Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Any one tried the BMW R1150GS and Ducati Multistrada ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Captain Scarlet
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:31 am Reply with quote

Rocker:

p.s. I've ridden an R90S a number of times, used to love that 'smoked' affect over burnt orange kind of colour they did, it's a classic boxer and is actually appreciting in value now - shame you no longer have it!

With regard to the seat height, what I really meant was that although BMW claim the same seat height for both the R1150GS and R1200GS the 1200 is lower. i.e. the 'over-seat' measurement is less because (like the MS) the seat is not as wide as the 1150. It's still a slight stretch more than the MS but not massively. i.e. if you can get flat feet with the MS you'll easily get the balls of both feet firmly on the ground. Put it this way my brother is 5ft 7" and managed to ride it no problem. I'm 6ft 1" and can get both feet flat when the seat is in it's lowest setting on standard preload. However, obviously it's a lot easier to manouvre than the 1150, especially at a standstill due to the 30 kilo weight lose - that's better than the Atkins diet! Very Happy

MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 6:03 am Reply with quote

Hi Captain Starlight,

while i testrode the GS12 i didn't thought that it was lower than my GS1150, maybe only the seat of your bike was in lowest positon. OTOH they made the pegs now 3 cm lower, which makes the handling easier too.
Rocker

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 6:10 am Reply with quote

Captain scarlet No need for an apology. as you say friendly debate is what these forums are about. Wouldn't it be boring if we all had the same tastes in bikes and agreed with wach other all the time.Even the fans of the MS customise their bikes in different ways to suit their own needs

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 6:46 am Reply with quote

Ingo:

OTOH? I can string a few lines together, but I'm not clevere nough to work out that acronym! Very Happy

I 'd guess the bike you rode was in it's highest position or fitted with the optionally higher seat (there's optional extra lower and higher seats available from BMW).

You are right about the slightly lower pegs on the 1200 and this helps if you want to use the lower setting of the standard seats 2-height adjustment without getting cramped legs.

The bars are now not quite as wide and are closer to the rider whilst also being higher too. This helps filtering in traffic and with leverage, plus comfort is improved with them being thick section at the top clamp / yolk area and tapering off thinner at the hand grips. Most dealers are saying they are Renthal, but I disagree, these are top quality and spec bars (light and strong with quality finish) and I think Magura probably make them.

Feeling comfortable on a bike is all important though. If you don't feel comfortable on the R1200GS, then like any bike - no matter how good, it's not for you personally; and as Rocker points out it'd be borign if we all thought the same and all had the same bike. CBR600 anyone? Don't laugh - I had four of those!

Rocker:

I've been meaning to mention that I like your footer of 'four wheels move the body - two wheels move the soul'. It embodies and says everything about motorcycling and of our passion for this wonderful interest of ours, in a very succinct way.

I always think that everyone we meet is alive, but as motorcyclists we are 'living' Very Happy

I think your footer states that perfectly, so with your permission, I'd like to also use that as a footer within the signature of my own private emails if that's okay with you?

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 2:13 pm Reply with quote

Captain Scarlet OTOH = On The Other Hand
Please youse the footer (except on this list) as I have to confess I got it from somebody on my wifes Hornets Nest message board and like you thought it an excellent sentiment

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 7:14 am Reply with quote

Hi
i also had an vtr 1000 firestorm, and now a multistrada. I have made 3 testrides on a bmw gs 1150, my biggest complain was the turbulentie around your helmet, th lazy character of the engine, and its weight, possitieve was the combination of comfort and steering possibiliteties a mts is mutch more fun and kick as a bmw, its more like your vtr
the mts has ducati problems like a dashboard with rain problems, and you have too check all your pluggs because an italien seems not to work as perfect as an japanees,
for the rest is the mts a great bike with exelent stearing possibilities and with a thermignoli a beatiful sound and good power
fiirestorm wrote:
Hi,
I'm in the market for a new(ish) bike. I'm seriously considering a R1150GS. It fits me perfectly, then again I've only tried a Triumph Tiger (my legs are too short) and a Yamaha Fazer 1000.

Can any one on this forum comment on the relative merits of the GS and Multistrada be fore I go and splash out on a 2 year old GS ?

I have yet to ride a DS1000 .... something I will remedy this weekend.

Thanks
fiirestorm

(yep I ride a Honda VTR1000 at the mo, need something more upright)
fiirestorm
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 7:33 am Reply with quote

I took delivery of my red MTS in March. Very happy apart from some corrosion on some of the fittings and the ssssssshuddery brakes. I find the handling much better than my 'storm was, though I do miss the power somewhat. Overall I'm faster, but there is less acceleration above 170kph.
Rocker

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 2:35 pm Reply with quote

fiirestorm wrote:
PeeBee,

Insurance wise I've got a good quote from another company, 567 gbp / 820 euro which is acceptable to me. This was with H&R, insurance2000.co.uk for people in UK. 250 gbp less than Carole Nash, my current insurer.

fiirestorm

When I see insurance quotes like this it makes me feel better about being old Very Happy

No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:54 pm Reply with quote

Rocker,
Got the insurance from Ducati Insurance down to 400 gbp which is even better. details, 36 yrs old, garaged in suburbia, 1 yr ncd.
Rocker

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 4:50 am Reply with quote

Firestorm I am paying £200 fully comp. This could be because I have full NCB and the fact that I had already been riding for 5 years when you born Whistle As I said this is one of the few advantages of being old
I will try Ducati Insurance next year

No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 6:33 am Reply with quote

Rocker,
My hat comes off for you sir Cool Cool

I hope I have some of the co-ordination and skills you have now in that many years time Wink

The most I ever paid for insurance was for a Toyota Celica when I was 21, 1300gbp Shocked
Rocker

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 9:39 am Reply with quote

Thank you Firestorm Embarassed
I think the biggest lesson I have leared in all those years is to ensure that my ride comes to an end at my destination and not unexpectedly( and painfully) before even if it does take a few minutes longer to achieve this.
This is not say that you can not in the terms of our police rider friends " Make good progress"
I cant compare car insurance prices with you as I have never had one. My wife and I have always ridden

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 5:13 am Reply with quote

FireStorm:
re: sssshuddery brakes. Mine had this problem too. I only noticed when I tried to do some rolling stoppies and it started behaving like a concrete mixer on a pogo-stick. I got the mechanic at Bridge in Andover to file off the leading edge of the front pads. This cure dit 100% immediately. I've seen this problem reported elsewhere with much scratched heads, but this was the solution for me, so give it a try.

Rocker:
Good point. I always think 'he who gets there last - still gets there'! Very Happy

All:
Right more researched facts, to clarify previous questions and comments directed at the Captain, and firm views provoking quotes...

I have about 25 (at least) tests of the R1200GS now. It seems that it's 198 kilo dry and 225 kilo wet. Its 100 bhp at the crank translates (as tmy seat of the pants test stated) to 84.3 bhp and 75 lb/ft of torque, both at the rear wheel. So given the tank tank range and similiar economy it's factual to say that the MS and GS12 have the same power to weight ratio and similar tank range. They both spin quickly like a four, and much quicker than the 1150GS due to light internals and spot on engine management response. The GS has a slight edge in torque over the MS, but to be honest riding them back to back you'd be hard pressed to notice too much. What is clear is that (like the MS) when you look at the dyno charts (source: July '04 Bike, for dyno and weights) the GS12 makes noticeably more power and torque than a KTM950, V-Strom or Caponard right from tickover to 7,000 rpm. And in fact, for instance, at 6,000 rpm it is making more than 10 bhp and 10 lb/ft than it's next nearest rival in the Adventure Sports ( I think enduro-tourer is a better description) category. It also stopped quicker than all of the bikes, from 100 mph it stopped 70 ft quicker than the Prilla! It won that particular test being the most practical, comfortable and best handling on the road. Ergo, it's safe to conclude that performance wise (acceleration, cruising, top speed, braking, power to weight, power per rpm) there's spit difference between the MS and GS. If you want handling, a sportier feel for spirited rides and a Ducati sticker then the MS is an excellent buy. And if you want comfort, practicality, an all-round sprightly tourer and a propellor roundal on the tank then the GS makes an excellent buy too. Either way, for my money, their engaging character and the way they make their power make them the best choices for their respectvie categories, irrelevant of spoilt hacks personal choices. Phew - glad that's cleared up!

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 5:17 am Reply with quote

Oh nearly forgot the strong view quote!

MCN Kevin Ash - last week:

"Oh come on, this is Italy we're talkign about, the only western country with a history for producing shoddier, less reliable motor vehicles via worse industrial relatios than the British ... Italian banks would back a Nigerian e-mail scam if it was linked to a famous motor manufacturer"

I stress. This is not necessarily my own personal view, but does highlight what some people feel about Italian vehicle quality and reliability. Discuss.

Let the bun fight begin! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:35 am Reply with quote

Dear Captain,
what do you think some people feel about Italian vehicle quality and reliability when they think at Ferrari while watching a GP????? Shocked
To be honest we should say Italians are not so bad in building vehicles and motorbike, sometimes they are better then english or germans....and I think this is the case for MTS.

Take care