Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Any one tried the BMW R1150GS and Ducati Multistrada ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Captain Scarlet
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:09 am Reply with quote

Dear Multisimon,

Your first sentence doesn't read very well, but I think you're saying that Ferrari make reliable vehicles; and then some Italian things are better built than English or German.

Well firstly Ferrari do make pretty reliable race engines, but they're not alone in this. They may well make very fast race cars, no doubt greatly aided by a Mr. Shumacher, but this does not make them any more reliable than the next manufacturer which is after all what's being discussed here.

I think most things made in England is pretty average and often poor quality. I think the same of most Italian products I've bought or used. German products, on the whole, do tend to be better built, more reliable and generally last longer by way of comparison. Anyone who has owned an Audi or uses Bosch power tools for instance would most likely agree.

I love Italain's and everything Italian, their passion and enthusiasm is truly ensipiring and heartwarming. However I can't think of a single Italian product that is significantly better built and more reliable than that offered by a manufacturer in an alternative country. Can you? If you can please name one and I'll never be able to make this claim again.

My BMW R1200GS is being pre-delivered (01st Sept reg) to my home on Friday. For me personally, I think it';ll be the perfect bike and I'll keep it a long time. My brother however has ridden one and prefers to stick with his Multistrada as that better suits him. We're pleased for each other and don't feel any need to sway the other towards iour personal view or choice. We're all happy - and isn't that what life is all about?

Enjoy riding.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:08 am Reply with quote

About 5k miles on the MS.
Lovin’ it!
Traded RT1150 BMW for new GS1200 recently, and after 800 break in miles, I thought “this GS1200 is about as good as the MS”.
Then took the MS for a 400 mile ride on twisty back roads.
Much better handling on the MS. Plus, I miss not having the brake shudder on the GS.

In the end, (to me) it’s all about the experience of the engine(YMMV). That connectedness between your mind and the character and feel of the engine going down the road is the bottom line for me. Everything else disappears. Just your consciousness and the road and your intentions expressed thru the bike.
Based on that, no question, the Guzzi V11 Café Sport wins! MS close second, and GS1200 strong third.

Tony in Baton Rouge
dtsv650r

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:40 pm Reply with quote

I consider myself fortunate to own both, they are both wonderful machines. I've put 33000 mi/53000Km. on the GS Adv. which includes single track trails, gravel roads, city streets, interstate highways, and about 100 laps around a 2.3 mile road circut (handles suprisingly well), even tried a couple laps on a moto-cross track (OK that didnt work out so good). So far I've replaced a couple of bulbs! Thats it! I do all the maintinance myself - very easy! This bike is SLOW, but is so competant it makes up for its lack of power.
Now, for the DS1000. bought it in April and now has 4000 mi./6400 Km. and in this short amount of time I've come to love this thing, I know it's only a machine but none the less I love it! Sure it has some flaws (oil leaks, instrument panel, ground clearance) which are being addressed, but it never fails to make me SMILE! The CycleCat clip-ons are brillant, the Ohlins shock is very good, the Power Commander is an improvement, and as soon as the CycleCat rear-sets are available, that will cure the ground clearance issues!
This bike handles gravel roads fine, Interstates OK, twisties GREAT, roadrace tracks are a hoot but with the pegs, levers and pipe dragging not as much fun as it could be (CycleCat rear-sets will cure this).
The DS is my all-time favorite motorbike! The GS is a tool, a very good German tool and I will never part with it! The DS is SEXY and I will never part with it either! Their just different and should never be compared other than their both motorcycles.
My road race bikes are better on the track, but thats all they will ever be and are easily replaced, the GS and DS are more emotional, so save your money and by both!
Captain Scarlet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:04 am Reply with quote

dtsv650r, I think we're talking two different models here. I was fortunate enough to own the Multistrada and R1150GS too. However the 100% new R1200GS is a totally different bike.

It's now lost a massive 30 kilo and gained 15 bhp and more torque too. According to a Brit bike mag, which had the bikes datalogged, it outbraked an R1, FireBlade and Gixer thou from 100 mph to zero; and outbraked a Cagiva monster trailee by over 200 feet! It also came first in the agility tests they ran too.

The R1200GS version is far closer to the Multistrada (MS) now, except that it has a better power to weight ratio - 100 bhp and 85 lbft torque, 199 kilo. Ultimately the GS has more grip due to 17" hoops and decent rubber but the GS handles far better than the already decent old model and makes up some ground on the MS in terms of better weather protection and comfort etc.

It's not all about performance and comfort though, because the gearbox is now Suzuki slick and the engine now has a balancer shaft to smooth out nearly all the vibes - just leaving a few character engaging rumbles to remind you that you're on a boxer still.

you own two of the greatest all-rounders ever made in the 1150GS and MS; both stunning bikes. If you have the time though, go try the new 1200 version too - you might end up with even more nice toys in the garage to enjoy! Very Happy

Safe riding.