like a good alternative. I've got a ton of long distance riding experience on older bikes and even sport bikes but nothing like the Multistrada.

While I can ride just about anything, my wife is not so adventurous and needs something comfortable. With the bags installed how is the comfort back there and would I be able to expect the passenger to be comfortable during 500 mile days during a X-country trip?
db14
MTS: 2008 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:20 am Reply with quote

My 20-year old daughter rides with me. The stock seat was marginal for both the rider and passenger. I added a pair of seats from Rick's in Kingston WA. His shop does great work. It improved the comfort a good deal. My daughter's only complaint was that the seat is a little short front to back. I also added a Bang rack and back rest. It is a useful addition and increases comfort and security. We have done a few 600 mile days and the bike performed well.
jazz
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:44 am Reply with quote

This is a very subjective topic. I think that even for a person who considers themselves adventurous by long-distance motorcycle trip standards, a 500 mile day on the 1st gen MTS while doable and bearable I don't believe could ever be described as comfortable. Your results may vary.
mb10039
MTS: 2009 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:01 am Reply with quote

My wife and I will generally do up to 400 miles/day when we are travelling. All I can say is that at the end of the day she is more comfortable than I am!

With the full bag set around her she has even napped at times.
We did this on the 620 and were happy, the 1100S is just that much more stable and plush. No issues at all.

mike

MNellis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:17 am Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. Just looking at the seat for the passenger tells me it might not be what my wife would enjoy for 8 or 9 hours in the saddle.

I'll just assume a Sargent/Corbin seat should be considered when budgeting for a purchase.
db14
MTS: 2008 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:30 am Reply with quote

FYI, here is a link to Rich's custom seats. If you do go there, he has a nice condo he will rent you for cleaning costs and free camping with a shower. He supports bikers well:
http://www.richscustomseats.com/photos.asp

I have generally found his seats to be more comfortable than Corbin's. I have not spent time on a Sargent, but there are old strings that discuss them on this site.
WakeDude
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:17 pm Reply with quote

Another alternative to the seat issue could be the AirHawk.

With either the Bang Fabrication back rest, or the Givi top case with back pad, a passanger will feel comfortable and secure.

Also a problem I ran into during my last trip was that even with the preload all the way up the spring was not supporting the bike as much as I would have liked. We traveled 2-up with all three panniers full and a tank bag and I was dragging the center-stand more than I would have liked.

-Alex
mali

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:31 pm Reply with quote

Thanks guys, good job!

MTS: 2009 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:04 am Reply with quote

I know I am late on this, but my wife says its as comfortable as the GS we had a while ago. We regularly do 400 - 500 klm trips in a day on the 1100, no problem.