Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: New ducatist ... or not?
antonionni
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:46 pm Reply with quote

Hi all

next year I must change my moto; I have had only japanese ones, I have ride 100.000 km each without problems.

Now I want to buy a MTS 1000S (or a new 1100S), but I hear only problems with the engine.

Is really true or is because the ducatist's are more pilots than the japanese ones?

Many thanks
squid vicious
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:57 pm Reply with quote

It will ultimately cost more to maintain than a japanese bike.

It's sure a hell of a lot of fun to ride, though.

your call.
antonionni

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:33 pm Reply with quote

I'm doing tha mainteinance myown, so I have only the costs of spare parts.

Do you mean that cost more because need more checks (valvles, distribution ...) or because it broken?

For example I have heard that sometimes the piston seizure
squid vicious

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:45 pm Reply with quote

Heh....that was me. My bike's at the dealer right now for a new piston/cylinder. it is NOT a common problem. The trouble with reading these internet sites is you'll only hear from people who are having trouble. There are thousands of others running flawlessly.

Also, most of the initial problems with the MTS have been addressed, so look for a model year 2005 or newer.

Labor is what really kills you in maintenence on these things, so if you're doing that your self, it shouldn't be bad at all. Just a little more frequent.

Really, if you've got the bug, just go get one. If you don't like it, sell it and get something else. You'll never know unless you try it out.
antonionni

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:54 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
You'll never know unless you try it out.

Yes, right!

Anyway, do you know anyone thas has doing a lot of km? Another thing is I'm never seen any Ducati with more of 50.000 km...
squid vicious

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:04 pm Reply with quote

Look up Gary Egan. He did 100K+ MILES on his.
wayward
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:32 pm Reply with quote

antonionni wrote:
Quote:
You'll never know unless you try it out.

Yes, right!

Anyway, do you know anyone thas has doing a lot of km? Another thing is I'm never seen any Ducati with more of 50.000 km...
Someone did a poll here asking how many miles people have put on their Multistrada. There were a few who have put on the miles. Doc comes to mind but I can't find the post and don't remember how many he had. Remember though that the Multistrada only came out in '03 and a lot of owners of the original '03 models traded theirs in on the 'S' model when it came out in '05 so it hasn't really been around that long so that is one reason why you won't find a lot that have done so many miles (or kilometers).

Also squid vicious is correct in that you tend to see more posts from those having problems rather than those who don't. The only real problem that I have had with my '04 is the rear brake master cylindar broke. It's covered under warranty and even if it wasn't the part is only $80 US but I think since I have to replace it anyway I'm going to buy a billet master cylindar.

FloatingAxehead
MTS: 2006 620 Dark (Flat black)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:49 am Reply with quote

The other point squid vicious nailed on the head is that the cost of maintenance is primarily labor.

Ducati wouldn't still be making the desmo engine if they felt it was unreasonable- they'd move to a conventional 4-banger because business is business. The engine isn't the problem.

And personally, I have no problem with the labor aspect, but that may just be my dealer. The guy who owns the local shop here is absolutely insane when it comes to paying attention to detail. I know that if he's working on my bike, I'm in good hands. That peace of mind is worth the cost to me.

tigertim955
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:21 am Reply with quote

I`ve gone back and looked at maintenance costs on five other bikes I`ve owned (since new) and find I`m spending no more money keeping our `05 S running good. We`ve covered over 10,000 kms in all weather with no problems at all. My service costs are not outrageous and get the bike back within 24 hours-I have seen posts on this forum that not everyone is so lucky. The MTS is truly a great motorcycle that anyone should be proud to own. I get the feeling we`ll be talking about them in the future as Vincent owners remember their bikes today.( maybe I`m getting over-dramatic but it is a great bike) Can`t think of many bikes that leave as lasting an impression.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:14 pm Reply with quote

I don't have many miles on mine (about 8K), but it is 2 years old and I haven't had any problems with it.

The cost of the regular scheduled maintenance was a little surprising, but I guess that is to be expected.

I don't think the model or the engine is fragile, but the cost per mile is going to be higher - but then so is the fun factor - IMO.
Prof
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:37 pm Reply with quote

I've had my MTS for 3 years, done nearly 12000 miles and it has mainly been very reliable. The paint on the engine casing is flaking off (I ride in all weathers and I don't clean it often enoough!)
The only major fault I had was a rectiifier problem which stopped the bike dead, but it was repaired under warranty.

I find it a great bike to ride and I look forward to loads more fun on it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:41 pm Reply with quote

I have a riding buddy with a 2000 750 Monster that has just turned past 60,000 miles. He has done only the standard maintenance and has never had a problem or failure that left him stranded.

'04 Multi 1080

www.desmoducati.org
http://picasaweb.google.com/slocumjon
www.ducatisuite.com
atypical1
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:15 pm Reply with quote

I have 12k miles this year so far and the only probs have been the valve guides. That was a known issue and was under warranty.
The sevices can be expensive and are more frequent than Japanese bikes. I try to do what I can (this is my second 2v Duc) and I am getting better. I have heard that the valve adjustments become less frequent once the motor is really broken in. I don't really consider my bike broken in yet with only 12K miles on her. I think that next year it will be though.
I ride the hell out of her in all weather. I am not gentle on her at all. I frequently am up just shy of the rev limiter (only hit it twice on the track) so the motor gets worked pretty hard with no problems.
Do the services and change the oil and you should be fine. Not saying that you won't have any trouble at all but I have found Ducs to be pretty damn reliable.

johnnyquest
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:42 pm Reply with quote

FloatingAxehead wrote:
The other point squid vicious nailed on the head is that the cost of maintenance is primarily labor.

Ducati wouldn't still be making the desmo engine if they felt it was unreasonable- they'd move to a conventional 4-banger because business is business. The engine isn't the problem.

And personally, I have no problem with the labor aspect, but that may just be my dealer. The guy who owns the local shop here is absolutely insane when it comes to paying attention to detail. I know that if he's working on my bike, I'm in good hands. That peace of mind is worth the cost to me.

Great to hear good things about the local dealer, will make my transition easier!

JQ