Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: About to buy a Multi and here is a penny for your thoughts.
LeTigre
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:54 pm Reply with quote

Hey guys!

Hi.. ok im interested in buying a Multistrada, yep that one with the ugly face and body like heaven Laughing . Long Story short: I used to ride a Monster until i got mugged by some bad guys some time ago. Ive never ride a Multi on regular basis before but i think its perfect, its a sport bike -that feels amazing- with touring capabilities to ride comfortably with a beautiful woman on my back. So as i said before i think its a nice choice ..honestly can't wait no more to feel the wind again.

Now, in my country there are not much to choose from, the multi was not a best seller bike, and yeah you can find some options for the states but they are usually "salvage" and who knows about the actual state of the bike.

Would really appreciate your opinion about my options please.

-Multistrada 03, Gray, Corbin Seat, panniers, Duc top case, -half- system Arrow ( i know, right its weird but it is what it is mate), national W/papers ok, no drops or crashes, second owner, 3keys, the actual owner is member of the Ducati Owners Club (as myself) and everyone that knows the guy recommends him and his bike. Oh and he will introduce me to his mechanic who happened to be a Ducati specialized dude. Change of oil and filters 2 times a year. The downside? its an 03 and the LCD display just lost some of its lines, and as far as i know sometimes it can get worse and theres no way to fix it right? -not a cheap way-

PRICE. 4109USD
KM. 38500 (23922 Miles)

THIS IS KINDA HOW THE LCD LOOKS (is there a way to fix this?)

-Multistrada 04, Gray, tank bag -not Duc-, semi rigid "tail bag?" -not Duc-, no drops or crashes, full system arrow, open clutch cover, LCD ok, national, papers not perfect (has a little debt with gov taxes but the owner says he will drop the price once we know how much its needed to pay), second owner (he has a Ktm and planning to buy a BMW) Downsides? no RED key and that thing with the gov debt and Stock seat with some details.

PRICE. 3940USD
KM. 26000 (16155 Miles)

-Multistrada S 06. I have not ridden this one cause its in another state but just looks amazing, Black, Ohlins, -gray- panniers, top case (i believe it has 2 of those included), stock pipes, national papers ok, its offered by a dealer (car agency), i think LCD is ok. Downside? Expensive. I may be needing a loan to buy this one.

PRICE: 6020USD
KM. 40000 (24854 MILES)

-Multistrada S 05, Red (awesome color), stock seat, stock pipes, ugly clutch cover painted in red, tall black wind shield, imported (cheaper), need some paper work and payments, LCD ok, red key. Downsides? its "Salvage" and has 40k miles on it (fuck mate. Shocked ) i have an appointment to see this baby this weekend.

Its a lotta miles.

Price. 4728USD
MILES. 40000

So, what do you guys think? i really appreciate this.

Oh! its worth to mention that all the prices are not the last prices.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by LeTigre on Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:07 am; edited 2 times in total
vtjc
MTS: 2015 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:10 am Reply with quote

How can you beat meeting the mechanic, the miles aren't a big issue if the bike was well maintained, in my opinion. Which color you like best is alway a factor as well, a lot of owners will tell you that black is faster, I agree with that opinion.
Bambam
MTS: 2008 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:22 am Reply with quote

[deleted]

Last edited by Bambam on Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Michael Runnicles
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:18 am Reply with quote

There are +s and -s to all of them, but my instinct goes for the first one, although a new dash is not cheap. There is a chap on this forum called Multigatto, who is based in Italy, who occasionally has dashes for sale. The Corbin seat could be worth it too. At first glance I'd say you could get more than your money back by breaking it up (God forbid!). Do check the tank for expansion and leaks around the pump flange.

Personally I would not buy a Multi without a red key, but some would.

Mileage-wise my 2003 1000DS has 54,000 miles on the clock and I've just had the valve guides done. I guess it will need a rebuild at some point. I don't ride it hard as the torque is well below the revs limiter, but some people do wring their necks and store problems for further down the road.

If you tour, luggage is a definite +; it's also rare and expensive! Lack of mudguard on rear wheel means lots of crap to clean if you ride in the wet.
Mattel
MTS: 2012 1200S PP (Corse)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote

If you did buy a multi without a red key, you can buy a full set of locks with the red key and swap everything out.

Someone chime in if you would also need the ECU or not. I don't think its required, as I have swapped out my eco without a problem.

ATGATT+AIR!!!
Michael Runnicles
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote

Multigatto is the authority on these things, but AFAIK if you don't have a red key you can't change the dash.
org
MTS: 2007 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:58 pm Reply with quote

If you replace the dash and do not have a red key, the ECU needs to be reflashed to remove the immobilizer function.
This can be done typically for $200US.
Isaac's Papa
MTS: 2008 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:06 pm Reply with quote

When did they start to ditch the red key? 2008?
moby34
MTS: 2010 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:51 pm Reply with quote

Isaac's Papa wrote:
When did they start to ditch the red key? 2008?

AFAIK they haven't ditched the red key, got one for my '10
Multi223
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:40 pm Reply with quote

After reading the thread, I'm now curious as to which Multi this gent went with?