Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Should I buy a used bike first?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
ERRN
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:08 pm Reply with quote

Hello all!

Great site, I have enjoyed reading all this great info. A few friends have tried to convince me you buy a used 500-700cc bike to start out on so when, not if, I drop her or worse... I won't feel so bad about the damage etc. And they say that it will be more forgiving than a 1100 cc bike to learn on. You get the idea. What has been your experience? Also, I have seen many references to work that need to be done at the 600 mile and 6000 mile service intervals is this covered under warranty? Have any of you been able to negotiate these service checks for free?

Bob
tweake
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:40 pm Reply with quote

i say if u want a multi go for a used or left over 620 .
i myself have a 1000s but test rode a 620 and man what a bad ass bike Very Happy it only has 60hp or so but there some but kicking pony's . it feels way more then 60 to ur but Shocked
its a very smooth power delivery. imo its the ideal bike to learn on and to live with for a very long long time . if u read tru some of the post here u will find the 620 is a super fun bike even more so then the 1000 imo and it will keep u happy even as a advanced rider . i have owned every thing from jap 1000 to 600 to full dressed HD and goldwings .
if it wasn't for my size i would have got the 620 dark but i am 6-3 300lbs Rolling Eyes
get a 620 put some frame sliders on it take the msf course and some good gear and enjoy ur ducati

PC3 custom maped
d/p half c/f clutch cover d/p c/f hugger
d/p ecu d/p air filter /air box mod
sargent seat-aprilla bars rizoma grips
ERRN

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:51 pm Reply with quote

Thanks Tweake -

What my friends are telling me is to stay around a $1000.00 for the first bike so it will already have the dings and dents that I can add to...

What are frame sliders and where do I get them?

Bob
JohnB
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:54 pm Reply with quote

I agree with tweake. The only liability I can see with the 620 or any Multi for a beginner is the cost of replacement bodywork if you damage it. Of course, you don't have to replace it ...
VTMulti
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:27 pm Reply with quote

Well, I am a "never rode before" guy who read all the advice about getting a used beater for a first bike (which does make very good sense), and then went and bought a brand new '05 leftover 1000Ds with a slipper clutch last winter.

My reasoning: I felt that if I bought a beater, I'd have a greater chance of losing interest in riding prematurely. At age 57, I figured this was my one shot to get into the sport. I took a one day Ducati Riding Experience class (just happened to be in Italy, ostensibly to celebrate my wife's birthday), then the MSF Beginners Course. The DRE course wasn't so hot, but I did get to ride a MTS 620 around the parking lot for a day, and got to experience all the Ducati schtick (Factory tour with Livio, Ducati Museum, Futa Pass, watching Ducs go around Mugeullo? racecourse, etc). THe MSF Course was great.

The Monday after the MSF course, my Multi was delivered. I was intimidated the first time I got on it, but went on to ride over 6,000 miles my first season, took two overnight trips, never dropped the bike, had only one close call --- and absolutely love the bike and riding. The Multi works great for me because of the ergos (I'm 6'3" - 240Lbs) it has a versatile torque curve - AND IS JUST PLAIN FUN!!! No mechanical problems whatsoever.

I used to chuckle reading the folks on this forum going on and on about various aftermarket stuff. Since then I've added full Staintunes, huggers, tank bags, Multi Fizz, etc etc.

I'm planning a "Long Way Round" trip next summer up the North side of the St Lawrence River to Sept Iles, then a long ferry ride to Rimouski, then back down the south side.

Just one person's experience, for what it's worth. Good luck - I don't think you can go too wrong with any decision you make.

RB
tweake
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:31 pm Reply with quote

ERRN wrote:
Thanks Tweak -

What my friends are telling me is to stay around a $1000.00 for the first bike so it will already have the dings and dents that I can add to...

What are frame sliders and where do I get them?

Bob

frame sliders are this plastic things that stick out of the side of ur bike that help prevent damage in a tip over . i dont have a pic of a multi that has them on it .maybe someone has 1 they can post ?
u can buy them about any place there about 120 bucks cheap insurers IMO
are u looking to buy a multistrada or just searching around ?

PC3 custom maped
d/p half c/f clutch cover d/p c/f hugger
d/p ecu d/p air filter /air box mod
sargent seat-aprilla bars rizoma grips
GrayMia
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:12 pm Reply with quote

Everyone always says, "Gotta get used for your first bike, 'cause you're gonna lay it down"...

Personally, I think that's shitty thinking. Get what you want, not what others think. So what if you lay it down, you we're probably smilin' up to that point!

View my Duc at: http://www.graymia.com/Ducati.htm
JohnB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:22 am Reply with quote

GrayMia wrote:
Everyone always says, "Gotta get used for your first bike, 'cause you're gonna lay it down"...

Personally, I think that's shitty thinking. Get what you want, not what others think. So what if you lay it down, you we're probably smilin' up to that point!

I agree with Gray, I've never bought a used street bike. However, I did a lot of learning in the dirt before I went to the street.
ge360
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:02 am Reply with quote

I too agree with GrayMia, you're not bound to lay it down. That said, I did on day two of my 620. Damn gravel. I was enjoying myself, not watching the road conditions, just way too much grinning. Oh well. Now at 15K and I'm finally replacing the scrathed up parts. Other than that just standard maintenance.

I don't think anyone's mentioned it, but last year on certain model, MTS1000 included, the 600 & 6K service were included. You'll just have to see if your dealer will eat it for the sale.

'06 MTS620; adopted and picture perfect

"Its only a problem if you stop"
ERRN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:10 pm Reply with quote

Hee hee!

I knew I could count on you guys & gals to talk me into my new Multi!! I want a 2007 1100S Black if I can find one. If anyone has any suggestions on which sliders to purchase I think that might just be the direction I will go in... sort of like starting out with training wheels, no?

I got a quote from a dealer in Danbury, CT that seems kind of high - $13,995 for MTS1100S + $300.00 freight + $375.00 handling + $839.70 vehicle tax + $49.44 sales tax (Didn't know CT had two taxes on motorcycles!???) + Doc Fees $149.00 License Fee $99.00 (for the plates and registration I assume) Total $15,807.14 out the door, plus financing. Am I getting hosed?

Bob
JohnB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:33 pm Reply with quote

ERRN wrote:
I got a quote from a dealer in Danbury, CT that seems kind of high - $13,995 for MTS1100S + $300.00 freight + $375.00 handling + $839.70 vehicle tax + $49.44 sales tax (Didn't know CT had two taxes on motorcycles!???) + Doc Fees $149.00 License Fee $99.00 (for the plates and registration I assume) Total $15,807.14 out the door, plus financing. Am I getting hosed?Bob

Hey Bob,

This guy is not cutting you a break on ANYTHING. He's quoting full MSRP + all the other junk. At this time of the year, you should be seeing some discount on the bike ($500 to $1000) and no "handling" fees either. The $149 doc fees should be negotiable too. Shop around a little and go back there if that's the dealer you want to buy from.

Good Luck,
John
shalbleibmts
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:33 pm Reply with quote

a new bike is as good an idea as a new car - it's not. that being said i've had 7 bikes in the past 7 years and only one's been used. i would still recommend a used 620 unless you're planning on taking some long trips. around town the 620's probably a bit more fun and quite a bit cheaper ($ for aftermarket exhaust and other gadgets - if it's your first bike you'll need plenty). and if you don't take that advice, i might suggest removing the "S" from your purchase. i bought the 1100S and don't get me wrong, the suspension is nice, but i don't know that it's necessary on this type of bike at an additional $2k to boot. i'm sure some folks will disagree w/ me.

and it sounds like your quote is by the book, so they're not ripping you off but their not dying to get your business. i paid quite a bit less for mine but it was my 4th duc from that shop...

as for dropping it, take an MSF course! everyone should if they're new to it plus you automatically get your drivers license if you pass and you don't crash a $15k bike and yourself! the 1100 is a bit of a handful. wheelies easier than my R1 ever did...
falcofred
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:37 pm Reply with quote

I don't know why first time buyers even ask for advice on their first purchase. I've been riding street bikes since 82, and have given lots of advice to first time buyers, like learn in the dirt first, buy a used bike of smaller displacement, etc. I don't believe anyone has ever heeded my advice. They usually have made up their minds before even asking. Motorcycles are a purchase of passion, not a calculated thought out decision.
My advice to this ERRN is buy a used Suzuki SV650. Ride it for a year, then start shopping for the bike your heart lusts for.
The last time I gave this advice the guy bought a Suzuki, but not a SV, he bought a Hyabusa Think
Then he asked if I would ride with him to Deals Gap Think
I never rode with him, I don't want to be the one to call 911 or have to tell his family what happened to him.
Happy ending, after a few years, and even fewer miles he sold the bike and doesn't ride anymore.

MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:40 pm Reply with quote

Get either a used one or a heavily discounted leftover (best of both worlds if you can find one). Let someone else eat the depreciation hit for the new bike. Multis are somewhat overpriced at MSRP, IMHO. The used market for multis is pretty reliable since most of them are well cared for.
titan305
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:22 pm Reply with quote

I have a 620Drk for sale in Houston,Tx. $6000 email for pics
williams3535@cebridge.net