Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Another potential owner...
geremy
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:40 am Reply with quote

Hi,

Let me just say that I have appreciated the multistrada since it's first prototype, I think it is a very cool bike.

Anyway, I currently live in Tampa, FL. and ride a Honda RC51. I like it a lot. However now my company is considering relocating me to Boston (Cambridge actually) for a couple of years. I cannot fathom not being able to ride all year round. I have visited Boston a few times now, and it seems even in the dead of winter the city streets get cleared pretty quickly. The roads seems fairly dry, albiet with snowbanks.

For these types of conditions, and just riding around the city in general I consider the Multistrada to be a great choice. It's air-cooled, so it's not something I have to worry about during the change of seasons, and the engine is exposed so most maintenance will be completed fairly easy. The long travel suspension and wide high bars will be great on the rough boston pavement.

It also helps that there is a big Ducati stealership about 2 blocks away from my would-be workplace.

Now, I have read of the few problems that MS owners are experiencing, and, aside from the faulty oil lines, there is nothing that seems like a 'big deal' yet. Pulsing brakes: I'd probably replace the pads anyway as I'm not a big fan on sintered (great initial bite) pads...I prefer the much more linear carbon metallic such as performance friction. Hopefully by the time I'll be ready to buy a software update will be available for fuel gauge/consumption problem.

Now I have a couple questions:
1) Will the MS fit-n-finish hold up under extreme winter crap? I will get a rear hugger and probably a front-fender extender but chances are crap will still get all over the front and bottom of the engine and I will only be able to clean it once a week or so (crap includes slush, salt, etc).
2) Are there frame sliders available? I hate to say it but I pretty sure I will drop the bike at least once. What with the tall seat height and black ice and all.

Sorry for the long first post and any and all information that is provided will be appreciated.
don pussehl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:11 pm Reply with quote

I yanked all the body work off the bike the first weekend and put a good thick coat of Starbrite liquid polish with teflon on everything.I service sailboats and this works great at keeping stuff from sticking and corroding. A quick rinse with COLD water gets rid of most of the road salt.The electrical connectors are really good-far superior to what I find routinely on million dollar yachts. I once sprayed all of the engine surfaces and stuff under the fairing of my ST4 with a lanolin based anti corrosive but it was too sticky and really held on to all the dirt.but it kept it away from ther aluminum, The teflon polish {a couple of heavy coats on the bottom of the engine sump and on the starter motor lets tar ond other junk wash right off with S100. Just keep at it and the paint will stay there protecting the aluminum. I ride all year here in Maryland and the road crews are really paranoid so lots of salt and little snow I hope! Having totalled my first MST, The handlebar takes the first hit and then the very front of the fuel tank where it meets the storage podwhich also hits about the same time. At the back the tailpiece seems to protect the rear of the tank. Of course the footpegs and shift lever get hit.I have removed the pass peg assy and am working on a frame protector that uses one of the threaded bolt holes to protect the shift lever. Great bike and Vermont's rte 100 is a hoot in the spring. Don
geremy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:20 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the info and keep the board posted about the crash protectors... Very Happy
Greg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:02 pm Reply with quote

I lowsided my bike when I hit some sand the rear peg is what saved my exhuast The only area that hit in the rear was the rear plastic side case my bars are fat bars off a Aprilla Touno with a throttlemeister they absorbed the hit with out bending the other areas that where damaged was the bottom of the front fork.For good crash protection I would put a screw in the rear pegs so they did not fold up and put a slider on them then I would find a way too afix one to the front fork be sure to try not to ruin the fuel tank under the seat it cost $1600 if you go to http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ducatimultistrada/ and look in the photo section you will see the damage from a simple right side lowside crash Crying or Very sad