Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Anyone gone from a sports bike to Multistrada?
stuart lee
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:17 am Reply with quote

hey All,

My first post here as I am thinking about selling the sports 600 and buying a Multistrada, and have already had a good read through the boards on here.

Unlike most, I like the looks, but love the concept of a sports/supermoto/traillie bike. All the monthly sportsbike mags have raved about the multistrada as a great alternative to a sports bike, but a lot of you guys seem to have come from big traillie bikes.

Can anyone give me a real owners view of the transition from sports bike to MS?

Also, do you expect the manufacturers to drop the price after its been on the market for 6 months like everyone else does? At £7,000GBP (cheapest) it is a lot of cash.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:53 am Reply with quote

Coming from a ST4 the mts shines below 80 and the ST4 always wanted to be up there. I really appreciate the forgivingness with bumps cause I try to spend as much time as possible exploring new roads and tend to get sucked into blind decreasing radius bumps and sandy turns all the time and the bike really saves my butt. Don
janleermakers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:22 am Reply with quote

hi,

i rode an 748 and for a short period an 749s. There is much more comfort in the Multi for daily use on the road but i had to get used to the lack of ground clearance on the right side (unfortunately resulting in me crashing the Multi in august). Also the roadholding of the Multi isn't as good as the sportsbike at high speeds but the comfort makes up for it !

greets, Jan Leermakers
vduc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:58 pm Reply with quote

Hello, I'm new to the list. I got my Multistrada about 3 weeks ago. I still have a 749S, and for most riding the Multistrada does the trick and it does it without a lot of effort. I rode the 749S for the first time in 3 weeks the other 30 miles of twisty roads, and 70 of straight line highways, for my pace on the street I sometimes question keeping it. I'm lucky that I also have an Aprilia RS250 for the track were I can get the hard riding out of my system. The Multistrada makes a great all arounder (once I do something about the seat) that can be ridden hard and not give up a bunch on the street.

Vito
chris92

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:56 pm Reply with quote

Hi Stu
I came from a triumph daytona 600 to the mts and i could not be more pleased. The riding position suits far better (i am 6 2) The trumpet needed to be in double figures to get any real get up and go where i feel the mts goes from anywhere. You feel you are going faster when you are not (happy license) and the luggage thing is a nice option if you need to go anywhere and not take the car.

Granted the 1st serv cost (150) and the others are a bit scarey but thats what happens with ducati

And sad i know but i wanted the badge and not a bad back wrists etc

Hope that helps

Chris
tall_laddie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:52 am Reply with quote

Hi Stuart,

I'm also a very new Multistrada owner - picked mine up last friday. Did 450 miles over the weekend and I have to say i think it's the best biking decision i've made yet.

Traded on my 2002 Fireblade for the Ducati. A strange choice you may think given how incredible the Fireblade is.
However, my decision was largely fueled by health reasons. I have problems with my hip joints and the Blade was killing me when i went out on it for more than half an hour at a time.
Also, i was starting to questoin the need for a bike that does 168 mph on Brittish roads. It's kinda asking for trouble!

The Ducati is a different best all together! It's very comfy for me (6'2") and takes a bit of getting used to. But when you do, it's a blast. The V-twin makes for great fun through the revs. The bike go's quick when you want it to and the torque low down (compared to the Blade) just makes me laugh every time i twist the throttle! It's a hoot!

There were a miltitude of other bikes to concider but I wanted something a bit different. LAst weekend when i pulled into the car park with R1's (2004 model), CBR's and Fazers; no-one gavce them a second look but the Ducati draws a lot of attention.

As mentioned before, the service price can be a bit scary but it's a small price to pay this much fun and indeviduality.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris
------
Rocker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:30 pm Reply with quote

I came from ZX-9 via a ZRX1200R to a MS and have no regrets at all. I find it even more fun in real world conditions

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:27 pm Reply with quote

i owned a 999 before and bought the multi after an testdrive ! We went to the WDW and on the mountain roads (spluga pass, julier pass,bernina pass) al the superbikes are no match for the multi , exept the monsters!!! but on the highway i can't hold up with them ! not enough power and brakes insufficient at high speeds !!!! and no comfort at all above 150 km/h. There is also a big difference between riding with panniers and without !!! i prefer without and so did the rest
Fun with the multi in the city (zurich) and comfortabel on small twisty roads, combined with an gps V from garmin i had a great time (exept belt almost broke on the highway between bologna and cattolica ! lukcky me , no damage and all fixed at the WDW ! with many thanks to Oliver Aerts from
Ducati North Europe for helping me out !!! This is wat i call service with a big S !!
Greetzzz Ducati Riders Belgium
Prof
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:44 pm Reply with quote

I can echo what has already been said.

I had both a BMW 1150 GS and a Yamaha Yhundercat (at the same time) before I went to the MTS. I sold the GS to pay for the MTS but I then found the T'cat was redundant - i didn't ride it with the MTS in the garage - So that went too!

I now just have the MTS - great bike - does everything I need - City traffic - occasional trips of 3-400 miles and pillion friendly (more so than the GS)

Just take a test ride - That's what sold it to me

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:59 am Reply with quote

Stuart,

I came from sportsbikes(abiet still Ducatis) and had a rave on the `strada and one of my regular riding buddies has gone from CBR600 to `strada after riding my `strada.The `strada can live with most sportsbikes untill the fast sweeping Aroads arrive,then the confidence of the riding position of a full on sportsbike takes over, but this doesn`t happen on the road untill very illegal speeds are taking place Naughty Like tall laddie said you better like attention `cos the `strada certianly attracts it Cool I have since returned to sportsbikes for one reason or another(my love of the 888 Embarassed )but if I was in a position to have two bikes the `strada would definitly be one of them!There a times when I really miss it Shh but don`t tell Doc!