Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Stuck in desicion making!
multiwegjohn
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:32 pm Reply with quote

Hi, hope somebody can help me aub? I'm looking at 2 completely different bikes, a BMW R1150GS Adventure which is well made, holds it's value but is very expensive. Or do I go for the character & beauty of the red Multistrada that seemed to be falling apart when I took one on a short test ride, the mirrors also seemed pretty useless compared to the BMW's clear & well spaced mirrors. Funnily enough my heart says go for the Multistrada but my head says it must be the GS. Help please Confused
Ducatifool
MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:56 pm Reply with quote

About the mirrors:
It is not important what is behind you when you driving a Multistrada.
Buy it with your heart and you wil never regret it.

If you see a little man in the Netherlands smiling all day long, it is me because i like driving this beautiful Ducati.

Jan.
Jantah
Site Admin
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 6:32 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, I was facing about the same decision, being split between the new TDM900 and the Multistrada. My old TDM has never let me down, has given my nothing but pleasure, and everything that was wrong(ish) with it has been fixed on the 900. The Yamaha was the wise man's choise off course, so I chose the Ducati Smile.
I did convince myself that no decision is even final. If the Multistrada had been a big disappointment, I would just have swapped it for a Yamaha next year. Trust me, I won't Mr. Green
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger Top
don pussehl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:01 pm Reply with quote

Having never been a good sharer I think you should buy the BMW then when the new improved model comes along next year you can really wish you hadnt. For me having had an oilhead;it is too much of a car while Ducatis have always appealed to me as bicycles with motors wadded into them. Dr T once said that the japanese make easy cars and we make difficult bicycles. Which way you go is up to what appeals to you but Ducatis have always been demanding of emotion. Don
MultiMan1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:14 pm Reply with quote

Well, this is not exactly an unbiased bunch, but I had looked at BMWs too before making my choice.

I see your options as basically two different bikes. If you're about to quit your day job, head off around the world, and have long, strong legs, then I'd lean towards the BMW Adventure. It's already proven itself in that realm. If you're mixing up your rides and can benefit from a lighter, more road-oriented bike, then the MS is your choice.

While I'd like to view myself as someone who's about to chuck it all for an around-the-world trip, my reality is different.

But sod the analysis. The MS is a Ducati that comes in red...seems a good enough justification to choose one...!
vduc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:19 am Reply with quote

I test rode the BMW R1150GS (regular not the Adventure), Aprilia CapoNard, Triumph Tiger, before settling on the Multistrada. The BMW was a close second, due to the cost, weird linked brakes, and shear size. The windshield and gauges being so far out made it if feel like I was riding from the back seat. My head said the say thing, but being a long time Ducati owner, the BMW really didn't match the type of riding I really do. The dirt road, adventure part sounds all well, but do you really want a +550 lb "dirt" bike?

Buy whatever makes you smile, and feel good when you look at it and ride it.

Good Luck,

Vito
scottfla

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:40 pm Reply with quote

i too had the same experience in selecting a ride. although the ms is not an easy bike to own, it is really different and has loads of character. great handler and superior overall performance. i've owned everything from a bsa victor to harleys and the japanese line. the duck is the ride for this decade. cheers, scott -- even with all the problems and shortcomings
Multibound

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:34 am Reply with quote

Im in the same dilema. I do like the R1150GS BMW for all around riding. But the price is scaring me away and yes it is heavy as hell. But riding it is as nice a sitting in a mobile couch. hehe
Im still leaning towards the MS for more of a all around bike. I dont do a whole lot of long tours so the MS should fill that need. Plus im waiting until this winter to purchase. Hopefully Ducati will have some bugs worked out on there 2004models coming off the production line this winter.

Art

multiwegjohn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:25 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies & advice guys, I'm still in two minds as I can get a better trade in with the BMW, but I just love the MTS Very Happy ! I ride all year round & go on long tours, so I really need a reliable, comfortable bike too. Has anybody tried the comfort zadel or heated grips yet? What tools do you carry, as you couldn't really call the MTS's comprehensive Sad ?
Especially for adjusting the chain, mirrors etc.
Cheers John