Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: I am looking at a 2007 1100s multistrada
rebelventurer
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:02 pm Reply with quote

I am looking at the above mentioned bike and would like opinions and testimonials, from poeple who own one, I like the black version. I have read these forums, and understand that the list price is what I will have to pay and that my only reduction in price will be on setup and accessories, service etc. Will be dealing with Florida motorsports in Tallahassee Florida, unless someone can give a reason not to or a better dealer choice. Though the above mentioned dealer is relatively close to home 30 miles. Any info. will be appreciated, also info. on the above dealer appreciated too have not dealt with them before. Thanks.
Adventure Rider
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:36 pm Reply with quote

Not that many people here own the new 2007 yet, and those that do probably haven't put that many miles on them. However, I feel confident in saying (without having ridden or even seen one) that they aren't that different from the previous year models, except that they have a few improvements that all seem worthwhile and sane to me (including the wet clutch IMO). These improvements are not radical - for example the wet clutch has been in use on other Ducatis for a while.

That said, I think almost everyone here will tell you that the MTS is a great bike. IMO it is the best bike I have owned so far. If I had it to do over again I would get the 2007 'S' without blinking an eye, but I like my 2004 just fine.
rebelventurer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:55 pm Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply. Yes, from what I understand the maintanace costs have been reduced, and intervals lengthened. which appeals to me. Tell me what your maintenance costs, intervals are? And what is the biggest reason you bought a ducati?
huskyduck
MTS: 2005 1000 DS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:16 pm Reply with quote

rebelventurer wrote:
And what is the biggest reason you bought a ducati?

They have a motor design that thrums out passion that makes every other mfgs motors feel dull and boreing in comparison.

You RIDE other bikes..........you EXPERIENCE a Ducati.
wayward
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:17 pm Reply with quote

rebelventurer wrote:
what is the biggest reason you bought a ducati?
I took one for a test ride. Mr. Green

Service intervals = 6000 miles

Adventure Rider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:29 pm Reply with quote

rebelventurer wrote:
Thank you for the reply. Yes, from what I understand the maintanace costs have been reduced, and intervals lengthened. which appeals to me. Tell me what your maintenance costs, intervals are? And what is the biggest reason you bought a ducati?
My first and only service so far was the 6K service (I bought the bike used with 4500 miles on it). That cost $1100 (including tax). I had expected it to around half that. The shop I took it to recommended I replace the clutch pack, which I assented to (I can do that kind of stuff myself as I used to be a pro mech, but I have neither the shop/tools or inclination to work on things mechanical any longer and I can afford not to) and which probably accounted for about $350 of that cost. I wasn't sure (and still am not) that the clutch pack was needed, but it did quiet it down significantly and I didn't want problems later with the clutch and them saying "well if you had replaced when we said to then we would have covered this", so I let them do it. I was a bit sticker shocked and I hope that Ducatis really don't need a new clutch pack every 6K miles. Rolling Eyes Shocked I doubt the new wet clutch would unless you abuse it (I don't). I am given to understand that the 12K service will cost more than a 6K service, but I am also inclined to go with a different shop (I took it to the dealer I bought the bike from). The bike did run a lot better after the service, but that might have just been replacing the plugs and a slight tuneup. Whatever.

Why did I buy a Ducati? I have always lusted after one before I even really knew what they were. When I was a kid I tried to get a used one that didn't even run, it was just a single cylinder bevel head (175 cc IIRC), and at the time it was just another motorcycle, albeit somewhat strange looking and unknown to me. I have always liked the sound of a 90 degree V-Twin, and the caché of the brand.

I like to be a little different than the crowd. Everybody and their dogs rides a Japanese bike or a Harley Davidson, few even know what a Ducati is, and those that do know tend to respect it, in part as not just another "me too" bike. However, if Suzuki/Yamaha/et. al. made something equivalent to the MTS for significantly less, I probably would have bought that, but their bikes that are in that class don't come close in my opinion (especially with respect to handling). Due to spinal traumas, I can't ride a sport bike - I need to sit up - and I am tall so I can't fit on a bike with a cramped (for me) riding position. So the MTS was the first Ducati I could ride for any length of time. One ride and I was hooked.

I kind of bought the bike on a whim; I had been intending to buy a KTM LC8, but I fell in love with the MTS instead.
rebelventurer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:28 pm Reply with quote

Wow, $1100 for the 6k service, that seems rediculously high! two sparkplugs, a scan on the computer, an oil change, air filters. even with the clutch it still seems very high. what else did they do? did you get a reach around with that.LOL. This is why I am inquiring about the bikes, I do not wish to pay for the bike twice, with service that is overpriced. Any one else got some service prices? I love the style, sound, and technology of the Ducati, however would be floored at service costs like the one above.
Steve B
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:31 pm Reply with quote

I've had an '04 1000 and now have an '07 1100S. Rebelventurer, don't assume that you're just stuck with paying list price. Many dealers will give you break, check around. I don't have anything to add about maintenance that hasn't already been said. If maintenance costs are a scare for you, at least do a lot of the little things yourself, they're pretty easy to work on.
rebelventurer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:58 pm Reply with quote

Thanks Steve B, We own several dirt bikes and I do all the work on them, I am looking at the Ducati for taking my wife on weekend getaways and such. From what I understand the 07 is supposed to have lower maintanance costs? At present I am waiting for the dealer to put in writing what those costs should be. I think this is a good move after reading some posts here I have seen the 6k service costing between $285-1100, what a spread. How do you like the 07, and if you dont mind me asking what did you have to pay for her?
Steve B

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:02 pm Reply with quote

I paid $13,100 for it. They knocked $900 off it right away, but it's the 5th Ducati I've bought from them. Twenty percent off on parts too. I thought it was a fair price and didn't even haggle with them. I really like it, but I enjoyed tremendously my 1000 for three years, so I knew what I wanted and expected. I'm not going to claim that it's hugely different than my '04 1000, but there are some nice changes, not the least of which is the Ohlins suspension on the S vs the Showas on my standard 1000. As others will mention, the Showas are perfectly fine, but there IS a difference. It's smoother than the 1000 was, could be mostly the rubber mounted bars now on the 1100. It does pull smoother and stronger than the 1000 down low. I've only had it a little over a week and 500 miles, so I haven't ridden it hard though. The wet clutch is sacrilege to some, but I'm liking it. It's much smoother and more progressive than the dry clutch. I've put a couple clutches in previous Ducatis, and it's easy to do, but if you going to put any miles on a bike, you shouldn't have to replace the clutch every 15k miles or so. That's about what to expect out of a Duc dry clutch.

You will find a huge difference in what dealers both charge and recommend be performed at services. IMO some dealers, perhaps more so in larger metropolitan areas, are going to gig the customer for every cent they can. I asked my dealer what the difference in maintenance costs would be on the new bike. He said besides the valve check intervals being lengthened from 6k to 7.5k miles, it's things like not changing the air or fuel filters so often, other small maintenance checks they're stretching out. I don't think, other than the wet clutch for '07, there is any change in the bike that requires less maintenance, they're just focusing on reducing the costs to quit scaring customers away.

You're a prime example of someone who's interested in a Ducati, but doesn't want a high maintenance bike. I think Ducati is finally trying to address this.
Steve B

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:03 pm Reply with quote

I paid $13,100 for it. They knocked $900 off it right away, but it's the 5th Ducati I've bought from them. Twenty percent off on parts too. I thought it was a fair price and didn't even haggle with them. I really like it, but I enjoyed tremendously my 1000 for three years, so I knew what I wanted and expected. I'm not going to claim that it's hugely different than my '04 1000, but there are some nice changes, not the least of which is the Ohlins suspension on the S vs the Showas on my standard 1000. As others will mention, the Showas are perfectly fine, but there IS a difference. It's smoother than the 1000 was, could be mostly the rubber mounted bars now on the 1100. It does pull smoother and stronger than the 1000 down low. I've only had it a little over a week and 500 miles, so I haven't ridden it hard though. The wet clutch is sacrilege to some, but I'm liking it. It's much smoother and more progressive than the dry clutch. I've put a couple clutches in previous Ducatis, and it's easy to do, but if you going to put any miles on a bike, you shouldn't have to replace the clutch every 15k miles or so. That's about what to expect out of a Duc dry clutch.

You will find a huge difference in what dealers both charge and recommend be performed at services. IMO some dealers, perhaps more so in larger metropolitan areas, are going to gig the customer for every cent they can. I asked my dealer what the difference in maintenance costs would be on the new bike. He said besides the valve check intervals being lengthened from 6k to 7.5k miles, it's things like not changing the air or fuel filters so often, other small maintenance checks they're stretching out. I don't think, other than the wet clutch for '07, there is any change in the bike that requires less maintenance, they're just focusing on reducing the costs to quit scaring customers away.

You're a prime example of someone who's interested in a Ducati, but doesn't want a high maintenance bike. I think Ducati is finally trying to address this.
Adventure Rider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:22 pm Reply with quote

rebelventurer wrote:
Wow, $1100 for the 6k service, that seems rediculously high! two sparkplugs, a scan on the computer, an oil change, air filters. even with the clutch it still seems very high. what else did they do? did you get a reach around with that.LOL. This is why I am inquiring about the bikes, I do not wish to pay for the bike twice, with service that is overpriced. Any one else got some service prices? I love the style, sound, and technology of the Ducati, however would be floored at service costs like the one above.
I would have to look at the invoice, but they did more as I recall - they checked the valves (I can't remember if they actually had to adjust them or not, they might have), and the belts, and so on. I think the base quoted cost was about $700, which is maybe on the high end, but not unheard of, then as I said there was the clutch ($200+ parts and more for labor), and then tax (about 8% to 10% IIRC).

From what I have heard, this is not out of line with the service costs on other brands, but it is more often - about twice as often.

I would not recommend buying a Ducati if you can't handle the maintenance costs, unless you are really into working on your own bikes and are adept at it.