Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: would you buy considering
Goto page 1, 2  Next
wheelsucker
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:58 pm Reply with quote

I'm thinking of getting a MTS1000 or a Triumph Tiger, I commute 45 miles/day each way(so 90 total miles). I want a bike that can take heated grips and maybe a heated jacket. I have an '03 Moto Guzzi Le Mans and am looking for another bike to alternate my commute with. Also would or do you ride in the rain on your MTS or is the MTS to fragile? I probably won't ride to work in the rain but may get caught riding home in the rain.
BikerRN
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:43 pm Reply with quote

The Multi is great for daily commutes like your's. I ride a 620, but the riding position is the same.

The electrical system is big and strong enough for what you want to add to it, with no worries. As far as the Multi being delicate, HOGWASH!

One nice thing about the Multi is, you can commute, tour and ride the twisties all on the same bike, and do all three very well.
sailwa66
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:05 am Reply with quote

I don't think either of them are a bad choice. The Multi is significantly lighter than the Tiger, and has proven it can take a pounding quite well (somewhere in the photo gallery is a pic of one not less than three feet in the air.)

My daily commute includes a tasty jump... er, railroad crossing, and several miles of dirt roads if I'm in the mood to roost a bit. If I'm feeling saucy, I even run a railroad maintenance "road"... which is basically a two-track trail.

The dashboards on the Multis supposedly don't mix very well with water, so I bought some clear plastic hair nets that I throw over the guages when it rains.
bigal915
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:22 am Reply with quote

Yea, I too use mine for a 80 mile per day commute. I love it. A little back country roads and freeway through Minneapolis. Works great. I've got a electric hookup for a vest to the battery. I'll probably eventually put electric grips on at some point too.

As for the rain, my method is, if it's not raining when I leave in the morning, I ride. If it rains on the way home, I don't really care at that point. But, for me, it works fine in the rain. Not as much frontal protection as maybe some other bikes have, but, not a big deal in my mind. I try and avoid rain, meaning, I don't ride in the rain on purpose. Unless of course I'm on a trip and have no choice.

Hope that helps...good luck with your choice, but I think you'd love the Strada. It's really a pretty cool bike.

Steve B
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:30 am Reply with quote

I'll be another of the people recommending the MTS, but have you seen the spy shots of the 2007 Tiger? It looks like they intend to compete more directly with bikes like the MTS as a road bike rather than a large dualsport. It also has the 1050 motor...very cool. If this truly is the new Tiger, I find it a lot more appealing than the previous generation.

http://www.triumphchepassione.com/triumph-tiger-1050.htm
JohnB
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:46 pm Reply with quote

bigal915 wrote:
Yea, I too use mine for a 80 mile per day commute. I love it. A little back country roads and freeway through Minneapolis. Works great. I've got a electric hookup for a vest to the battery. I'll probably eventually put electric grips on at some point too.

As for the rain, my method is, if it's not raining when I leave in the morning, I ride. If it rains on the way home, I don't really care at that point. But, for me, it works fine in the rain. Not as much frontal protection as maybe some other bikes have, but, not a big deal in my mind. I try and avoid rain, meaning, I don't ride in the rain on purpose. Unless of course I'm on a trip and have no choice.

Hope that helps...good luck with your choice, but I think you'd love the Strada. It's really a pretty cool bike.

What he said !
kneepuck
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:58 pm Reply with quote

I think the new Tiger is going to make the choice harder. The thing about the tiger before was is was sooooo ugly! New model will have 17" wheels and an updated look. If you run in a very hot climate the tiger may have a little advantage as it is water cooled.

I own a triumph (675) and the MTS. Reliability is great from both.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:59 pm Reply with quote

Hmmmm that new Tiger looks pretty cool. I bet that'll give the Strada a run for it's money.

I agree with Kneepuck, the old was, well, just plain ugly! Laughing

squid vicious
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:08 pm Reply with quote

Steve B wrote:
I'll be another of the people recommending the MTS, but have you seen the spy shots of the 2007 Tiger? It looks like they intend to compete more directly with bikes like the MTS as a road bike rather than a large dualsport. It also has the 1050 motor...very cool. If this truly is the new Tiger, I find it a lot more appealing than the previous generation.

Shocked
Wow. That's actually really nice looking. Think
huskyduck
MTS: 2005 1000 DS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:34 am Reply with quote

I own both, a 2001 black Tiger 955i, and a 2005 red Multi 1000. As for comparing the two, I love them both. But if I were to chose only one, it would be the Multi. It feels so much more like a motard, and I really like that. The Tiger has one helluva motor though. And on loooong rides, the Tiger is more comfortable. As for the new Tiger comming out, to each his own on the styling issue. I prefer the older style as it stands apart from all the rest. The new one seems to look like the result of an orgy between Triumph/ Suzuki/ Yamaha. A non destinct style of sorts. And it's shortened rear end will equate to a loss of valuable cargo capacity. Reliability wise, I'v never had a problem with any of my Ducatis, and I have 3 right now. Guess I'v been lucky. And as for the triumphs, the Tiger's 955i is a case of overbuilt enginerring. Durable as a granite rock. Which ever one you choose, you'll love it.
tigertim955

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:13 am Reply with quote

I`ve owned both as well (`02 Tiger&`05 MTS 1000) Love both bikes. Ducati is a tough bike and rain never has been a problem. I found the Tiger a bit "wallowy" in the corners but more able to take off roading (light). The triple is a very strong motor. We like the Ducati more than the Triumph but I don`t think they`re really in the same catigory.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:02 am Reply with quote

Tigers have usually sat in the showroom a while around here.My dealer sells both Triumph and Ducati(Ottawa Goodtime Centre;main line`s Kaw) I think a lower and updated Tiger might stir some interest to them! The inverted forks and 17" rims look more exotic than earlier models and you can bet their price point will be more appealing than the Ducati! As for styling-those angular lines seem almost "flavour of the week" stuff. It`ll be an interesting alternative, but the Ducati will always be a dream bike for a lot of riders! It seems to go beyond pride of ownership.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:58 pm Reply with quote

bigal915 wrote:
I agree with Kneepuck, the old was, well, just plain ugly! Laughing
The new Tiger does look better but what's up with the color choices? Black, Grey or Blue all dark colors (harsh words coming from a guy with a black bike but...), they should offer at least one bright color and with a name like "Tiger" the Orange and Black should always be an option.

wheelsucker
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:14 am Reply with quote

Looking at the new tiger I'm not that impressed with the styling, as for the 2006 and below, it seems very good but I may just wait and buy an adventure bike down the road when one catches my eye, and don't even suggest a BMW GS Naughty ( the GS stands for Got SERVICE?? or Got Spares??)

I've currently got my eye on a 2006 red S Drool , but don't know if it'll still be around in a month or two(have to wait to start my new job). If not I'll pick up a very slightly used S
GrayMia
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:22 pm Reply with quote

Steve B wrote:

Wow! The '07 Tiger looks a helluva lot cooler than the old one! In fact it looks a whole lot like a Multi. Peaks my interest. Maybe the Daytona 675 was what Triumph needed to put them on a roll.

What was with those "tiger stripes" on the previous models?

View my Duc at: http://www.graymia.com/Ducati.htm