Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: seat?
jasper91
MTS: 2005 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:36 pm Reply with quote

Think I am considering buying an aftermarket seat for my MTS 620.
What do you guys recommend? Sargent? Ducati? Corbin? other? or forget it. My seat not really bad but past a 100 miles it hurts some!

Thanks in advance for advice Smile Cool

Previous bike
2000 BMW R1200CE
okeefenokeejoe
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:27 pm Reply with quote

Simply put, although the Sargeant seat is light-years better than the '04 seat, it is only marginally better than the stock '05/'06 seat. Likewise, the Corbin seat has not gotten rave reviews either. [Of course, after the scam Mike Corbin and family pulled on investors (and employees) during the "Sparrow Car" fraud, I wouldn't purchase a Corbin saddle if it was the best thing since sliced bread, but I digress.] What you have to understand about both Corbin and Sargeant is that while their seats are usually a slight improvement over the OEM saddle, they are made to accomodate a wide variety of different sized individuals. Hence, most folks receive only marginal improvement in seating.

My reccomendation is to spend $50 to$100 more and let a custom saddle maker build a seat specific to your needs and dimensions. There are several good custom saddlesmiths out there. Rich O'Connor, for example, at Rich's Custom Seats, has a lot of experience and a stellar reputation with the Multistrada saddles and even built the saddle for Iron Butt champion and long distance record holder, Gary Eagan. Bill "Rocky" Mayer is another accomplished saddlemaker, as is his brother, Rick Mayer. In addtion, the Russell Day-Long Saddle continues to get rave reviews. Any of these folks can build a saddle that far exceeds the comfort of a Sargeant or Corbin, therefore, providing a level of riding satisfaction that supercedes any mass produced aftermarket product.

While a leather saddle may run substantially more, any of the aforementioned saddlemakers will make a saddle out of vinyl (a much greater quality of vinyl than any OEM saddle and, in fact, closely resembles leather) that will give you years of wear and, like I previously mentioned, will only cost a "nickle" more than the Sargeant or Corbin.

Nevertheless, after saying all that, if I HAD to choose between the Sargeant and the Corbin seat, I would take the Sargeant, hands down. While both of them offer, essentially, the same degree of comfort, Sargeant has much better customer service. Corbin, in case you are unaware, has one of the worst customer service records of anyone in the business. Good customer experiences with Corbin are the exception rather than the rule. If something is wrong with a Corbin seat, good luck trying to get them to do something about it. Just do a little research and see what I mean.

Sorry to be so long winded, but that's my opinion. I wish you the very best.

Ride Safely,

OkeefenokeeJoe

Last edited by okeefenokeejoe on Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
fmechini
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:43 pm Reply with quote

WOW ...

that is how you rip a new one with style ... please do remind me to be ALWAYS on your side.

Regards, Fred

2005 Red Ducati Multistrada "la signorina"
2003 Blue Suzuki DR650 "il muletto"
okeefenokeejoe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:17 pm Reply with quote

Fred,

I couldn't help it. I was hungry and waiting for my tacos to be served. I suppose my brain was in that aggressive hunter/gatherer mode from being nutritionally deficient.

Whatever.

After downing three tacos, I'm much more relaxed now. (however, Iwould ride on a saddle carved out of wood before giving the Corbins one dime of my money)

OkeefenokeeJoe
jasper91
MTS: 2005 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:45 pm Reply with quote

Smile Thanks OkeefenokeeJoe for your help. My dealer's part's manager told me the same thing about Corbin. He however didn't know much more abailibility other than Ducati comfort or Seargant.
I will contact these custom seat makers you refered to.
My problem even with the 06 620 is that the seat is a little tall. Not as tall as the 1000's but still I have trouble from time to time getting on easily. Part of my problem is stiffness do to back problems. Also like I mentioned in my first post after a 100 miles my butt is getting sore.
I don't know if there is a real answer to my situation as I need the seat to be lower but at the same time more comfortable would be desireable. other than that I love the bike and has been the only bike I have ridden that does not make my back get really sore.
Interestingly I threw my leg over a new 07 MTS 1100 and it was easy to mount. Since it has a slightly taller seating position than mine I am thinking they may have lengthend the kickstand which would have lowered the seat when getting on the bike. I can't really tell by looking at it so next time I go down there I think I will measure from ground to seat from left side (kickstand side).
Thank you very much for your help your comments about Corbin just confirmed what the parts manager said too!

Jasper91

Previous bike
2000 BMW R1200CE
Emerson
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:58 pm Reply with quote

I'm going to be investing in an aftermarket saddle though perhaps not until late winter (no long rides coming up).

My '04 saddle was "good enough" for 2 years and 7k miles... until I did 1200+ miles this past weekend in just under 24 hours... by arse has never hurt so bad - ever. The bike was wonderful, but the seat... Stubborn Crying or Very sad

I was considering a Sargeant, but will probably end up with a custom - they really aren't much more, and since I'll have time to pinch pennies, it'd be no big deal. okee makes good points (I had not heard about this Corbin stuff).
okeefenokeejoe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:48 pm Reply with quote

Jasper91,

My personal saddle is made by Rich's Custom Seats. My seat is made of vinyl and I can attest to the fact that it is of excellent quality and WELL beyond the quality of vinyl you will find on any OEM seat. In fact, I am soon to write an evaluation on my saddle for this forum. I strongly considered getting my seat in leather, but due to the fact that I change bikes about every two years (or less), I couldn't justify the additional expense of leather. The vinyl meets all my needs and is so thick and rich most people think it's leather.

Whether you decide to go with a custom seat from Rich or either of the Mayer brothers, or Russell Day-Long, please call them and discuss your needs. The information you provide them is critical to how they configure and shape your new seat. Bottom line, you will be very pleased with the results and will NEVER regret the few dollars extra it cost over the mass produced Sargeant or Corbin seats.

By the way, I can relate to the back issue and to seat height. You and I appear to have the same problems. No more, however. Rich's saddle has cured my woes. I can ride all day comfortably.

Again, good luck in the search for the perfect seat. It sound like you are on the right track.

OkeefenokeeJoe