Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Advice needed on what to buy
mr.vince0
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:44 pm Reply with quote

Advice needed on what to buy. Reviews on the Multistrada and Vstrom both sound too good to be true. Does anyone have experience with either or both? Consider:
Fun factor
cost to buy/maintain
sex appeal

thanks Think
wayward
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:55 pm Reply with quote

The V-Strom is a nice bike, personally I prefer the 650 over the 1000. The brakes left something to be desired on the 1000 but were OK on the 650. Overall the V-Strom is a GOOD bike, not a great bike. It is a great value for the money so if you are budget conscious it is a bike to consider. The V-Strom does have the Multistrada beat in the cost to own and maintain category but the Multistrada lays waste to it in the Fun Factor and Sex Appeal categories. The V-Strom is what it was intended to be, relatively inexpensive utilitarian transportation. If you look at your bike as point A to point B transportation the V-Strom is great but if you look at your bike as a toy to be played with or like I do as therapy to unwind after work or burn off stress on a weekend ride through the twisties then the Multistrada is the ticket.

jmerl
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:39 pm Reply with quote

Mr. Vinco,

I've had my multi since last spring and put 3K on it. A friend recently bought a 03 1000 V-Strom and I've been able to ride it some. To your specifics: Fun factor - while the Suzuk is a fun bike being very powerful, and nimble, in terms of feel, sound, etc. the duck has it beat easy. Sex appeal too. Cost to buy maintain, the duck is goign to run way more esp since used VS's seem to be going very cheap, at least that was my friends experience. He paid about $5K for the 03 w/ 10K miles. The bike had new tires, 3 Givis and looked brand new. I would rate the Suz as being the more comfortable as it is smoother riding, had a smoother motor, has a better seat and probably more wind protection available at least considering aftmkt shields. Its a bit more powerful too although somewhat heavier. Should be a better touring bike, requiring less maint, less money to purchase. So if you are looking to max your bang for your buck, or if you plan on doing a lot of longer touring go w/ the Suz.

If you can spend a little more tho, then get ye, a Duc.
mandrbarrett
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:13 am Reply with quote

Vince,

I've never tried a Vstrom, but have had Japanese bikes for the past 18 years. Always hankered after an Italian, but I convinced myself that it'd be unreliable, expensive to run, and would fall apart, so was not the sensible choice. Earlier this year I spotted a Multi at a great price so took the plunge and wish I had done years ago.

The whole ownership experience is so different to a Jap bike. Whenever I stop at traffic lights or park up I get admiring looks from other bikers, and people want to talk about it. On top of that it doesn't corrode, is reliable, and hasn't failed to start despite standing outside in all weathers during the day. I commute to work all year round on my bike and this autumn it has stood outside in pouring rain all day, got very muddy going home, and each weekend it cleans up like new with a thorough wash.

Buy one, you'll love it. I just wish I'd been braver a few years ago.

Mark.
dnldfte
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:18 pm Reply with quote

I have always owned Japanese street bikes. I prefer Husqvarna for the dirt though. I decided to take the plunge in 01 and bought a 748. I absolutely love the bike and have not experienced any reliability issues what so ever. I do wish however that I would have bought the S model 748 when I had the chance but I did not, the extra money would have been worth it. When the 748 became too uncomfortable for 2 up riding, the wife showed a tendency toward crushing my nads against the tank, I decided to look for a cruiser. We sat on an ST2 and it actually sat identical to my 748 with helibars. We sat on a Multi and knew immediately that it was the bike for us. I searched extra hard for an S model and Me and the wife love to ride the Multi through the osarks. I still love the 748 though and keep it for my solo rides. I personally have never sat on a Vstrom I like the way they look. The suzuki will never hold the resale value of the Ducati and will never have the same mystique.