Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: KTM950 to 1000s DS
rightsideup
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:33 pm Reply with quote

I've had my KTM for 14 months now and it's a fabulous bike (mostly!) - thing is I'm seriously thinking of trading it in for a new Multistrada.
Things I don't like about the KTM:
Liquid cooling (call me a luddite but I just don't like it on a bike)
Questionable handling in long, fast sweepers and very slow corners on road.
7,500km service interval.
Things I like about it:
Engine
Power/weight
Off road handling (although in all honesty I don't do a whole lot of this type of riding)
Fantastic suspension
Quality.
Now I know only I can decide but what do you think?
I should probably say that I've always liked Ducatis in fact I've had a 750 twin for 22 years now, visually I'm not 100% sold on Terblanche's designs but then the KTM is a strange looking thing too!
Habanero
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:00 pm Reply with quote

I thought long and hard about whether top buy the KTM 950 & the Multi, but since this would definitely be a road bike nearly all of the time, I bought the Multi. It was a choice that I am very happy with. I do want a dual purpose bike, though, so I am currently looking for a good price on a KTM 640 Adventure or Enduro.

Sounds like you would love the Multistrada. You have the perfect roads for it, there in Scotland, too.
rightsideup

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:14 pm Reply with quote

Habanero wrote:
You have the perfect roads for it, there in Scotland, too.

Thanks for the response... you're right, Scotland is great for motorcycling although it can get a little cold at times! Anyway, I'm off for a MTS testride in the next few days, I'll let you know how I get on.
desmotyke
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:43 am Reply with quote

I don't think you will be disapointed 'Rightside up'.A back to back test is the only way to compare the two.Try to get the test ride for as long as possible.I wouldn't mind doing the oppersite and test the KTM,just out of curiosity you understand.
bigal915
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:32 am Reply with quote

I had the pleasure of riding them back to back last summer at my local dealer. A buddy of mine had gotten the KTM950, and when I rode it, I thought it was great. It felt like my KTM dirt bike on roids. But, after riding it later in the summer AFTER riding the Multi, there was no comparison, in my mind.

Since I'm doing much less touring these days and more commuting in the city and day rides in the country, the Multi was my choice, hands down. It just provides me with more agility, more fun and passion! The wife liked it better too, so go figure.

Of course, it all depends on what you're going to do though. If I was in touring mode, the KTM would have probably been a better choice as I like to explore, and that includes off-road at times. But, the Multi, for me, stirs the soul, and makes me want to ride. That was enough or me!

Good luck...of course, best of both worlds, like Haberno says, would be to have TWO!! Mr. Green

Adventure Rider
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:45 pm Reply with quote

I'll be interested to hear your impressions. The KTM is still on my list - especially when the 990 comes out.

However, I doubt I would get rid of my MTS (except maybe to trade in on an 'S' model in some years down the road) - it is just too much fun.

I have a DR350 I am going to bump up to 450 and ride for about a year and see if that will keep my off-road desires in check, or if I need something more while touring.

I was at a VME meeting on Wed. and someone rode an LC8 there, and even though I had seen them before, it struck me how large the bike was. The KTM would be a much better bike for long distance touring, but I just don't get enough time off to go for more than a couple of weeks, and I can't afford a months long overseas journey that the KTM would be much more suited for.

So I fear if I got the LC8 I would not ride it much - preferring to ride the MTS instead.
rightsideup

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:31 am Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input folks... I'm hoping to fit a (long) MTS testride in either this week or next which should be fun, meanwhile I'm still enjoying the KTM lots. Decisions, decisions!
rightsideup

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:42 pm Reply with quote

Just in case anyone's interested, I finally had a three hour testride on a just-run-in Multistrada today. I REALLY liked most things about it but particularly:
Lots of torque low down in the rev range, the KTM has noticably more power up at the top but you do need to thrash the bike (which I tend to do!) to get it - the Ducati engine is much more tractable.
Quick steering with a very planted feel in fast corners, significantly better than the KTM.
Sound, I know the KTM is a v-twin too but it's not a Ducati!
Things I liked less were:
Mirrors - limited visibility plus I don't really like having the indicators as part of the unit.
Gearchange, the KTM box is super-smooth, the MTS needs a lot of pressure to shift.
That's it really, I think the KTM has a better finish and slightly better quality components (bars etc.) but, that said, I'm definitely going to sell the KTM and go for a 1000DS motor - the only question now is should I hold out for the Hypermotard?!
JohnB
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:47 pm Reply with quote

rightsideup wrote:
the only question now is should I hold out for the Hypermotard?!

That depends. How do you feel about wind protection?
rightsideup

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:57 pm Reply with quote

JohnB wrote:
That depends. How do you feel about wind protection?

I'm not too bothered about it to be honest, up to 80mph cruising I don't think a fairing's essential. Beyond that on the Hypermotard I don't think it would matter much!
I did forget to mention that at 6'4" I had much less wind noise/buffeting on the MTS than my KTM.
tsal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:30 pm Reply with quote

rightsideup,

wait for the 1100cc version we've been hearing rumors about! these are great days for motorcycling with all the awesome bikes to choose from!

tsal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:47 pm Reply with quote

tsal wrote:
wait for the 1100cc version we've been hearing rumors about!

I asked about this at the dealership, they were a bit cagey about what/when/if this would happen but then I suppose they would be!
I agree, great times to be choosing a bike although I'm not convinced that increasing capacity is the best way forwards (although everyone seems to be doing it) - instead how about a little less weight, a slightly higher state of tune and things like that?
tsal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:01 pm Reply with quote

i'll agree with the weight reduction. i've tried to put my multi on a diet by taking off all unnecessary pieces or swapping the stocker for something much lighter. i'd love to ride a multi with CF rims (to feel the handling difference for myself) before i drop $3000 on a set, though!

tsal