Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: MTS1000 or DL1000 Suzuki
Goto page Previous  1, 2
wogger
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:43 pm Reply with quote

I have never ridden a Vstrom and NEVER want to, there is NO comparison between the two bikes, there that's my opinion and I've had my multi for three years. I can honestly say I will never own any thing but Ducatis.
tolski

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:41 pm Reply with quote

wogger wrote:
I have never ridden a Vstrom and NEVER want to, there is NO comparison between the two bikes, there that's my opinion and I've had my multi for three years. I can honestly say I will never own any thing but Ducatis.

Spoken like a trooper.....an Italian trooper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:20 am Reply with quote

finn wrote:

The Suzuki is your quiet, reliable, conservative friend.
The Ducati is the life and soul of the party...
Finn

Sorry in advance for the long post. I wanted to revive this thread as I just got back from Laguna on my DL1000, hanging with all my Monster riding friends. I really miss the comraderie that comes with Ducati ownership and I came back thinking that my goal for next year is to have a bike I can park on the island. Most of the posts here come down to something similar to the above, which is absolutely true, but I want to try to compare the bikes based on what I know of the facts and not intangibles.

I used to have a Monster, but have now had the DL for two years. I needed a bike with more legroom, but beyond that I had a lot of bad luck with the Monster; many things happened that weren't really its fault, but the cost of parts made each one more significant, and it seemed that every time I added some bling, something took it out. (The guy who bought it from me has had zero problems, that figures.) As a result I was leery of the MTS in '04, particularly since it was fairly new and used ones were impossible to find (they still are, at least around here). I did test ride one briefly and loved it but my experience is limited. Here's how I break it down:

Motor and drivetrain: I think power delivery is pretty similar on the two bikes, they are both great. I'd love to see two good riders drag race them. The Strom is unbelievably cheap to have the valves done and my mechanic says he actually likes working on it. The Strom does have some character and starts to sing around 6-7000 rpm. One little discussed fact is that the Strom has a geared valve train, so no belts to break or replace, but it makes a high pitched whine which really detracts from the character at lower rpm, especially since the exhaust is so quiet. I haven't put pipes on mine so far because I like stealth mode when running at supralegal speeds. There is nothing like the sound of a Duc engine, but you all know that. The gearing on the Strom is very well selected. The Monster had an overly tall 1st gear and I suspect the MTS is similar.

The Strom is not without problems. Early ones had the infamous clutch chudder, and mine surged and sputtered at about 3k-3500 rpm. Since it's a Zuke, you can remap the ECU with a Yosh or Teka box. This helps, but the gas mileage around town goes to hell. ECU replacements fix the problem. Suzuki so far refuses to acknowledge that there is a problem but supposedly there is hope here. Apparently not all DLs are affected. I get about 24mpg riding around SF, 38-40 on the highway in a very useful and comfortable overdrive 6th gear. No oil or clutch slave leaks...um, actually I did have one leak but it cost $20 to fix.

Suspension: The MTS is obviously the clear winner here. I weigh 185 and the Strom is undersprung and overdamped. I should get this sorted out at Lindemann, but I haven't yet. I'm sure the MS forks are much stiffer too. At least the DL1000 has cartridge forks, the DL 650 did not when I bought my bike. Some of the softness of the Strom could be an asset on gravel. I have never owned a single sided swingarm bike but I want one real bad.

Brakes: MTS wins again. But I find the Strom brakes adequate and again, you don't want too much brake on dirt, so I say this is partly by design. I don't need one finger braking on this type of bike, although two-up it could become an issue. If you want more brake you can add braided lines and different pads. I found the Monster brakes a little twitchy, but the added rake and trail on the MS would help.

Tires: The MTS has road tires in normal sizes, which is nice, you have a lot of choice. But the Strom has GS sizes, so you can still get them anywhere. The MTS handling is more precise, but I like the bigger hoop up front too. It's great around the city, climbing curbs and such. I'm sure the Metzler Tourance tires I have aren't as grippy as what's available for the MTS, but I can scrape pegs, and they last 8000 miles or more. Maybe they are available for the MTS too, I don't know.

Chassis and fairing: I can't comment on the MTS as I didn't ride it long enough. I'm 6'2" btw. The Strom's wind protection is a little dodgy and many people complain about it or get aftermarket shields. I suspect the MTS is similar. The Strom shield is adjustable up or down but it doesn't seem to make a whole hell of a lot of difference. Personally I don't mind it that much, I just wear earplugs and lean my head down a bit. The fairing does a decent job of keeping wind off the legs. The integrated grip deflectors are nice and work well. I guess there are a lot of complaints about the MTS mirrors. The Strom mirrors aren't beautiful but they provide a great view and are very stable. Both fairings are considered ugly by many. I'm not convinced the MTS fairing is that much more beautiful, but it does come in better colors and the trellis frame is obviously classic. I hate the stickers on the Strom body and removed them post haste. V-Strom is a stupid name btw.

Seat: I hear complaints about both bikes, but compared to many they're not bad. The stock MTS seat is flatter than a sheet at a five star hotel. It might be comfortable, I don't know. I don't mind the stock Strom seat. It's hardly fancy but it's fine for my 46 year old posterior. I have done 400 mile days with no issues, and the girls love it. A Sargent or Corbin would be nice, give me one and I'll take it. The Strom seat releases in a half second to reveal a pretty darn good storage area. I hear the MTS seat isn't as easy.

Instrumentation and electrics: Again, I can't comment directly on the MTS but I've heard rumors of reliability issues. The DL instrumentation isn't as fancy but it works. The DL headlights look ridiculous but they are unbelievably great, like a good car, very flat and low beam spread which can be brightened further with different bulbs, and a very effective high beam. The Strom also has a nice prewired plug for grip heaters. I haven't had a single electrical issue so far.

Overall, the MTS is a more precise, more rigid, higher quality bike, more suited to an urban rider who has access to parts and service. The DL is softer--softer brakes, softer suspension, softer seat. Some of this is quality of parts and some is by design. Perhaps it's better suited to someone out in the burbs or beyond who needs more reliability and offroad capability. The MS would suffer offroad and the Strom is designed for it. I know people take their Stroms to some very out of the way places. But I never do.

So, here's what I was getting at: are there any MTS riders in the Bay Area who have been dying to ride a Strom and want to switch bikes for an hour or two or more?
squid vicious
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:09 am Reply with quote

Habanero wrote:
JohnB wrote:
Here's what I get from all this:

The Multi is a wolf in sheep's clothing.

The Vstrom is a sheep.

so the Multi is baa'd ass?

*groan*
*shakes head*

Mr. Green
garry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:20 am Reply with quote

I've demo'd both bikes and strongly prefer the Multi. It's much more nimble in the corners. The V-Strom did nothing special for me in any area.

Note that both the Multi and the V-Strom are rumored to have updates pending for 2007, so it may be wise to wait a month or so for all the 2007 model updates to be announced. If nothing else, it may drive the prices on used models down as people see what's looming for next spring.
jbcaddy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:30 am Reply with quote

for my 2 cents worth, Both bikes are too heavy to be serious dirt bikes. that being said, I have taken my multi nearly everywhere that i took my KLR 650. Like most SUV's, 99% of your riding will be on pavement. why have a tall skinny front tire that is just for looks? rumor has it that the newest V-strom is going to a 17 anyway, so there goes the supposed advantage in the dirt. that leaves road manners to be the deciding factor and I don't think even the most biased V-strom addict will tell you that thier bike will out handle a Multi.
For me, the handling far out weighs the price difference. I'm 6'2" and about 225. by the time I hit third gear on the test ride I was ready to buy.
shalbleibmts
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:27 pm Reply with quote

coming off and R1 (which I did as well) I think you'll be unhappy w/ the feedback from the Strom. everything feels loose. it's a great bike, easy to ride at a quick pace, but not really sporty in my opinion. on the other hand, the MTS is pretty wicked. I just got a new S model (which obviously makes some difference) but even w/ the standard model which i rode, the MTS gives you some much more feedback, everything feels tight and compact. to me the Strom feels like someone loosened all it's bolts when I wasn't looking.
mandrbarrett
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:41 am Reply with quote

Simple really, you ride a Suzuki, but you own a Ducati.
lotus54
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:08 pm Reply with quote

Paul D wrote:
The DL is softer--softer brakes, softer suspension, softer seat. Some of this is quality of parts and some is by design.

I only rode one fairly briefly, and your above comments pretty much summed it up.
I thought it was 'mushy' compared to my ST2 or the Multi.

Nice bike, but not what I wanted for myself. I could see me recommending it to people though.

I agree with the other comments, both bikes are too heavy for the dirt. The Multi does fine on gravel roads, but not so fine in the mud. I'm guess the DL would be better there, especially with a larger front tyre.

It all depends on what bike you enjoy riding the most.

mark

Beta XTrainer 300
MarcoT
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:57 pm Reply with quote

I demo'd both bikes and the Zuke felt really tall to me. I don't think the seat heights are all that different but I kept feeling I was going to fall over during hard cornering, squishy and a bit loose overall. It didn't help that the tires had not yet been scrubbed in and I felt the rear tire start slipping one of my favorite sweepers. By contrast the Multi tucks in and gives a real sense of security and confidence.

I was recently at a rally and parked between two V-Stroms. The Multi looked really tiny between these bikes, which translates into looking agile and fast. Not to mention more beautiful by many orders of magnitude IMHO. Did I mention that it also looks fast? (it is red afterall) I just can't warm up to the utilitarian looks of the V-Strom and the BMWs.

I don't ever go off-road but do get onto dirt and gravel regularly and am quite happy with the Multi. I even spit the rear tire out to the side on some of the shaper turns. Pretty exciting for a guy that never rode a dirt bike! Surprised Cool
Prof

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:17 pm Reply with quote

I've had an MTS for 3 years - a great bike and really flexible - no problem with passenger comfort or solo riding - maintenance can get pricey at Ducati dealers - but I recently bought a new Aprilia Caponord and that is also fun - in a different way - more like the V-Strom (which I tried) but it has a slightly more powerful engine and is also great fun to ride ( I still have the MTS!)

BUT .. Triumph have a new Tiger coming out and the new MTS is confirmed and Aprilia are rumoured to have a new Caponord due next year

so it's worth waiting until the spring

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:21 pm Reply with quote

I forgot to say I'm 6 ft 5 and the comfort screen is all that I need to keep the wind buffeting down on the MTS

MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:20 pm Reply with quote

I am 6'6", the MTS is as good as any other bike I have ridden for a guy my height.