Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: If I Buy a MTS Should I Expect It To Break?
Ashalina
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:51 pm Reply with quote

In a search for the replacement to my Monster and VFR I keep coming back to the MTS. The VStrom, FZ6, and FZ1 just do not cut it. I test rode a Rockster, K1200S, K1200R and R1200RT. K bikes were not comfortable enough and the R's did not have enough soul. Also cost a fortune.

MTS seems to be perfect from a riding position, a bit of weather protection, great engine and reasonable cost.

Biggest thing holding me back right now is fear of another Ducati break down and terrible part and dealer support. With my Monster, I could go months without a part and here in Rochester, NY, that can mean the majority of the riding season. Also, the nearest dealer is over an hour away.

I am so afraid I will get the MTS, love the bike and find it waiting at the dealer for months for a seeminly simple repair, but the inability to get the part needed. The biggest problem with the Monster was the instrument cluster going bad and the bike could not run without it due to the immobilizer.

Do you MTS owners feel the quality/reliability has improved with the '05 and newer MTS that you do not live in fear of lack of part and dealer support? Do you find your bikes needing to be repaired more than you would like?

I owned Honda's all of my life until the Monster and they have proved to be bullet proof.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
JohnB
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:06 am Reply with quote

Although I've had no problems with my '05 "S", I must admit I'd have to think twice if there was only 1 Ducati dealer an hour away unless it was a super dealer. I have 3 dealers within a 1/2 hour drive.
This is my first Duc so I can't comment on the reliability issue other than to say mine has been trouble free over the last year and a half. The riding position is the most comfortable of any bike I've owned and the entertainment factor is the best as well.
John
mgoblue
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:39 am Reply with quote

Ashalina wrote:

Biggest thing holding me back right now is fear of another Ducati break down and terrible part and dealer support.

Ashalina wrote:

I am so afraid I will get the MTS, love the bike and find it waiting at the dealer for months for a seeminly simple repair, but the inability to get the part needed.

The above describes me to a T. I love the bike - just got back from a nice after work ride, in fact. Fantastic.

The downside is, I've owned it now for 5-6 months, and it has spent three of them at the dealer. I write this off to an exceptionally bad dealer, but still, it hurt.

I was so worried about the quality of work the dealer did (they were complete buffoons) that I took it to a non-dealer shop for an inspection yesterday. Turns out the dealer's tech seems to have done a good job on the important (engine) work, but missed a couple of details.

On the plus side, the shop I took it to yesterday (Desmotosport) was fantastic. Nice folks, great reputation, and they had my bike done when they said they would - five hours after I dropped it off. Granted, it didn't need much, but still, I now have confidence that the bike is not going to leave me stranded, and I feel I got great service especially given that they were slammed with people wanting pre-MotoGP oil changes and whatnot.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't limit yourself to dealers for service. If you can find a competent mechanic who knows Ducatis, I think you could avoid a lot of pain. Of course, you can't get warranty work done that way, but if you're buying used that's less of an issue.

One more point worth mentioning: I'd be willing to bet that most Multi owners have nothing but good things to say, and have never had any problems with their bike or with schlocky service. People tend to talk about it when they get bad service, but rarely do you see a thread titled, "12k service went great today. No issues. Thanks for reading." So take rants like mine with a grain of salt.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Wolfie1
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:57 am Reply with quote

mgoblue wrote:
but rarely do you see a thread titled, "12k service went great today. No issues. Thanks for reading." So take rants like mine with a grain of salt.

Hey, wait a minute, I posted just such a thread the other day...ok, it was 6k service and not 12k....details, details... Very Happy

http://www.multistrada.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6200

Best,

-Wolfie

Get on the owners page!
http://wolfcentral.net/multistrada/owners.htm
mgoblue
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:36 pm Reply with quote

I stand corrected. Geez, I even replied to that thread Embarassed
notarian
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:27 pm Reply with quote

Ashalina,

I've had the MTS for 2 years, exactly. I'm off to the Alps for 31 days next Thursday and have no issues with reliability or doubts about the bike.

Notarian
Ashalina
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:10 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys. If my Monster service experience was not as terrible as it was and the only dealer within 2 hours was not so poor, I probably would just buy the thing and forget it.

However, because the only dealer within 2 hours is not great and the next closest one is 6 hours away, it is great to get feedback from folks like you. A 12 hour round trip to get a bike serviced is not my idea of fun. I am used to my Honda's that just run and run. In the rare instanced that they broke, I have six shops within 45 minutes to choose from. One of them used to sell/service Ducati but gave up on them because of the lack of support from Ducati.

The idea of the MTS sounds ideal to me because I loved the Monsters motor, brakes, weight, etc., I just did not love the riding position or the long time in the shop for simple fixes.

The MTS does remain a strong candidate but I just cannot pull the trigger yet. Thanks for the feedback. It does make me feel better.
dmusic148
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:19 am Reply with quote

Well, I've bought an 06' new and have had no problems. 2000 miles on the clock. In the unlikely event of an instrument problem, the immobiliser can be overridden by inputting a code with the throttle. The seat is, in my opinion, not very good. Gets quite uncomfortable after about an hour or two. I've upgraded this with the Ducati comfort seat. Doesn't feel much better, but it is. Weird.
lotus54
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:00 pm Reply with quote

I have 10k on my '05 S now and no problems at all. Well, I did have the fuel level sensor replaced under warranty, but that could wait until it was convenient. The only thing it did was turn on the EOBD lamp when the low fuel lamp came on.
There are two dealers within a couple of hours of me (one requires a ferry ride too)- the farther one is quite good, but the other I won't deal with (Bremerton). Perhaps I'm wrong on this, but my experience with parts was so bad I don't want to deal with service.

I've certainly heard of a few people that had major problems that took quite some time to fix, and some with fairly major problems that took very little time to fix (most under warranty).
Seems a lot does have to do with luck of the particular bike and the dealer.

mark
Humbaba
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:08 pm Reply with quote

mgoblue wrote:

On the plus side, the shop I took it to yesterday (Desmotosport) was fantastic. Nice folks, great reputation, and they had my bike done when they said they would - five hours after I dropped it off. Granted, it didn't need much, but still, I now have confidence that the bike is not going to leave me stranded, and I feel I got great service especially given that they were slammed with people wanting pre-MotoGP oil changes and whatnot.

Desmotosport is a great shop! I started taking my monster there after the 600 & 6K services were done (under a two year maintenance free deal).

That said, in response to the question, my '02 M750 was a great bike. I had only two minor warranty repairs, and I do mean minor. Compared to the headaches I've had with my '05 BMW K1200S. I think I've gotten those pretty well ironed out by now, but it's not the hassle I expected to deal with from an $19k BMW. I guess it's true that all makes and models can have their problems. Anyway, for that reason, and because I've determined that the Multi is way better suited for the bulk of my riding, I'll be selling the K12S and picking up a Multi. I loved that monster, but yeah, way too small for me at 6'3." Anyway, I'm looking forward to being back on a Duc.