Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: First Bike 2010 Multistrada 1200s or 2012 Vstrom 650
drivefast211
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:36 pm Reply with quote

I've been cycling for ever, but I've decided to give my legs a break and hop on a motorcycle.

I found a used 2010 Multistrada Touring S with side and top bags in perfect shape at around 17,000 miles. The seller is asking $6,200, but I believe I could get him down to $5,000.

Questions: Is this too much bike for a beginner? I plan on learning as slowly and for as long as it takes. Can't all bikes be driven slowly?

I am looking into ADV bikes because I'd like to do a bit of offroad trails and longer touring.

I'm also looking at a 2012 Vstrom 650 with side bags and 30,000 miles for $3,000.

Would love to hear your thoughts on the prices and which would be better.
bkowal
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:07 pm Reply with quote

The Ducati is a high-performance motorcycle. I would not recommend it as first bike if you have no motorcycle experience.

The Vstrom is a good first bike, cheap, flexible, enough power and performance to be fun, not to much to get you in trouble.

Neither bike are going to be good off-road, they are road bikes. That being said, I would recommend that you start off on something even smaller and better in the dirt. Something like a DRZ400 would be a great starter bike. Learn the basics, then get something a little bigger when your skills and confidence grow.
PeteS
MTS: 2010 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:17 pm Reply with quote

bkowal wrote:
The Ducati is a high-performance motorcycle. I would not recommend it as first bike if you have no motorcycle experience.

The Vstrom is a good first bike, cheap, flexible, enough power and performance to be fun, not to much to get you in trouble.

Neither bike are going to be good off-road, they are road bikes. That being said, I would recommend that you start off on something even smaller and better in the dirt. Something like a DRZ400 would be a great starter bike. Learn the basics, then get something a little bigger when your skills and confidence grow.

Exactly as this man said Smile
I have a 2010 MTS & a 2012 VStrom 650
As a simple first bike, get the 650.
Cheers
keener
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:30 pm Reply with quote

I Would have to say the same....and depending on your inseam /height i would also suggest a Suzuki DR 650 most all years were good i had a 2005 for awhile ..
Stone reliable , excellent street bike especially in the city , can cruise the highway at a decent pace and it is a dual sport bike ...with the right tires and some training /practice it will take you anywhere pretty much ..
Plus used, they are cheap as chips ..new they are reasonable ..and they have pretty good resale as well .

74 Z1 900
98 1200 Bandit
2015 Kawasaki Verses 1000
bgone
MTS: 2013 1200S (Matte Chrome)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:24 pm Reply with quote

Me 4. IMHO, That generation strada is an upright, slightly detuned, 1200 cc superbike - you can always get one later on. And since you mentioned touring, I'll throw a KLR 650 in the mix for a bike to look at.

good luck

BG
moby34
MTS: 2010 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:47 pm Reply with quote

My 2010 is my 2nd bike, and only had ridden for a year/5000 miles prior on a Shadow 600. It was scary for me to start, but such things as traction control and ABS saved my ass a few times. One thing though, my Multi has allowed me to become a better rider as it fits me well and puts me into proper positions etc. and of course the desire to ride such a beauty made me add up miles quickly.
Hansam
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:37 pm Reply with quote

Take the Multi.
If I bike isn't fun, it doesn't make any sense to ride it.
And "Frau Strom", as we call this the Suzuki here in the German talking part, isn't fun at all.

So: The Multi is the right choice. And you have so many electronical gizmos to save you ...

Kind regards

Sam