Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Need Urgent Advice on First Bike (read this to know why)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Should I go for the mts1100 as 1st bike
yes  
35%
  35%  (10)
No go for the 620  
28%
  28%  (8)
Take a Jap Beater  
35%
  35%  (10)
Total Votes : 28

kismat
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:54 pm Reply with quote

Rider Stats (me):
6'2 (188cm)
187lbs (85kg)
Experience: Local 2 Week Riding Course (Bajaj Pulsar)

The situation:
The local Ducati Dealer is offering me the 2007 MTS 1100 for: USD 12,150.25
(The mts 620 is going for USD 10,414.86)
The condition: I have to make up my mind within 12 hours.

Alternatives:
Jap. bikes
Or 2nd Hand

The question:
Should I go for it? (since its only a 2k difference)

My arguments:

Now I have read as many of the other threads as I could. Generally there seem to be a lot of people that say its the rider that counts, and the other part say get a cheap 600cc class beater.

I could see myself doing both, either get the beater or the mts 1100.

Generally Im a careful rider/driver, and not really interested in wheelies or any other bike stunts.

What I want to use the bike for:
(Country: kuwait)
Daily: Ride of a max 1 hour to from work/resort/group rides
Group Rides: these are almost weekly and can take up to 3 hours ride time
Once or twice a year: Ride from Kuwait to Oman/Dubai/Yemen
I will not take a passenger for at least a year or 2, I dont want to due to lack of experience, the passenger must have a death wish to ride with me, I would not survive the emotional stress should something happen.
(I force friends and passengers to wear the seatbelt in my car, else I boot em and they can walk)

But mostly get experience cause I want to rent/tour in Europe

What I dont want:
A shaky bike that will give me problems on the freeway
A bike that cannot keep up (within reason) in group rides (50% highways/50% city)

What I want:
A comfy bike for my size
Responsive
Safe as possible
A bike that enhances my learning process w/o getting me killed

A little bit about my character:
1.) I drive a 4 cylinder car (renault clio sport)
I wanted a sporty car, that had a little bit of everything
I use the speed to get out of nasty situations (Kuwait Traffic is horrible) Agility is very good.
2.) You cannot goad me into doing something im not sure of, if my group is too fast, and i feel my bike cant take any more (Bajaj Pulsar) I will keep my most comfortable speed, stop at the next safe point and wait for a call.

3.) I'm a safe Paintballer, Street Skater, Jet-Ski, Water-Ski

4.) I enjoy all sorts of music including Classical

(* I mention this to make it easier to judge my character *)

5.) I ordered Street Smarts I -> III (DVD)

6.) Im reading Proficient Motorcycling & More Proficient Motorcycling including 6 other books that cover maintenance, safe riding, and street survival techniques, currently reading the 1st item and enjoying it.

If you have any other questions Ill do my best to answer them, based on what I wrote here I'm very interested to hear your opinions.

If your going to vote Jap Beater, then could you suggest one (considering my size and weight)
Bohdan
MTS: 2007 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:51 pm Reply with quote

I have a friend that started riding recently, fits your description about character/temperament and safety consciousness. After 1 month on Buell Blast (his first bike) he bought ZRX1100 and dropped it in rain slick 2 weeks later. It will happen - you will drop the bike in first year or two. Happened to everyone I know (to me too), no matter how much caution you'll exercise. It is cheaper with jap beater.
I will vote for SV650 - will be good for first 2 years or longer. It will keep-up with your riding buddies and with your growing experience and skills.

MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:43 pm Reply with quote

Buy yourself a used smaller displacement bike (250-500cc).
Beat it, flog it, drop it and do all the other things that newbies do.
Then after a year or so get yourself your dream bike.

Buying a new MTS1100 will just bring you a world of pain (mentally, emotionally and possibly physically). I've been riding for 25 years and wouldn't recommend starting out any differently to anyone regardless of temperament, stature, musical taste, etc.

Good luck and have fun. Very Happy

Buy high, sell low.
selanne8
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:52 pm Reply with quote

you seem like a mellow person who would ride responsibly and not like a hooligan...i'd say you're mature enough for the mts 1100.

but you're also inexperienced, which means you're more likely to make rookie mistakes (forgetting to put down the kickstand, putting your foot down at slow speeds...).

if you can imagine and handle the idea of dropping your mts, then go for it...and buy some frame sliders/hand guards just in case Wink if you're worried about how much it's gonna cost to replace some panels or levers, get the beater.

it's an awesome bike. i rode my friend's sv-650 for the weekend and couldn't wait to jump back on the mts.
archkevinbrown
MTS: 2006 620 (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:45 pm Reply with quote

All other things being equal, I would have voted for the 620, but as you described the situation, you could either get a good deal on the 1100 or ripped off with the 620. Wouldn't suggest you get ripped off, so go with a beater for a year. Not necessarily because you'll beat it up, but because the 1100 is not a modest bike for a prudent person. Wink

'09 Suzuki DR650 Nameless 9/'10 - 5/'11
'08 Aprilia RSV Lara, aka Silver Lion 3/'10 - current
Dinola
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:01 pm Reply with quote

The 620 is my second bike, have had it for 200 miles. Very challenging to ride well. I'm glad its my second bike, not my first, I might have gotten discouraged.
Oh, yeah, I dropped my first bike and I know its not the last.
rpschmid
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:30 pm Reply with quote

Most newer riders will bang up a bike for awhile. Even at slow speeds, its a pain. If you get the 1100, plan on tipping it over on your car once, if you can handle that, buy it. Otherwise I would take the 600 jap for a few years...
VTMulti
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:28 am Reply with quote

I fit your profile (more or less) plus about 30 yrs. In the face of all the same comments to get a "beater" I bought a leftover 2005 1000DS in feb 06, took the MSF course, and am just clicking over 10,000 uneventful, but extremely rewarding miles. I felt that if I got a beater it would just not be reliable, and I could lose interest in the sport before I gave it a good chance. To date the opposite has happened.

However, I live in a rural area however and don't have to contend with much traffic, which is a big factor in one's early learning. That being said, I am a very defensive driver/rider in any conditions.

My only second thoughts on the 1000DS come when I read the talk about riding a smaller bike with more skill. I don't know. I have learned steadily and I do notice that I am more and more comfortable being somewhat more agressive. For example, I took my first extended (35 miles) superslab run last weekend coming back from Lake George, I averaged about 85 trailing a geezer in a Harley tourer in perfect conditions. That is as fast as I ever want to go. It was perfectly comfortable and serene, except I was concerned about getting a ticket. I noticed too that I rode a good deal faster than normal in the twistie run from I 87 to the Essex Ferry, but, again it felt very smooth, serene and comfortable. Regarding aggressive riding, I don't know what I don't know, but will take a track day in Oct to help me find out, and in the meantime will continue to practice at reasonable speeds and enjoy when there is a noticeable improvement in my ability.

And yes, I am aware that after all that I could drop my bike tomorrow, or get hit by a deer like that poor magazine columnist Larry Grodsky? who had hundreds of thousands of miles, but that is my responsibility.

I leave Sunday on a 2000+ mile trip to northeast Quebec.

RB
kismat
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:39 am Reply with quote

I woke up this morning read all the responses, and sent an sms to the dealer informing him of my decision not to buy the mts.

Thank you all for your time and advice, I have decided to go for the beater for the following reasons:

1.) If I wreck drop it, I wont worry about it
2.) It will allow me to gain some skill
3.) I can buy/sell w/o having to pay depreciation
4.) Its cheaper
5.) By the time I feel that Im ready for the MTS there will probably be a 2008 model out.
6.) Buying the MTS just didnt feel right
lotus54
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:51 am Reply with quote

I didn't vote, because I think I needed to explaing my thinking.

Money wise, you are better getting something like a Suzuki SV650 or even a 650 Vstrom. But you must be interested in the Ducati and will to pay the extra, or you wouldn't be here. I don't know how tight money is for you (and it isn't any of my business) but I can think of a few alternatives.
Oh yeah, I have absolutely no idea of the riding condtions where you are, including traffic.

1. Buy the Multi, but park it for a bit. Get a cheap dirt bike that is street legal. Spend a month or so on it- putting in as much time as possible riding it. Nothing like riding in the dirt to teach you to ride. Plus get a fairly small bike, so you can toss it around, dump it, pick it up- generally learn to push the bike and handle it when it slides, wheels lock etc.
Only after that start riding the Mulit, being careful where you ride it at first so you can get some time on the bike with no traffic worries. I do 'panic stops' on a regular basis on deserted roads, especially in the spring after not much winter riding. Get to know what the bike will do.

2. Bag the Multi for now- pick up something like the aformentioned Suzuki and ride it for a year or two. I don't think you'll have any problems keeping up or riding on the hiway from what I've heard of it.
I'd still try and pick up a cheap dirt bike first.

After you get some time in, then perhaps pick up a used Multi later.

You come across as a person that will be careful but understand things happen sometimes. I wouldn't want something to happen to you in traffic, thats why I recommend all the dirt bike stuff.
I figure people are TRYING to hit me when I'm on the bike.

Does that make sense to you?

Mark

Beta XTrainer 300
dandrewk
MTS: 2006 620 Dark (Flat black)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:43 am Reply with quote

Here's my spin:

Anybody who goes on any motorcycle forum and asks if so-and-so bike is alright for a beginner... is the type of person who can probably ride just about any bike as a first bike. It's the ones who don't ask that are most likely to wreck their bikes and/or become organ donors.

Yes, you may drop it. But the great thing about Multistradas is their lack of full fairing. If you put a frame slider on it, damage from dropping it will be minimal.

Any bike... every bike... has a learning curve, even for the most experienced riders. Everybody takes it slow and cautious at first. Get to know the bike, how it feels, how it responds, how it handles curves, how it accelerates, shifts and stops. Take long rides and slowly push the envelope. With practice comes skill, with skill comes confidence. Soon you will be screaming along sweepers at 45 degrees.

IMHO, you can learn on any bike, whether it's a beat up Rebel or a Hayabusa. The fact that you are asking these questions qualifies you for either.
Scrambles
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:57 am Reply with quote

What everybody else said.

MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:41 pm Reply with quote

Well it seems there were more votes for a Multistrada than not, what did you do?!
kismat
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:15 am Reply with quote

MTSJeff wrote:
Well it seems there were more votes for a Multistrada than not, what did you do?!

That is true, however I read all the other "1st Bike" posts, and also factored in their responses. One of the things I have to consider is, that I might decide within a year that biking is just not for me. So with all said and done, perhaps a 2nd hand bike is not such a bad idea after all.

I haven't done anything yet, since Im looking for 2nd hand bikes. Ill keep you guys posted anyways. In the mean time Ill read my books, and look for a bike.
addysdaddy
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:21 am Reply with quote

Bohdan wrote:
I have a friend that started riding recently, fits your description about character/temperament and safety consciousness. After 1 month on Buell Blast (his first bike) he bought ZRX1100 and dropped it in rain slick 2 weeks later. It will happen - you will drop the bike in first year or two. Happened to everyone I know (to me too), no matter how much caution you'll exercise. It is cheaper with jap beater.
I will vote for SV650 - will be good for first 2 years or longer. It will keep-up with your riding buddies and with your growing experience and skills.

My exact feelings and how I started. I kept the SV650 for about 2 mos (put almost 3k miles on her) and then found a used MTS 1000s. In all aspects of riding, the SV650 was a much better bike to learn on. Think of it as a long term rental. Better to be safe then sorry.