Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: 06 Multistrada 620, about to buy
Goto page 1, 2  Next
imola04
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:15 am Reply with quote

Hello all, I am about to buy a 06 Multistrada 620 with 8k miles on it. It has the original tires and chain. Seller has not done the cam belts. Rear brake needs to be bled. Bike did not look like it was dropped but it looked like there was a gap when looking at it head on, could that be a sign of tank expansion? What else to look for on these bikes?
ducvet
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:01 pm Reply with quote

On a used 620 multi I would

change tires
change belts
change oil if dark at all
change brake and clutch fluid if dark at all.

see if the service that was due at 6500 miles was done (valve adjust and fuel injection).
Chain if cared for should last to a average of 12000 miles, inspect the o-rings and rollers.
smell fuel and hear it run make sure you are buying a running bike.

FYI: there was a 620 multi stolen in Massachusetts recently so make sure the owner has a title.

Of course the tank is swollen they pretty much all are, most of them it is cosmetics only so no issue. Look for any signs of fuel leaks at the fuel pump flange above the rear tire.

Also check that the dash if fully working with no lights or numbers out.

The 620 is a good motor so I would expect if cared for it should last you a long time. I only feel the 620 is inferior to a 1000/1100 if comparing suspension. Even the non-ohlins suspension is much better on the 1000/1100 and they are getting close in price.

power wise I would be plenty happy with the 620 and it can/should run great.
imola04
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:50 pm Reply with quote

Thank you for the help and information ducvet.

While I didn't see the title, I am in southeast Virginia and the bike is in North Carolina, the seller is the original owner and bought the bike in Alaska so I think I am not buying a stolen bike, will definitely make sure of that though. The bike has been on the market since fall also I believe, maybe earlier.

The seller said the bike had a corbin seat option, was that a thing on these bikes? The bike did start up alright in his garage. I didn't take it for a test ride but he will allow one with cash in hand. He did mention having gotten some of the services done when he was on the west coast but all he has done the past couple years over here was change the oil himself, so the dash has a light on for that but it seemed to be lit up alright.
Definitely eased my mind about the tank, thank you.

There is a 06 black 1000 MTS with the ohlins, hard side and top bags too, asking 5k close to me,
while this is a yellow 06 620 at 2k...
ducvet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:33 am Reply with quote

I think this 620 multi was stolen recently so you are probably in the clear just cover your self.

corbin seat is a aftermarket add on, mine came with one and some like them I would be happy with stock. everyone is different so give it a try.

As I mentioned the 620 has enough power for the roll of the bike but the suspension is simply better on the 1000/1100. That does not mean you can not have fun with the 620 and you can make the suspension better as well. Decide for yourself if the extra $3000 makes the suspension (and motor) worth it to you.

I always wanted the 800 motor in the 1000 chassis but it looks like I would have to build it myself. On that note you can upgrade the motor later if you desire and though the cost would be too high you could convert a 620 to a 1000 with enough used parts off of ebay.
ducvet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:38 am Reply with quote

Oh and the wrench goes on at set mileage, the service may have been done but ask for proof that the valves and belts were done at 6500 miles.

A major service will set you back $500-800 depending on parts so you can plan for hidden costs. and be sure to compare.

620 no service = 2000+700(service)=2700
1000 if service is done= =$ 5000

still a bit off but compare tires (look for date code and try to run tires that are fresher than 5 years)
service history.

know that I change more Ohlins seals than others, the ohlins have low friction but it comes with a cost.
imola04
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:27 am Reply with quote

I have only seen the 620 in person not the 1000 and 2k is a lot more in my budget honestly... having said that the owner of the 620 is the first owner and he knows for a fact the belts have not been done, it is the original tires from 06 and pretty much everything is original on the bike save for oil changes, maybe the service he mentioned was just a valve check? He did not mention having records for it but it did start right up.
The seller of the 1000 says the previous owner did the belt but admits he has no record of it.
colin martin
MTS: 2005 620 (Yellow)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:42 am Reply with quote

Can I chime in here as an ex owner? The 620 motor is a gem, my favourite of the two-valve motors and as ducvet says is plenty fast enough.

The suspension is basic, but the forks are easily sorted with just a change to different oil, and I was perfectly happy with mine after I did this. The rear shock is a bit on the hard side, but it depends on your weight, again I was perfectly happy with mine, although like most things it can be improved!

It is a great little bike and a load of fun.
moby34
MTS: 2010 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:45 am Reply with quote

I don't know, the 620 with no service, original tires, etc. seems like a money pit. I would not ride on 13 year old tires, nor start that engine until the belts are done.
ducvet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:03 pm Reply with quote

If you plan on a full service and new tires you should be about $1000 more than the purchase price. Given the price will be close to a used 1000 that is a bigger discussion.

With 8000 miles on the 620 that bike should be good for a long time with regular services.

Yes there are fixes for the suspension on the 620 to make it better but that adds cost and gets you closer to the 1000 again.

What bikes have you had?
What kind of riding do you plan to do?

Are there any base model 1000/1100 multi's around? when I bought mine last year there were a few base model 1000 in the $3500-4000 range.
Again not a strike against the 620 but your re-sale later on will probably be the same with either minus any money you put into them so the least amount of money means if you do not like it you can get back out with little cost.

Spending an additional $1000 on the 620 means you will not re gain all of it when you sell but if you keep it who cares.
imola04
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:27 pm Reply with quote

The only bike I have owned personally was a '72 cb350 and sold it a month or so ago.
On this bike I'd like to be able to go for a fun ride on country roads, tour (not 2up anytime soon), and possibly commute.

Given my experience is mostly vintage bikes, either suspension will be a massive upgrade to me most likely.

I am 27 so not sure what the insurance hit would be for 1000 vs 620.
Was quoted $250 for full coverage of the 620.
Locally the only 1000 multi is $5k and has no record of the belts being done either, however one 1000 multi with only 2300 miles is available at the other end of my state, and another in pa, both right around $3000.

Is Multistrada 620 really likely to be a moneypit with no service records, the bike did start right up, If I buy it, I would ride it the 40 or so miles home prior to any servicing...
Have seen Monster and Multi 620s with pretty high mileage for sale before for whatever

But you figure $1000 minimum should be put into the 620 multi if I were to get it asap?
moby34
MTS: 2010 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:50 pm Reply with quote

Your asking the right questions. I tend to be more conservative in thinking, as I'm not a mechanic, but have been on this site for years. Ducvet is a well trained mechanic, so he can give you more accurate costs and possibilities of failure. Personally I wouldn't risk riding too far on old tires and an engine that doesn't have a service history. If you're mechanically inclined, or have buddies that can help, this site can help you save bunch of money if you can do the maintenance yourself. Belts are about $100.00. Tires, 3-400 a set.
Icambourn
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:39 pm Reply with quote

Hi . I do not know about the 620 but on the 1000 it only takes about 5 minutes with a 5mm Allen key to remove the belt covers to inspect the belts and rollers. You should be able to tell if the belts are ok to ride 40 miles.I would change them after that though.

Ian
ducvet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:28 pm Reply with quote

Good info.

Given your last bike you are right a Chinese copy of a 1980's Japanese bike would be an improvement.. Very Happy

Just kidding but seriously the modern bike will be better in many ways including suspension over what you are used to so I think you will love the 620. Some things will have a learning curve like fuel injection but most will be such an improvement you will wish you modernized earlier.

The 620 should do everything you want with more power and reliability than whet you had. The Ducati does need more maintenance than the Honda but it is pretty easy to learn how to do most basics and not too expensive to get what you cant do done.

If you break a belt you might be buying a new motor and belts are due every 12,000 miles or three years which ever comes first There is a good chance riding it home will be fine but it is a gamble so be honest if you accept the risk.

If you are strapped for cash after buying the bike, park it. When you have enough money change/get the belts changed at least. Check the tires for wear and age if they are bad wait until you can get new tires before riding. A set of tires can be had for about $200 and you can learn to change them or save up another $100 to have it done.

After you get caught up money wise find a shop/independent that can get the full service done minus any thing you have already done. the bike should be safe to use after doing the belts and tires but you really do want to get the tune done as soon as possible.

I have people come in all the time and have me just do what they can't or have me teach them how to tune the bike so at some point they can do the job themselves. Check the other riders in your area to find out who the good shops are.
imola04
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 4:24 am Reply with quote

Got it today Very Happy

If I should post this question elsewhere let me know:

Are CaCyclewerks belts superior or inferior to Ducati belts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Filter-Oil-Belts-Spark-Plugs-Ducati-Monster-620-Ie-/362610872697?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Does that have everything I need to service the engine? Besides whatever specialty tools.
colin martin
MTS: 2005 620 (Yellow)

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:17 pm Reply with quote

Yes that will get you started. The CCW belts are probably as good as the originals. One or two people had trouble with them making a strange noise, but I don't think it was anything to worry about.