Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Test rode a MS today...impressions
bradj
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:59 am Reply with quote

I was lucky enough to test ride a 2004 Multistrada today and thought I would share my impressions with anyone that might be considering one.

The first thing I noticed was the throttle response...extremely sharp. I don't know if this is a characteristic of the bike or if there is a throttle linkage adjustment that could give it just a a little bit of lag. It seems like it would be very easy to screw up until one got adjusted to it.

The clutch...argh. Why is it so hard for bike manufacturers to incorporate an easy to operate clutch? I didn't notice any undo amount of noise in the transmission and the shifitng, both up and down, seemed very smooth, but I have been riding a Harley and a Buell so that's pretty relative, I suppose Wink

When I started the bike, I was surprised at how quiet it was. It was a pleasing note, though. I also noticed a significant amount of vibration in the seat...until I revved it some...it smoothed out nicely. As I was riding I noticed a great deal of vibration in the fairing/shield but I didn't seem to notice it in the handlebars. Once again, my previous experience with the Harley/Buell V-twins might be coloring my impression a bit.

I had sat on the bike previously and had wondered about the height and comfort of the seat. I'm 5'10" with a short inseam (30"). I can flat foot it, but there is hardly any bend left in my knees, so pushing it around in a parking lot or on an unstable surface could be a little dicey...another one of those issues that experience and skill can compensate for, I believe. The seat seemed more comfortable than I anticipated, but I didn't spend enough time om the bike to really evaluate it.

Some have mentioned the wind blast with the stock windscreen. I can confirm this as a possible issue. I stayed on city streets and my top speed was only 50 MPH +/- but it was a wind day...perhaps 20-30 MPH. I was getting pushed around quite a bit. I would think that a different windscreen would be necessary for any sort of highway cruising speeds.

I didn't get a chance to try out any twisties with it, but I could tell from playing around in town that the bike is very flickable and has plenty of available torque for that sort of riding.

I have read about the brake shudder issue, but didn't notice anything strange, but once again... I treaded very lightly. I am a relatively new rider and rather conservative. This was the first test ride I have ever been on and I wasn't familiar with the area in which I was riding.

My budget and interest led me to a Monster today, but the MS made a pretty good impression on me. I believe many of the issues I had with the bike can be compensated for either by an adjustment of technique or optional/aftermarket accessories.

Not a expert, nor motorcycle magazine writer, nor even a very experienced rider here....but I thought this might be of some help to anyone thinking about this bike and doing some research as I was.

Brad
Rockey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:56 pm Reply with quote

I have not long sold my GSX1400 and am considering the MS, when I say considering I really mean which colour Laughing i am not too worried about wind blast, it can't be any worse than the GSX and the throttle responce is what I would want, the GSX was much the same, I had mine fitted with a pair of Scorpions and the power commander and it was producing 104ftlbs torque on the dyno Shocked so I am looking forward to owning the Ducati which should be a little easier on the arms and a mite more flickable Mr. Green
John

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:43 am Reply with quote

Get the comfort screen with the spoiler, a good pair of cycle shorts, loads of WD40, know it does about 180 miles on a FULL tank (take your time to fill it) and enjoy the instant drive and great handling of a great fun bike. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Cool Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:42 pm Reply with quote

bradj wrote:

I had sat on the bike previously and had wondered about the height and comfort of the seat. I'm 5'10" with a short inseam (30"). I can flat foot it, but there is hardly any bend left in my knees, so pushing it around in a parking lot or on an unstable surface could be a little dicey...another one of those issues that experience and skill can compensate for, I believe. The seat seemed more comfortable than I anticipated, but I didn't spend enough time om the bike to really evaluate it.

Some have mentioned the wind blast with the stock windscreen. I can confirm this as a possible issue. I stayed on city streets and my top speed was only 50 MPH +/- but it was a wind day...perhaps 20-30 MPH. I was getting pushed around quite a bit. I would think that a different windscreen would be necessary for any sort of highway cruising speeds.

Brad

Hi Brad I only have a 28" inside leg and I have not had a problem YET. ( He says touching every bit of wood within reach)
The comfort screen with the lip is a great improvement

MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:33 pm Reply with quote

Hi there!
I did about 7000km with the original setup & screen (185cm ~6 feet and a few toes Laughing ).

Now I am using the comfort screen with the "lip". Just turned that handle on the right and my head started shaking from one side to the other beeing pushed by the wind!! I looked at the speedometer and WHOOPS: 190 km/h (118 mls?)...

Well below that speed it was quite comfortable.
My second best improvement on the bike so far, big recommendation!!!

hw
amullo
MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:45 am Reply with quote

Hi. First poost from a Ducatisti in Stockholm, Sweden.

I currently ride a 748SP with all the bells and whistles.

I also got to try a MTS last saturday on reallt twisty roads north of Stockholm. I put about 250K´´s on the meter in 4-5 hours and i had a blast! Guys that i normally have trouble keeping up with, where now having trouble keeping up with me.. And i wasn´t even pushing anything that hard.. Partially because it wasn´t my bike and also had i crashed the fine from the dealer was steep, over 1700USD or 1500 Euros.

Now a question. Becuase of the fact that i can´t afford 2 bikes, i´m thinking of trading my 748 for o MTS. But i love the trackdays the we have in sweden. I normally ride at least 10 trackdays a year and love putting my knee down.

I know that the MTS will not give the samt clearance when turning, compared to the 748. Nor will the engine take or give the same revs and rush of the 4-valve´s. I am however thinking of trading, because i had the most fun i ever had on a bike with the MTS.

Will the MTS give me a joy when riding it hard on the track? Is it possible to exchange whatever will be touching the ground when turning on a track?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:13 am Reply with quote

Amullo,

I think you already know my answer to your questions! Whistle
GO AND GET YOURSELF A MTS NOW!!
You know I kicked you and your 748SP's a** on the track last summer... Twisted Evil
Well, at least until I crashed my MTS... Embarassed

But seriously, if your statement is correct: "most fun i ever had on a bike".
I think that statment pretty much speaks for itself. Go get one now! Laughing

/PeGe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:51 pm Reply with quote

Tom H wrote:
Get the comfort screen with the spoiler, a good pair of cycle shorts, loads of WD40

Whats the WD40 for?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:12 am Reply with quote

Is it for lubricating your behind? Then I think there are better choices. Unless you enjoy a burning oil rash for your girlfriend to take care of.... Laughing