Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Multistrada as first real bike?
Mark Fruin
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:44 pm Reply with quote

I have been interested in Ducatis for some time and in the Multi since it came out. I have been riding a dual purpose Yamaha 200 cc. bike for a couple of months. I have taken the motorcycle safety course and wear
a helmet and gear. I am a reasonably cautious, fit, 48 year old man. 5'11' and 165 lbs.
Would it make more sense to get a new Multi now or get a Monster 620 and ride it a year and then trade in for Multi? There is a dealer about 15 miles away and money is not an issue. Would the multistrada be totally unreasonable now?
desmodue

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:59 pm Reply with quote

Mark Fruin wrote:
Would the multistrada be totally unreasonable now?

By the MTS now!!!
You would be dissapointed in the small Monster. I have been riding since 1975.
My experience is that a lot of people are affraid of the cubic and after a couple months they are realy fed up with the bike.

The Multstrada is not a bike that´s fighting back on you and and like most bikes (all of them) it´s about the guy behind the bars.

The MTS is more frendly in town and on track than any bike I have had.

And the fastest in town and on track allso Cool !!!

By one, I have one myself Very Happy
overipe+keen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:07 pm Reply with quote

Having had a Monster I;d say definately go straight to the MS!! You will get fed up with the power missing when you get really confident and then lose a barrel of money in depreciation when you change. I'm fairly similar in size & weight to you and the MS rules!!
Very Happy

MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:19 pm Reply with quote

Since you say money isn't an issue, I think you'd be fine. The concern for most people starting out with an expensive bike is that you'll almost inevitably drop it. Replacement bodywork and parts aren't cheap. The Multistrada is a responsive bike, but not intimidating. The only downside I can think is that you'll be starting out on the most fun streetbike there is. There's no place to go but down! Wink
Doc
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:45 pm Reply with quote

Steve B wrote:
The only downside I can think is that you'll be starting out on the most fun streetbike there is. There's no place to go but down! Wink

You just took the words out of my mouth Very Happy

Mark just go for it !!! Won't regret it.

Doc

MultiMan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:22 pm Reply with quote

In terms of your "first real bike purchase," it appears you've already settled the "new or used" and "Ducati or something else" debates. That's the hard part I think.

As to whether you should go with the MS or the baby Monster, I would agree with my fellow posters and say go with the MS if that's what you want. It's a more capable and versatile bike that will better allow you to follow your motocycling interests as they evolve--which they almost certainly will.

Buying an MS represented my return to riding after a significant time away. I found the upright riding position and the good midrange meant the MS was not intimidating for a rider with rusty skills. I assume your experience would be similar. The height of the bike may be offputting for some shorter, less experienced riders, but is not likely an issue if you're already running about on a dual-sport bike.