Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: 1200GS or 1000S
Goto page Previous  1, 2
wayward
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:45 am Reply with quote

stevespiers wrote:
I think it may have been Wayward that wrote that some riders feel the need to justify the ownership of there current machine so therefore tend to slag off other machines.
Yes, it was me who wrote that while trying not to fall into that category myself. At risk of being one of those who offer an unqualified opinion about the 1200GS after only a few short rides. Here's my comparison between the two.

1) They are both motorcycles.
2) They are both good motorcycles.
3) They both have a very upright riding position and are relatively tall when compared to most other motorcycles.
4) They are both motorcycles.

I don't have much seat time on the 1200GS but what little I have was enjoyable. The more you examine these two machines the more differences you find. IMO they have more differences than they have similarities and aren't really in the same class with one another.

stevespiers
MTS: 2010 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:24 am Reply with quote

Hi Wayward you talk a lot of sense man Think
pirate
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:16 am Reply with quote

O three legged Manx man you are quite right in saying there are limited direct comparisons between these bikes, for in fact they are as you say very different. The Pirate has indicated that perhaps any comparison at all is probably limited to their relative capabilities as long distance sports touring bikes on bitumen (tarmac) and any comparison for other purposes is pointless. At the end of the day the Pirate can only point to the relative strengh and weakness of each bike and as you say beauty is in the eye of the beholder and we all cause of our stature will respond to the physical characteristics of any bike differently.

Question Manx Man, Do you still have a multi or GS, cause you seem to be refering to them in the past tense ?

1999 TJ Wrangler Renegade
2008 JK Wrangler Renegade Unlimited
"it never got fast enough for me"
Hunter S. Thompson
BEWARE "THE BLACK SPOT"
stevespiers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:49 pm Reply with quote

Hi Pirate

I still have my r12GS and cannot see myself getting shot of it in the near future, unless of course a new and improved GS comes out Laughing

Sadley the Multi was traded in, I had a few issues with the bike plus I found the bike to be quite cramped two up with luggage. Not so with the GS though, so all of my touring is done it. Currently I also own a GSXR 1000 K4 as a play thing that I thrash arround the TT circuit when time permits.

I would dearly love to get my hands on a 1000S DS when finances permit but am also waiting to see if the Multi is revised next year.

Oh incidently I'm not a native Manx man, I hopped over from old blighty a good few years back so I am considered to be a "stop over" Laughing

I am looking forward to your report on the two afore mentioned steads when you get arround to posting.

You may be wondering why I still visit this site now that I no longer have my multi, well truth is I enjoy this site and love winding Dennis up cos he and quite a few others on this site get quite steamed up with so called "bmwobble you" owners. I find it very ammusing how tetchy some of them get over BMW posts and that they seem to think, that as this is a Multi site nothing else should be discussed. Think My opinion is those who may be a tad biggoted should be made to walk the plank and then keel hauled Mr. Green Mr. Green
Steve B
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:39 pm Reply with quote

stevespiers wrote:
Hi Pirate

I still have my r12GS and cannot see myself getting shot of it in the near future, unless of course a new and improved GS comes out Laughing

But they are coming out with a new and improved one Steve...they don't have the servo brake system in '07. Smile What's your take on that? I'm more intrigued by the bike now that BMW's recognized motorcycles don't need power brakes.
stevespiers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:35 pm Reply with quote

Hi Steve

yes I did know that they are doing away with the servo brakes but I think that is the only change. I'm not really sure what I think re servo brakes. I reckon they work very well but I'm sure that it's possibly an unnecessary complication. Clearly the argument is what happens if the system fails whilst riding? residual braking !!! mmnnn. Think

My slight gripe is that the abs is slightly too sensitive. Sometimes when braking, if the front wheel hits a slight bump, the abs releases the brakes for a split second. It almost feels like the bike suddenly surges forward, in fact it's only a milisecond and then the brakes are back on again. The first time it did this my heart nearly stopped, but you do get used to it and the brakes are actually extremely good. In fact awsome.

I do love the suspension, it's wierd looking but hell it really works. The bike is planted like it's on rails and inspires mega confidence. I like the fact that the bike doesn't dive under braking. Just the job if you get caught out and have to scrub speed off mid bend. Because it doesn't dive the bike does not try to stand up half way round the bend, so you can brake and get the bike turned as hard as you like.

Some people say it lacks feel, the fact is, is that it doesn't feel the same as a standard setup so can give the impression of vagueness. Truth is it just needs to be got used to, I reckon I can feel every thing that is going on with the front tyre hence the superior feeling of confidence. I also ride a Gixer 1000 with standard fork setup, another superb handling bike but the r12GS gives way more confidence in the bends.......strange but true.

I do think the bike comes under critisism for being so quirky, but the sum of all the parts=one heck of a machine that is capable of out handling a lot of sport bikes in real world conditions. Excluding the track of course although these do get used on track days and are only let down in the straights when 150hp bikes roar pass.

My impression of this bike is that it is one of the best all rounders of all time (so far) Even the mighty VFR doesent come close as an all round package. The looks are an aquired taste, but look beyond that and you have a machine that can do most things as well if not better than some particular dedicated machines. Not a bad achievment in my book.

Just to set the record straight, I am NOT a BMW lover in fact I dislike most of them but this one has impressed me.

I don't rate it as an off roader cos of it's size although 198 kilo's is not lardy it could be a bit of a handfull in the sticky stuff.
Cellist
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:27 pm Reply with quote

Thanks all! Your assistance was very helpful. I bought the MTS and have put over 500 miles on her. I am completely satisfied.