Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: 2004 Multistrada Question?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Newtfox
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:47 pm Reply with quote

Well I am looking at getting rid of my BMW R1150R for a Multistrada. My question is I am finding alot of leftover new 2004's around here(Ohio). My question is should I look for a 2005 since it has all the changes or go for a 2004? I have seen 2004's new going for around $9700. Let me know since I have limited knowledge on this bike right now. Aslo has anybody gone from an R1150R to a Multi? Thanks!
tolski

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:05 pm Reply with quote

Newtfox wrote:
has anybody gone from an R1150R to a Multi?

Previous bike was an R850R, I'll never know why I bought it. The Multi is a different ball game. If you haven't already taken a test ride then do because it'll blow you away.

tolski

MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:22 am Reply with quote

I'm in Cincinnnati- whre in Ohio are you?

I came from an 1100S to a Multi- both excellent bikes, but the Multi puts a grin on my face like nothing else I've ever ridden!

The changes from 2004 to 2005 and 2006 are minimal- mainly a better seat, sidestand, and mirrors. The sidestand should be a free recall/update-some folks on the board have also gotten the new mirrors as a recall. The 2004 seat was a complete POS- I went to a Corbin since the wife wanted a backrest anyway, and have loved it.

Go for it- you'll love your Multi!

Dave
Newtfox

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:30 am Reply with quote

I am north of Dayton in Tipp City. I also have an Aprilia Futura so I am looking at the Multi as a second bike. Drdave did you buy yours from JD performance?
Doc
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:08 am Reply with quote

Newtfox wrote:
I also have an Aprilia Futura so I am looking at the Multi as a second bike.

It bet it will be the other way around when you get the Multi Smile , the Futura will be begging you for a ride Whistle Mr. Green

Doc

atwood
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:27 pm Reply with quote

You should be able to find an '04 for less than $9700, probably closer to $9k nowadays.

The savings over an '05 should be more than enough to purchase an '05 or aftermarket seat and possibly the FAR mirror upgrades and still have some $ leftover. Definitely ask for the '05 kickstand free upgrade, its about 1000% better than the '04.

Last edited by atwood on Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
jwible
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:01 pm Reply with quote

I paid 8500 for my '04 from a private seller. 8700 miles on the odometer and he had updated the seat and suspension and he bought the '05 side stand and mirrors.

I'm thinking you should offer in the low 8k range
bkbjmb
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:33 pm Reply with quote

I paid $7,800 for my '04. It was a dealer demo with 865 mi on it. I haven't seen any other dealer come close to this but it's something to shoot for. The dealer I bought it from took care of replacing the sidestand and the mirrors. The bike also came with a Sargent seat.

blurin03
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:42 am Reply with quote

Paid $8200 2 months ago.
'04 1000 red
3600 miles
sidestand and oil lines done under warrantee
handguards
14 tooth front spocket
warrantee until sept.
ZG screen
34L side bags
Purchased from a member of this site...Did I forget anything Brad?

3 weeks ago I went to dealer and asked about getting my mirrors replaced under warrantee, they said no.
Went to a different dealer, they replaced them in a week, go figure.

Good luck!
Activator
MTS: 2006 620 (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:48 pm Reply with quote

DrDave39 -

I am considering trading my R1100S for a Multistrada (possibly the 620). I just don't ride the S as much as I should, because I've realized it is just TOO much bike for the real-world "around town errands with some backroad twisties thrown in" riding I actually do. The solid feel of the S is nice at 80mph, but it is heavy around town, and the servo brakes are a drag.

2 years ago, I was across between the Multistrada and the S, and went with the S. But now I'm not sure I made the right decision. At the time, the Multi was a brand new model (reliability?), had issues with the seat, mirrors, etc. The S was - and still is - one of the most gorgeous bikes ever designed, was a "BMW" and, at the time, I had visions of putting mega-miles on the bike.

I love the S for many reasons. But I've also never been 100 percent comfortable on it. I sat on a MTS 1000/620 the other day, and it felt/fit was like it was made for me! (I'm 6'4" tall, 200 lbs.)

I am angling for the 620, which sounds like it will have plenty of power for my comparitively tame riding needs. I also like the lighter clutch and slipper for around town riding. The only things I wish the MTS had, compared to the S, is ABS, heated grips and a shaft drive. (Though the driveline "lash" of the S shaft is annoying!)

Any thoughts/regrets trading the S for the MTS?
hjr1100s

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:36 pm Reply with quote

In an earlier post i wrote

"Reliability is OK but less then the BMW. I still own my 100.000+ km's R1100S. It had to stand in for the Multi on multiple occasions ...

You'll have fun on the Multi, but it won't let you ride as fast/push as hard as the BMW. Stability on the Multi is definitely less (especially on poor road surface an while cornering), fun and flickability is better though."

I've decided to keep the R1100S and sell the Multi .... but no luck so far. If you're only riding for fun, the Multi is your thing! Cost of maintenance and reliability are only slightly less than the BMW.

HJ
Newtfox

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:23 pm Reply with quote

Well I am going to go test ride a Monster S2R1000 and a Multistrada 620 tomorrow (they don't have a 1000 demo). This dealer has a 2005 Multi 1000DS but he wants 10,700 for it and I think that is high for a 2005. What do you guys think? So far thats as low as I can get them to go on the price.
Robert Bloch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:48 pm Reply with quote

I saw a dealer invoice for that model and (if I recall) he's only making about $500 at that price. They had the free service deal until mar 1. I don't know if its still on but if not, you should be able to get him lower. By the way, I bought a 2005 1000 DS on that deal at that price about a month ago. I checked about 7 northeast dealers then and, except for demo models, that was in the ball park. Good luck.
Newtfox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:39 pm Reply with quote

Well I rode the Multi 620 and the S2R 1000. All I can say is WOW! Ducatis feel like half the weight of my BMW and Aprilia when riding and are very flickable. The dealer is uncrating an Multi S model in a 1000 so I can demo the larger engine. I am still on the fence though because I really liked the monster. I am just a little worried the monster will feel cramped after a short while on the bike so no decision as of yet.
Multimoto

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:16 pm Reply with quote

Newtfox, I bought my '04 DS last June ('05), new at Competition Accessories (not far from you) for under $9K. This was a short time offer due to a $2K rebate from the factory. I couldn't pass it by - and wanted a Multi anyway.

Comp Access has sold Ducati for years, but really isn't a "proper" Ducati dealer. They did, however, change my sidestand to an '05 spec, under warranty. I took the bike 186 miles (each way) up to Crooked River in Akron for the first big service. I trust them, and will take it back for the 6K.

If you keep an eye on Competition Accessories (and Ducati), they may come up with another spring rebate. I also looked at JD Performance in Cincy, but they couldn't match the price (this makes me an unintentionally "bad" Ducati shoper since Ducati offers different deals to different dealers). I thought JD was a "grumpy" place (maybe because I'm "bad") - and only open until 3PM on Saturday, anyway.

I live in Yellow Springs - a few miles south of Springfield. If you have any updated dealer advice/experience, I'd be interested in hearing it.

Budget mods I've made include '05-spec mirrors, Sargent saddle, horn upgrade, different grips, FAMSA tankbag, Zero Gravity ST screen, etc. Would eventually like Staintune cans (or full system).

BMW R100RS
Laverda RGS1000
BMW R65LS
Yamaha SR500