Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Should I buy a used bike first?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
GrayMia
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:55 pm Reply with quote

...yeah, be fiscally responsible...the other bikers will appreciate it.... Eh? Whistle Very Happy

....That dealer would be sticking it to you btw.

View my Duc at: http://www.graymia.com/Ducati.htm
ERRN
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:41 pm Reply with quote

How would you guys counter with the offer I got. I'm not that savy at negotiating, all my (new) cars have been purchase at cost as I have a relative that works for a huge dealership.

Thanks for all the advice!

Bob
ge360
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:45 pm Reply with quote

One method that I've heard that works is to write a letter describing what you want. Fax it to any dealer you're willing to pick up from. Instruction them to fax you back a quote. Then take your pick.

If you want to work with the dealer you're at, be blunt. Tell the saleman you're also considering used, agree to the list price if they throw in bennies, such as bags or other accessories. Personally I would pay list and ask for the service for the first 2 years. Really they would eat may be $200 in parts (their cost) the rest is just their time, which they would probably be willing to give up.

good luck

'06 MTS620; adopted and picture perfect

"Its only a problem if you stop"
FloatingAxehead
MTS: 2006 620 Dark (Flat black)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:58 pm Reply with quote

If I had it to do all over again...?

I'd buy used, to stay away from the depreciation when you take a new bike off the lot. It's just like a car, in that respect.

$5000 for a used bike ought to buy you PLENTY of bike. My next one will be this plan, in fact. You can get a 2 year old Buell XB for about half of what they list for new. Check eBay. I may even sell my 620, for something insanely faster like a BMW K1200R...

ERRN
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:18 pm Reply with quote

I understand the reasoning when you suggest the used bike concept, but its so difficult to satisfy the "need" for the latest greatest, if you know what I mean. I know its only a few more horsepower, and dampened handle bars, and a few more cosmetic things but I keep telling myself, what about the 50% less in service costs? Or do you guys think that is a sales gimic? And by the way why, aren't the 600 and 7500 mile service checks covered under warranty? I would think a valve adjustment should be covered? I know I should pay for oil changes and air filters, spark plugs etc...

Thanks for your advice!

Robert
ge360
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:33 pm Reply with quote

Nope, regular maintenance and adjustments are not warranty. If its broke or runs poorly, thats warranty. Dealers have to make money other than just initial sales.

In my 18 months of ownership & 16K miles, I've spent ~$1800 for service, 1 set of tires and a chain. More than half that total was dealer labor.

'06 MTS620; adopted and picture perfect

"Its only a problem if you stop"
shask
MTS: 2007 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:00 pm Reply with quote

I ordered red 1100S today (haven't been in the saddle in 30 yrs.); Paid MSRP but only $149 prep, no delivery fee. ++taxes (can't get out of that or death). Don't let $1,000 keep you from your dreams. Consider red if have less experience. You'll be seen better. Also, red is classic Duc. color. Go for it.
FloatingAxehead
MTS: 2006 620 Dark (Flat black)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:56 am Reply with quote

I didn't think about labor costs on the 07's. That's a pretty decent reason to buy new, actually. I guess what I'm saying is I don't know if I would buy a 620 again.

...of course, a good ride this weekend will remind me why I did. Cool

mpandzik
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:49 am Reply with quote

I've had dozens of bikes, and ridden for 42 years. Listen to your friends. First, get some training at the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. They have a beginning rider course that you can do over the course of a few evenings and the following weekend -- they even provide the bike!

The fact is, if you buy a good used bike "right" (at a good price in your favor), you can ride it for a season and sell it next year for about the same money -- IF you store it in a garage out of the weather. (Nothing "wears out" a bike as fast as leaving it outside all the time!)

Motorcycling may or may not be for you. Some people really think they want to do it, then are put off by the coordination required, the weight and power of the bike, or the crazy street traffic.

Buy your first bike used -- say, something in the 350 to 500 cc range. Then if you still like riding after your first year, you can use it as a trade-in on the bike of your dreams. But get a good strong season of experience first, before you invest $12 or $15 K in your first "learner" bike!

And get a Motorcycle Endorsement on your state-issued driver's license! You'll save 10% to 15% a year on insurance, and you'll never be able to rent a bike without the M/C endorsement!

Mike - Kansas City
flying_hun
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:08 pm Reply with quote

ERRN wrote:
I understand the reasoning when you suggest the used bike concept, but its so difficult to satisfy the "need" for the latest greatest, if you know what I mean. I know its only a few more horsepower,

To be blunt, why do you need the latest and greatest anyway? You're not going to be able to use it. You may think that's rude, but in my experience (coming up on 40 years) it is the rare noob who can use more than about 10-20% of a bike's capabilities.

If you are really, really determined to take the hit on depreciation as a sacrifice to your ego, it's your money. You are very, very unlikely to save more on reduced service costs for the 07 compared to the depreciation hit you'll surely take. You are similarly very, very unlikely to experience ANY performance benefit from an 1100 versus a 1000, and for that matter a 620 simply because you're unlikely to have the skills to effectively utilize it anywhere but in a straight line.

If you're really serious about accepting advice rather than just seeking validation for preconceived notions, buy a used bike. Second, don't worry about how much horsepower it has - that only matters in about 2 situations; bragging at the local hangout, and passing a line of cars (or Harleys Laughing ) on a double yellow. It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. Third, spend all the money you're going to save on first rate gear, then take every riding class you can. If you haven't already, take the MSF Basic Rider Course, followed by the Experienced Rider Course, followed by Lee Parks' Total Control, followed by as many track schools as you can do. All of that will cost less than two years of depreciation on a new bike, and at the end of it you will be a faster, safer rider who can drop less skilled riders on the latest and greatest hardware. The skills you will have learned won't depreciate, and will readily transfer from bike to bike.

The best part is - judging from your login (ERRN) - you'll be much less likely to be making a visit to your professional colleagues. BTW, I ride with a fellow who is an ER-RN, as well as an MSF rider coach. If you won't take my word, would you take his?

Best wishes,

Kurt