Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Can't believe the height
Goto page Previous  1, 2
rasty
MTS: 2005 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:46 am Reply with quote

Yeah well. I struggle to reach 5' 6" and started off wanting a lowering link but the problem seems to have gone away - you seem to develop a knack for sliding over one way or the other and getting plenty of foot on the ground. A tripod is about as stable as it gets so I stick to most of one or the other foot on the ground or the toes of both. As somchoi says " who wants to stop anyway??"
clockwork orange
MTS: 2005 620 (Orange)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:18 am Reply with quote

rasty wrote:
you seem to develop a knack for sliding over one way or the other and getting plenty of foot on the ground. A tripod is about as stable as it gets so I stick to most of one or the other foot on the ground or the toes of both.

Pretty much what I do. The seat is quite narrow at the front, so I shuffle forwards some as well when I HAVE to stop!!!
dartfrog
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:25 pm Reply with quote

I am @ 5-8 and had the lower link installed. Still need to shuffle to one side to get flat footed.

By the way Ken your tail light I bought form you is looking and working great and I get lots of compliments.

Charlie

fmechini
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:04 pm Reply with quote

taylorduc wrote:
Had a client drop off a Multi today. The first Multi that's I've ever ridden. I can't believe this thing is so tall. I only have a 30" inseam and was on my toes. It's already bad enough to be on my toes on the 900SS, but this thing is huge... I was scared of tippng it over. had to have on my taller guys pull it into the garage.

All you Multi guys must be giants.... 5'7"

Ken
Ken's Custom

move forward really close to the tank and you will reach more ...

Fred

2005 Red Ducati Multistrada "la signorina"
2003 Blue Suzuki DR650 "il muletto"
KTM 950
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:23 pm Reply with quote

Habanero

It sounds like you need a KTM 950 Adventure like I need a Ducati Multistrada. Great minds think alike-WE NEED BOTH!

I have a silver KTM 950 not the S model. There was quite a bit of front end dive when I went riding a demo "S" in the tight curves on the road. The standard KTM 950 hs plenty of travel. You can hit RR tracks a 70mph and not feel a thing. If a 2X4 were to be on the interstate the KTM will just run right over it. On my Ducati Monster it would be road rash for sure.

The KTM is very composed on rough paved roads. Dirt roads are fine but knobbie tires are recommended if thats the primary type of roads being traveled. I mainly use the bike to connect between paved roads...like 80% paved and 20% gravel. Take care and the first guy with both bikes wins.
Habanero
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:00 pm Reply with quote

Hey KTM950...

>>It sounds like you need a KTM 950 Adventure like I need a Ducati Multistrada. Great minds think alike-WE NEED BOTH! <<

you got it, never too many arrows in the quiver.

Yes, I was really impressed with the dual capabilities of that bike. Did you ride the 640 Adventure? Since I do intend to use the KTM for off road intensive travel, the lighter 640 looks very impressive, also. They are tough to find for a test ride. There is supposed to be one available to ride here soon, I look forward to checking that out also.

>>Take care and the first guy with both bikes wins.<<

yer on!
GrayMia
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:27 am Reply with quote

...If you think the Multi is tall, sit on a Buell Ulysses!! Shocked

View my Duc at: http://www.graymia.com/Ducati.htm
pinkiewerewolf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:41 pm Reply with quote

Agreed, the Ulysses is far too tall for the 5'8" crowd like me. I understand the posts stating you'll get used to the height once it is rolling. True for most bikes whether it is height or weight you are referring to. But if you are taking a passenger and you are uncomfortable with the height or weight of a bike, you better get a different bike. Like a 620. Or modify the 1000 to fit you. Sooner or later, you will find out that you do have to stop.
Bravado = roadrash, bruises, breaks, = pissed off passenger, or worse.
If you're going to be riding exclusively solo. Then the height isn't that much of an issue.
iglooboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:24 am Reply with quote

5' 6" here as well. I use the same technique as Rasty and Clockwork orange. Shuffle up to the front of the seat and off to one side or the other a little (depending on the road camber), no problems!
Having good fitting leather trousers that don't restrict your leg movement help. I use Alpinestar Bat pants, plenty of stretch panels on the inseam.
You can also take a bit of preload out of the front forks to lower it a bit which also brings them into the correct range (for me anyway, I weigh 9 stone 9). I don't reccommend softening the rear though, the spring is too light for me let alone a bigger guy!
jck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:50 pm Reply with quote

Great topic....new to this board, and always lusted after the Italians....My K12RS has gotten too short for me, the old knees are creaking after every ride....6'6" 220....I'm looking at the dualies just for that reason...GS, Uly, or MTS.....You guys really have me thinking now...I guess I need to ride one....The Uly wheelbase seems way too short, the GS way too expensive....KTM is too dirt bike.....maybe a black MTS......

past: R100RS
past: T140V Bonneville