Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Performance upgrades?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Dinola
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:28 am Reply with quote

In considering a 620 I'm wondering if some basic intake/exhaust upgrades make a significant difference in the performance of this engine? Or would it be best to leave it stock and accept the bike as it is? I'm not a speed freak but a little concerned if the 620 will leave me a bit underwhelmed. I'm basically a conservative rider but not unknown to wring it out a bit. Oh, lets face it - I'm an old coger... but if basic mods make a big difference I might consider it in haggling with the dealer. There seem to be some motivated dealers just now.
XSTRADA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:40 am Reply with quote

My 620 is bone stock and I couldn't ask for anything more... broad powerband... plenty of torque... maybe swap the cans just to get more of that true Ducati sound. I almost changed out the cans to Staintunes but after waiting mos and mos on backorder... I threw in the towel and decided to stay with the Duc ones.

Smile

MTS: 2006 620 Dark (Flat black)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:23 pm Reply with quote

I hate to admit it, but even after installing a 14T sprocket I find the bike a little underwhelming sometimes. It's still awesome in the corners and all, but I wonder almost daily if I shouldn't have gone for the more powerful (and more supported by aftermarket) larger engine.

As it is I'm seriously considering getting a Buell for my next bike, like the CityX. Confused

Dinola

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:33 pm Reply with quote

thanks for the honest replies.
I get the sense this a cusp situation, just enough for most, just under for some. rather subjective I know, and I guess it really depends on the rider. I get the sense too that as with most bikes, mods aren't going to change the essential nature. Minor improvments but not reaching a tipping point. Again, very subjective.
Thanks again.
JC
MTS: 2006 620 (Black)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:56 pm Reply with quote

I've also got a BMW 03'GT @ 130HP and thats too much with over 600lbs. for my handicap self,

I find my 14T 620 just right for fun and if I was a better rider as most could be the 620 has a lot to offer,

I'd like to drag a knee, but haven't ,yet or can't .
So its just right my GT will go 150mph and thats scarry, my 620 with 14T will go about TON+8, and with the wind is more fun than 150 on the GT!

BWTFDIK-JMHO

JC Wink

09 Kawasaki Super Sherpa [my real dirt bike]
bikernut

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:47 pm Reply with quote

I'm completely happy with the power of my 620 and the 50 mpg is a bonus.

02 Victory V92C (Poser Parade bike)
FloatingAxehead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:36 pm Reply with quote

Ok, let me clarify my last post a little. I love when I can actually get my bike out of town, on a warm day when I know my tires & the roads on Mt Lemmon will grip. There's very little more satisfying than the pissed off GSX-R 1000 who simply cannot lose me in the corners. I bought the bike on Oct. 13th. By Dec 18th it had filled me with such confidence that I was quite happily dragging footpegs and had no chicken strip left on my rear tire.

My disappointment is that I use my bike as a daily commuter- I'm on it, in traffic, every day. Ugh. This is where I notice the 30-50mph acceleration isn't nearly what I would like. I know "any idiot can simply open the throttle", but it seems more and more like an excuse for an underpowered bike. If I can drag pegs on either side, sometimes in an intersection as I turn in city, then haven't I proven I can ride and may I have some more power, too?

Plus, since it's my only bike, I hate taking in on the freeway for two reasons. First, the windscreen (for me) is worthless and buffets me something awful- and all the replacements are ugly. Second, the bike really strains to do anything over 100mph, and sometimes I want to let out my inner squid and scare the piss out of myself. And I just can't.

I know wheelies are a dumb idea, but it would be nice to know I easily could if I wanted to. It simply needs more power. Sad

joe camarda

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:43 pm Reply with quote

FloatingAxehead...I'm with you on this. And Dinola I like the "cusp" analogy. Sometimes I'm on the love side of the cusp and sometimes I find myself wondering if 620cc is enough (although in my heart I know it really is). Then, there is the swingarm issue.

But I keep coming back to the fact that the 620 is lighter and more nimble than the 1000 is, which I like...unless I'm on the other side of the cusp that day.

Where oh where is the long promised (well actually just mentioned) MTS 800? Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:35 am Reply with quote

If I knew there was going to be an 800 in 2008, I'd wait. But I think not. With no 2007 baby, why would Ducati just skip a year? I'm afraid if I don't buy a 620 now, I never will. At 5'7, I can't even tip-toe the 1000. Maybe some can, but I can't. It must be my enormous wedding tackle...
Habanero
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:14 am Reply with quote

Dinola wrote:
It must be my enormous wedding tackle...

sounds like you could skip the performance upgrade.
FloatingAxehead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:08 am Reply with quote

enormous wedding tackle...? Think

Shocked

Tackle + Monster 695 = Multistrada 620 seat hight? Laughing

joe camarda

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:13 am Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Somebody take FloatingAxeHead aside and s'plain to him 'bout the thing that jump 'round down there sometimes Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:30 pm Reply with quote

im about 5'8" and 140lbs., at 5'7" im pretty sure you'll find the 620 a good choice, part of the reason i bought it was the lower seat height and a little bit lighter than the 1000. for a lightweight guy the 620 will move you along pretty good.

floatingaxehead is right its not a bullet bike, but it is pretty quick, ive had my 620 (stock)up to 115mph, thats about all it will do, but cruising at 95-100 isnt a problem. because im shorter i dont really notice a problem with the windscreen being inadequate. i ride on the freeway often at 88-90(would be faster but i dont want a ticket) with out wind problems, i also ride with my wife(5'4" and 140) and it still picks up and goes.
i have a 748 that i ride, i switch back and forth and when i get back on the multi i dont feel like it is lacking in power, allthough i will admit that i woulnt mind having a 1098 engine in it(or both of them) Very Happy , as long as your not expecting a bullet bike you'll love it. Smile

http://bang-fab.blogspot.com/
http://www.dynamicmotorcycleaccessories.com/

06 Red Multistrada 620
00 Aprilia Pegaso 650
01 Red Ducati 748
07 Red Ducati 1098
10 Red Multistrada 1200S
Dinola

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:19 pm Reply with quote

Thank guys, I'm confident now about the power issue. I don't want a rocket but no one implied geriatric. The adjectives were descriptive enought for me to understand what the performance range might be like. Now I need to find out what the experience is like, and there's only one way to do that.
Thanks for your comments and patience
FloatingAxehead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:29 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, it's never geriatric! And a 14T sprocket and Iridium plugs do seem to have some good effects on the bike, for not a lot of extra cash. Now that I've got my handguards (for breaking cold wind on my summer weight gloves) and my top box giving me some locking storage, I feel like it's the perfect urban assault vehicle. Cool

joe camarda, I'm still too young and immature to understand any explanations without making faces and juvenile jokes! Laughing