Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: SV650S to MTS620 - Hey! Hey!
ranchofm
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:56 pm Reply with quote

Hello, people,

I have been lurking for quite some time now and I would like to thank everyone for the wealth of information provided on this site. I feel that I can practically ride the Multi in my sleep... which I frequently do, being that I don't own one (yet).

My situation: I ride an '01 SV650S at present. I absolutely love the bike for what it is, but it just doesn't fulfill everything I want from a motorcycle in a comfortable manner. I usually spend the equivalent of yearly Ducati service trying to make the SV more tour-worthy. Not happening.

This quest for comfort (as well as a love for the design of the Multi) has led me to the MTS 620. Unfortunately, the only thing that's getting in the way (please keep reading after I say this) is that pesky fly, the v-strom.
Aesthetically, it completely offends my sensibilities. There is no reason that a modern motorcycle should look like a lawn tractor. Having said that, it is apperently an undeniably excellent motorcycle, which I'm sure the MTS 620 is, also.

So, bad origami aside, I was wondering if anyone can give me some Multi feedback from an SV650-to-MTS620 perspective. My biggest concerns:

1 - Range: If the tank range of the Multi is similar to the SV, I would be quite happy with that.

2 - Medium-range pillion comfort: the SV is vengeful on both parties when 2-up, so anything would be more comfortable. My concern is having a good amount of comfort for my passenger during 250-mile weekend trips, and the occasional multi-day 1200-mile trips (Blue Ridge Parkway, for example). Specifics: Me - 5'11"145# She - 5'4" 110# (and hot!). I realize the v-strom has an edge here, but that is a result of it being a bigger motorcycle, which I don't necessarily applaud.

Any comments swaying me toward the Multi would be greatly appreciated. I fear that if that dull throbbing known as common sense prevails, I will buy the v-strom, and it will devour me shortly after we mate.

Thanks!
Bish
BikerRN
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:26 pm Reply with quote

The MTS 620 is a great bike for touring, city commuting or canyon carving.

If I was going to do much 2up riding I would get a 1000 though. I ride solo, wife has her own 620. Smile If you do want to get a 620 I suggest you hurry, there will be no 2007 Multistrada 620's.

On paper the Suzuki is the better bike. In real life the Ducati is, IMHO, the better bike. Both do well, but the Ducati stirs the soul. The Suzuki just gets you from point A to point B.

Reliability is a moot issue. Both bikes are reliable, but the Ducati needs more service, so maintenance cost may be an issue for you. Ducati has a multitude of options and accessories that the Suzuki doesn't offer.

On my bike I have soft panniers, tank bag, tailbag and 14T front sprocket. It is set for touring and lives for the twisties. Very Happy
Take care and good luck. If you want a bike that speaks to your soul, get the Ducati.
BikerRN

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:29 pm Reply with quote

Bish

In reply: 200 miles to a tank, but it can be more or less depending upon how you use your right wrist.

Comfort: Until more than a 3-5 day tour it's very comfortable. After 5 days I want a BMW! I do 300-500 mile rides just to eat lunch. Leave in the am, eat lunch at my destination and then eat supper at home.
tigertim955
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:58 pm Reply with quote

We bought our first Ducati this year. It was a dream come true for me.It`s like riding a piece of art and people respond to them that way. On another side-it`s also a VERY capable motorcycle.I was surprised how comfortable it is for a bike that handles so easily! You can tell from this site the possibilities are endless for any of the MTSs`. While I know the Suzuki,Honda Kaw,Yam and my refrigerator are all great machines the Ducati catches my sensibilities from somewhere else--I get friggin` excited just walking up to thing.Don`t expect that from a V-Strom. You can buy the wrong motorcycle and just live with it (I have in the past) or go with your passion.You only live once-- enjoy!

MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:07 pm Reply with quote

I was basically in your shoes, tomorrow I pick up a lightly used '05 Multi. I bought an '03 SV650 based on all the reports of what a great bike it was. Long story short, it didn't work for me, fortunately I bailed before trying to stick too much money into making it something it wasn't.

I'd been saving my pennies and taken many test rides. I was constantly back and forth between MTS 1000, MTS 620 and the Suzuki Wee Strom. I was so close to dropping the dime on the Wee Strom, but couldn't do it because of the looks. In the end I liked the performance of the MTS 1000 much better and I like the sound of the dry clutch.

What it really boiled down to for me was what the motorcycle represented. The Multi was a little impractical, too expensive, looked good (at least from most angles) and was a heck of a lot of fun to ride. The Suzuki was the safe, logical choice. Well, you only live once and if you're going to have a mid-life crisis, the choice should be for something fun, too expensive and slightly impractical. Kind of like buying the corvette instead of the mini-van.

Doesn't really answer your questions, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway. Good luck with your decision.

Jeff
Omar
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:08 pm Reply with quote

tigertim955 wrote:
We bought our first Ducati this year. It was a dream come true for me.It`s like riding a piece of art and people respond to them that way. On another side-it`s also a VERY capable motorcycle.I was surprised how comfortable it is for a bike that handles so easily! You can tell from this site the possibilities are endless for any of the MTSs`. While I know the Suzuki,Honda Kaw,Yam and my refrigerator are all great machines the Ducati catches my sensibilities from somewhere else--I get friggin` excited just walking up to thing.Don`t expect that from a V-Strom. You can buy the wrong motorcycle and just live with it (I have in the past) or go with your passion.You only live once-- enjoy!

How true.
Adventure Rider
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:47 pm Reply with quote

Ride them both/all (including the MTS 1000), look them over, then buy the one that speaks to your soul.

I would bet even money on the Ducati.

I have a co-worker that has the SV-650 as his first bike, and for the money it is a good bike, but the components and technology doesn't compare to the Ducati (except for maybe a higher reving engine, which isn't always an advantage).
FloatingAxehead
MTS: 2006 620 Dark (Flat black)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:38 am Reply with quote

If you read the recent comparo in Cycle World, you saw the "shoot-out" between the MTS620 and the V-strom. It opens with the paragraph cutting right to the chase- the V-strom is the better bike. More horsepower, better fuel mileage, etc.

But, as in so many things, cold mathematical statistics aren't the whole story.

See, my opinion is that nobody rides a motorcycle because of numbers. Sure, we justify our bikes vs. cars by gas mileage and insurance costs, etc. But that's not why we ride. There's an intangible passion involved with motorcycling. For my money, I'd go for the duck. Built by hand, and totally unique, it simply speaks to me. Who cares if I'm getting a "whopping" 5 fewer horsepower if I love my bike? Get the bike that stirs you.

Also, CW reported that the windshield on the V-strom buffeted something fierce, despite adjustment, and they had to take it off to make it tolerable.

XSTRADA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:53 am Reply with quote

I have to agree... after having my 620 for only a mere 8 mos... I still get a "boner" when walking up to it. Wink

I've never had a motorcycle like the MTS that stirrs up so much nervous excitement before launching it for a good ride.

The Strom may be practical and functional but let's face it... IT'S BORING!! Eh?

On top of that you'll be thinking of all the great enhancements and upgrades you'll want to do to personalize your MTS ride.

Get something that stirs your soul and imagination... go MTS... Razz

U only live once... go for all the gusto U can get your azz on!!... Smile

MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:36 am Reply with quote

I bought an '03 SV50 nekkid in '03 as my first bike in 25 years. It served it's purpose.

I bought an '06 MTS 1000DS two weeks ago for the following reasons:

1) Italian exotic. I would have to wait another year or so to get a (German exotic) Porsche Cayman to replace the Mustang.

2) LEGROOM! I'm 6', 170lbs, 34inch inseam. More than an hour on the SV hurt. On the MTS I'm not bent to pain.

3) Upright. My neck with bulging disks cannot tolerate the SV650S, and it doesn't really like the Nekkid. The MTS riding position is great.

4) Suspension. The SV is downright barbaric compared to the MTS.

5) Stability. In a straight line at speed, and in commuter traffic, the MTS is far more stable & composed. Tis is probably a rehash of (4) but is really significant.

6) Torque.

5) Panache (style Frank, style). Sorry, I'm repeating myself. In the 170 miles I've put on the MTS, I've already had 4 times as many people drool on it as in 3 years with the SV.

Downside: I've owner the MTS for 16 days, and it spent 10 (5 were non-work) in the shop to diagnose and replace bad throttle bodies. I blame it on relatively common early failures (problems showed up in the first 30 miles) of electronic components, possibly some that my employer and I had something to do with.
The SV got it's 600 mile service in one day at the shop. I've changed the oil twice since, replaced the battery (more than two years in Arizona is great) and now need to lube the throttle cables.

I really think it boils down to a right brain left brain thing. If your right side is dominant, Ducati wins. Left side, Suzuki.

TCJ