Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Dilemma... S2R 800 or MTS 620???
Goto page 1, 2  Next
multitaska
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:09 am Reply with quote

Hi, I have been entering the bike world (reading magz/books on motorcyles and riding techniques/safety) and will be attending the basic rider's course offered here in Sol CA soon and will be receiving my license soon after.

I plan on purchasing a bike later this summer or early fall and have found myself caught between two bikes for my first motorcycle... the MTS 620 and S2R 800. I know that many ppl out there say to start off on something smaller or a 250, I've considered it, but w/ my 6' 3" frame and friends telling me that I'll grow out of it quickly, plus I really want a duc, I therefore decided that one of these 2 bikes would be a more suitable choice for me. (also considered the 695, but w/ the lowered seat height and controversal comments on the ergos on the 620, which has the same dimensions, I X'd it out)

I have read numerous reviews/tests on both bikes (personal and professional) and each bike definately has it's pros and cons. I would also like to say that I dont plan on buying a new bike for my first bike.

Pros for me:

S2R - more grunt and accessable power (that 803cc sound, mmm...), luv the overall design a bit more than the mts' (no offense to mts lovers out there)

MTS - more comfortable ergos, much more practical, has that "luv or hate it" design (which I have come to truly appreciate, cuz it just makes sense)

I also plan to be driving up north to Seattle WA maybe once a year. So I know in this aspect the mts is a much better choice, but if I go w/ the S2R I just plan on buying the touring saddle for it.

Anyways opinions/responses will be much appreciated, 'cuz I've hit a fork in the road and each path looks great. Wall

Grazie grazie. (in advance)

Last edited by multitaska on Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:35 am; edited 3 times in total
xmonster
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:47 am Reply with quote

I'm 6'2", a recent convert to an MTS 620 and a former M900 owner.
The Monster was a blast, great for short trips but very cramped after a while. On a 600km day i found the last hour or few VERY uncomfortable, although i have been a licensed rider for 25 years so not as flexible as i used to be.
Haven't had the MTS long enough to do a decent length ride yet (200km max so far) but the ergo's are light years ahead, and it has a decent pillion seat. I think the 620 motor is a little ripper too, have been pleasantly surprised.
For me though i would go year one on a cheap pre loved bike, something you won't mind getting a scratch or two on.
BRG
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:04 am Reply with quote

Quote:
but w/ my 6' 3" frame

multitaska, I've just had an S2R-800 as a courtesy bike for two days while mine was being serviced.

I am 1.88m (6'2") and, much like xmonster, found the riding position of the Monster sporty, but ultimately uncomfortable, and brought back a few wrist, back and neck aches after around 30 miles, and there's a big bruise under my chin where my knees kept hitting! I was glad to get my Multi back.

I also found that the Monster was not as manoeuvrable at town speeds.

As for the power of the 800, well, I'm glad I've got the 1000!

'06 Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory 'Nibelung'
slugulike
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:19 am Reply with quote

HI Multitaska,
I had a Monster 800 Sie for 3 years and found the performance, riding position and looks to be fantastic (IMO the S2R looks even better)

I started using the monster for longer trips and found the riding position to be too 'sporty' so I changed to a 1000 MTS because the riding position was more comfortable.

My only reservation with the 620 MTS versus the 800 Monster would be that the 620 won't perform as well as the 800 Monster. Try the 1000 MTS see what you think, that way you get the power (and some) of the 800 Monster with the ergonomics of the MTS.

Happy Riding

Daryl

Cleto

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:08 am Reply with quote

Hi there,

I recently took delivery of a new MTS 620 having sold my scooter (200cc).

I was keen to have a commuter that could offer comfort as well as some out of town fun. This bike does just that. I am 177cm (or 5ft 9) tall and I find the riding position comfortable for both city-traffic and for higher speeds. All the test reports I read during my pondering phase pointed towards the MTS 620 being a great all-rounder for 7 days a weeks and easy for a rider of any proficiency level to get on with - I have to say the handling is superb and very forgiving. The only thing that took a little getting used to was the hydraulic clutch. Soft lever but a little unpredictable on the release till you get used to it.

Can't really comment on the Monster although I see you got some useful feedback from this thread which would seem to favour the MTS. Although having said that, a friend of mine (who has the S2R) just returned to Rome from a 2-week road-trip to London with his dad (who has an ST2). Apparently he was okay with the long ride but I am sure his Dad was far better off for the long trip with the ST2.

Anyway, good luck with your eventual decision.

Cleto

P.S. Don’t be put off by the smaller 618 cc – it’s got plenty of grunt in reserve and the fairly light (183kg) frame renders the power-delivery more than sufficient for the beginner/intermediate level rider - and it's a Ducati.

’06 Multistrada 620
loop
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:08 am Reply with quote

hi
my uncle has the s2r it has problem with the suspenssions and the brakes ,he has taken the front and rear susp for service but it cant be (revalving) he only changed front springs and oil and the front came to an acceptable condition but the rear has no cure!. the brakes are good in the start but after a little pushing the lose the bite and they slide.
for the multi 620 i dont know but keep the comments for the s2r in mind my uncle is very unhappy with the bike. his previous bike was a monster 600 and it was hard and solid as rock. he thinks that duc takes a more jappanese aproach with the s2r. i recomand to take an 1000ds as a first bike it only has 84 hp and it is really smooth. it might be 1000 but it is not gsxr or r1. it is a friendy bike with a little rough charachter.
thats all from me hope i helped!

MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:46 am Reply with quote

Before my multi I had a monster 620 (same motor as the mts 620).
I am 1.95m and I can tell you that only for the ergos you should go with the multi.
The looks of the monster are fantastic but they cannot help with the pain after 2 hours of riding.
As for the 620 vs 1000 motor, I can tell you that although it´s always nice to have some extra hp, the 620 is just fine for a young rider IMHO.

What ever you do, welcome to the Ducati world!
lotus54
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:39 pm Reply with quote

Have you ridden them both? If the 620 is low on power for you, then try the 1000. I haven't ridden a 620 yet, so I have no personal input on that score.
For distance riding, the MTS should be way above the Monster, especially considering the paniers/tailbox etc. I think the MTS is great around town and short rides too, just leave the panniers at home.

Mark
wahtab

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:47 pm Reply with quote

[quote="lotus54"]Have you ridden them both? If the 620 is low on power for you, then try the 1000. I haven't ridden a 620 yet, so I have no personal input on that score.
For distance riding, the MTS should be way above the Monster, especially considering the paniers/tailbox etc. I think the MTS is great around town and short rides too, just leave the panniers at home.

Mark[/quote

Recently rode the MTS-620 two-up on and around the Blue Ridge Parkway for 3-days ( combined load ~ 340# ). Took hwy-276 and -215 several times. Absolutely perfect for me both in terms of engine braking and torque. 2-nd gear was usually sufficient for most of the climbs; and 2-nd, 3rd or even 4th for most of the descents. Elevation ranged from 2000' in the valleys to 6000' at the high point on the Parkway ( had 9-degree climbs for sure, possibly greater in some areas ). The bike has more than enough power. Don't let the 618-cc displacement fool you!

b.h.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:19 pm Reply with quote

I've ridden an M620, and S2R 800, and I own a MTS1000.

the 620 and 800 actually don't feel all that different. the 1000DS motor feels much stronger than both.

having said that, neither the 620 or 800 are lacking in power, especially for a beginner.

as far as comfort goes, even the MTS gets uncomfortable for me on long rides. However, the seat is big enough that I'm able to move around and at least temporarily ease the pain.
Activator
MTS: 2006 620 (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:30 pm Reply with quote

When I wanted a change from my BMW R1100S, I had planned on buying an MTS 1000 but, when I rode both the 1000 and the 620 1hr each, back-to-back, two days in a row (my dealer was VERY patient!), the 620 just felt better! Somehow I "connected" with it better.

The 1000 has more power on paper (and I'm sure it's better for two-up riding), but I didn't feel ANY lack of power from the 620. I'm 6'4", 200lbs.

One thing to keep in mind is that the 620 seems to have fewer trouble spots as compared to the 1000 (especially the earlier models). And the $4k+ you save will buy a LOT of upgrades! Such as Ohlins. Can anyone say "620 S"? Very Happy

Either way, the MTS is a win-win.

(Insurance on the 620 will be quite a bit cheaper as well, since they base the premiums on displacement CC's.)

(Oh, and the 620 gets about 60+mpg!)

2001 Aprilia "Pegaso" - Blue - Sold
multitaska

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:44 pm Reply with quote

Thank you all for all your input and warm welcoming. Mr. Green

Activator wrote:
When I wanted a change from my BMW R1100S, I had planned on buying an MTS 1000 but, when I rode both the 1000 and the 620 1hr each, back-to-back, two days in a row (my dealer was VERY patient!), the 620 just felt better! Somehow I "connected" with it better.

The 1000 has more power on paper (and I'm sure it's better for two-up riding), but I didn't feel ANY lack of power from the 620. I'm 6'4", 200lbs.

One thing to keep in mind is that the 620 seems to have fewer trouble spots as compared to the 1000 (especially the earlier models). And the $4k+ you save will buy a LOT of upgrades! Such as Ohlins. Can anyone say "620 S"? Very Happy

Either way, the MTS is a win-win.

(Insurance on the 620 will be quite a bit cheaper as well, since they base the premiums on displacement CC's.)

(Oh, and the 620 gets about 60+mpg!)

Thank you activator, I found your points very well made. but seriously?? around 60 mpg???

To those out there recommending the 1000, i personally dont think that any 1000 for my first bike would be necessay. (plus i dont even want2 think about insurance on a 1k as a first bike) Stubborn

I must admit I find myself leaning mor towards the s2r mor than the mts, but something keeps telling me not to overlook the mts. Also knowing that the mts will be cheaper (even mor cheaper considering that i'll be getting the dark version if i go w/ the mts) and w/ the money i will be saving over the s2r i will be modding the exhaust w/ the zard slip-on exhaust for the mts rite away. Drool (which is also the only mod i plan on) As for the s2r, I'll probably hav2 wait a little while before making any mods. (first to go will be the stock silencers and in w/ the zard ss/cf exhaust system) another Drool

So I'll definately be saving mor money on the mts, plus in a couple years I plan on selling my bike and getting a sportbike, either a new jap or a new duc. (if I buy the s2r it may be a few years before i sell it)

One main concern that I read in a review was complaint about the slight vibration that made the driver's hands tingle after a couple hours of rideing the 620 mts. Any comments on that?

Once again thank you all for your helpful input.

P.S.: Does the tan. red only come in the '06 model or do the '05s offer the same color? Also any 620 owners out ther w/ the zard slip-on? If so, could you please describe the sound and your opinion? Also is there any slight +hp w/ the slip-on change?
Cactus
MTS: 2006 620

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:56 am Reply with quote

I too was interested in the 1000 at first and ended up with prefering, and purchasing, the 620 for the same reasons that Activator mentioned above. I've added the Ducati Performance Termi/airbox/chip set to mine and still had a pile of $$$$ left vs buying the 1000.

I had a quick ride last week, hitting an indicated 124 mph on one stretch of the quiet rural highway, and it still managed to get 57 mpg on that tank-full.

Bar vibration...only the very slightest amount was ever detectable on my bike - and it went away completely when I added the R&G Racing bar-end sliders.

I've had a bigger engined Monster in the past - and this is a better ride in all ways and a far more modern machine.

This is a very sweet bike!

vtwinx2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:41 am Reply with quote

If I was a beginner and could only have one, I'd probably go with the M620. In fact I would recommend it. Great all around bike, as long as you aren't a really heavy guy or pack lots of luggage or ride two up very often. I have owned a monster 620 and by myself with no passenger or luggage it was great. Now I have a s2r 800 and a M1000s ds. I love them both for different reasons. If I could only have one it would be the multi.

As other monster owners will attest...you can't stop with the mods. I find the multi just fine as it is, except for exhaust.

But with a sargeant saddle and genmar bar risers, I have done 600 mile days with the s2r

Okay...just get both. When your'e an old man you won't regret it.
multitaska

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:59 am Reply with quote

Cactus wrote:
I too was interested in the 1000 at first and ended up with prefering, and purchasing, the 620 for the same reasons that Activator mentioned above. I've added the Ducati Performance Termi/airbox/chip set to mine and still had a pile of $$$$ left vs buying the 1000.

I had a quick ride last week, hitting an indicated 124 mph on one stretch of the quiet rural highway, and it still managed to get 57 mpg on that tank-full.

Bar vibration...only the very slightest amount was ever detectable on my bike - and it went away completely when I added the R&G Racing bar-end sliders.

I've had a bigger engined Monster in the past - and this is a better ride in all ways and a far more modern machine.

This is a very sweet bike!

Thank you Cactus for the very helpful post!

How do like that termi performance pkg? the sound? is the +hp noticeable? the main reason why i was goin for the zard slip-on exhaust was for the looks, dont really know much about 'em (performance-wise and how they sound) conisdering zard's fairly new and not many ppl seem to have the 620 slip-on.

I've been posting basically the same questions on the ducatimonster's forum site trying to get opinions from sides of both enthusiasts. To be quite honest I was leaning way more towards the s2r before the posts. But so far the MTS enthusiasts seem to be making the best and most logical points. (plus the $$$ i'll be saving is a definately a big +) seems you guys have made me a believer! Angel

vtwinx2 wrote:
As other monster owners will attest...you can't stop with the mods. I find the multi just fine as it is, except for exhaust.

But with a sargeant saddle and genmar bar risers, I have done 600 mile days with the s2r

Okay...just get both. When your'e an old man you won't regret it.

I totally concur w/ the two points made in your first statement in the quote.

as for the 2nd & 3rd; man... that doesn't really help dude... Sad

ahaha, but thank you for your honesty.

it looks as if i'll be getting the MTS most likely!

Thank you all so much for your very helpful posts! Very Happy