Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: buying ex-demo
scoobontour
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:10 pm Reply with quote

Hi all,
great site, for an about to be MS owner this has persuaded me even more!
anyway the question is, dealer has a 2Kmiles 5 months old ex-demo MS knocking about 1.5Kpounds off the new list price.
Does that sound like a good deal? and if so what should I be looking for in terms of wear/servicing etc so I don't get screwed.
any help much appreciated

Paul
russmu66

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:24 pm Reply with quote

I'm pretty good friends with the guy who owns my local Ducati dealership. I bought their demo bike off them and he worked on the principle of knocking off $1(AUS) for every kilometre the bike had done. With converting miles to kms and pounds to $... it's all to hard.... you work it out Think Eh?
spo002

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:12 pm Reply with quote

A friend of mine bought a demo bike with 8500 euro. I thing that if you dont get that deal dont think about it. And ofcourse you should ge a full 2 year guaranty. If you think that a demo bike doesnt run in at all, imagine the consecuences of that to the motor.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:24 pm Reply with quote

Hey...everybody beats a demo bike...If you are into "proper" breaking in a motor then...... I had a ex-demo ST4 and thousands of miles later the valve train sure did seem to require lots of shims every service...it did not seem to "hold a tune" very long. That said lots of folks seem to believe that with modern synthetic oils the motors are ready to go . Don
madmatt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:05 pm Reply with quote

I just bought a demo multi with 1500 miles on it. they took $1 off for each mile on the bike, and went through the bike. If you trust the dealer you should be ok. I test rode this demo many months ago, and when I rode it, it already had a lot of miles on it. The dealer may break it in before putting it out for demo, I'm not sure. I wouldn't say everyone beats on a demo. I know I don't. If it still has a 2yr warranty you should not have a problem, I know I'm not worried.
Prof
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:51 am Reply with quote

One of the problems with a demo Multistrada is the very fact that the bike just begs to be ridden - It takes no time to get used to the position and it is very easy to thrash on the demo ride - I did an hour of twisties, motorway and back roads on the demo ride I had - all with a passenger.
I didn't thrash the engine - but I didn't hold it back - and it had done 800 miles.

I bought a new one! The demo ride sold it to me.

However, the various posts about engine breaking-in all seem to suggest that the old-style running-in period is not so crucial any longer, but I rode mine carefully for the first 1200 miles.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:05 am Reply with quote

I bought mine last November from On Yer Bike Aylesbury. Silver Ducati demo bike, 6500miles but with Termis chip etc. Whisker under £6000. Hope that helps. Bike has none of the problems of others luckily except the stupid fuel guage!!! Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:54 am Reply with quote

OK... I'm probably going to get a few disagreements with this email... but I 'll add my bit to the discussion. There are some schools of thought with modern motorcycles, especially performance bikes, that provided they are adequately warmed up first, a good thrashing during the run in period, can be quite beneficial for the engine. Ducati engines are typically very tight, straight out of the factory so "loosening" them up can be good for them.

My "other" bike is a 2000 996SPS that went straight to the race track with less than 500kms on it for setup and testing, and was racing with less than 1000kms on the engine. Three years later I now have it set back up for road use, and where ever I go, fellow Ducati owners comment favourably on the "crisp" and free spinning feel of my engine. One of my best friends is a Ducati mechanic and he rides these types of bikes all the time, and he says none of them feel as good as mine.

Any one else hear of this running in theory???
Jantah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:14 pm Reply with quote

There is a thread about running in the engine on this forum: Running in the engine. I myself did not hold back for the first 50 or so kilometers, since that's where most of the running in takes place, and according to the new theory you need to run it in hard.

Last weekend I had the bike on the dyno, bit disappointing: 81 Hp and 83 Nm (note, this is with Termignoni!). Apart from the lowish figures, the graphs look perfect, and the Co2 measurement showed that the mixture was good. Torque is amazing, almost a flatline from 4,000 up to 7,000 rpm. As far as I know, with a standard exhaust power should be around 84 Hp, with an additional 1 or 2 with the Termi installed. Maybe I didn't run it in hard enough, or maybe too hard, or maybe the process was spoiled after a cilinder has been removed this winter.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger Top
eReM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:18 pm Reply with quote

I had my bike on the Fuchs bench:
83.7 hp @ 7774rpm and 86.3 Nm @ 4874!
this is with Termi and after blueprint.
I was a bit disappointed with the figures because the bike feels so strong now. and the driveability is so much better. the top torque is 1000rpm lower than before!
the bottleneck is the catalysator! the only way to gain HP is to 'loose the blob'
scoobontour

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:33 pm Reply with quote

well , i bought it anyway Smile
test ride for 1.5 hours was more than sufficient.
I pick up on sat, with hugger and confort screen(with spoiler)
thanks

Paul
ERWIN

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:19 pm Reply with quote

Did put my bike on a Dyno FUCHS
Before removing airrestrictors : 82.5 bhp at 7158 rpm and 9.3 mkg at 5445 rpm.
After removing the restrictors : 83.3 bhp at 7241 rpm and 9.3 mkg at 5485. Changed nothing else, everything is standard. So where is the benefit of spending 1250 € for Termis ( just the sound ) ?
rickko

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 6:16 pm Reply with quote

My dealer says that removal of the katalysator only gives the bike approx. 2 hp's more.
My weight is just about 67 kg so relatively I have more hp's on my rearwheel than someone who's weight is much more than mine.
So I dont do anything on the engine performance (just termi's but thats just "fun increase". The MTS has to make more noise than standard in my taste.

Rickko
chris92

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 4:03 pm Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I bought an ex demo MS for 6300 with 128 miles on it.
Yes I was worried that as an ex demo every man and his dog would have jumped on and thrashed it to death. But the price convinced me as it gave money for carbon bits screens seat termi panniers etc.
So I am not too fussed now
I think the money saving will come up trumps over the running in debate

Only going to keep it for two years anyway then maybe get another one