Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: can the MS replace my trusted 93 900SS ?
yidal8
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:04 pm Reply with quote

Well , with 34,000 miles on her , I am starting to think of a worthy replacement . I would have gone the superbike route , but it is getting harder to enjouy these with all the traffic here on Long Island , and also they are no fun on the parkways , I don't think . The SS is an excelent compromise of sportiness , relative comfort , easy to handle , reliability , fun , good looks ( classic Ducati looks )
How is the MS compares as a long term friend? I am 50 , 5ft.8in tall , 155 lbs.
Main area of concern , taking my riding style into consideration :
1) handling in the twisties . flicking side to side .
2) handling in the straight-hiways- comfort , wind protection
2) Level of physical strain after putting 250 miles in the saddle . I have the corbin seat on my SS , which let me enjoy it up to about 250 miles.
3) wind protection of legs , upper body .
4) Handling the fast long sweepers - (90-110 MPH level on my SS)
5) Brakes .
6) engine response , power , acceleration ,
7) reliability . the SS has been very good to me , as was the 1990 750 Sport before it ( 29000miles on her , another great bike). Both quite reliable .
Cool can you live with this bike long term ?
blackrhino
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:12 am Reply with quote

1. Twisties - You will be initially concerned about the MS's ability due to it's height (and looks) though you will quickly be grinning in the twisties. The bike is true to test reports that it is a blast in any turns. Ground clearance is an issue for some "advanced” riders, it is not for most.

2. Comfort/Wind - The ergonomics are very comfortable, very upright, it took a while for me to get use to my feet being so underneath me, though I feel very comfortable now. My guess is that the wind will be your biggest concern. For a minimal fairing it does a decent job though it is no VFR. The new 2005 MS screen or the comfort screen with lip appears to improve wind protection somewhat, your legs fit in the tank recess for decent protection (again do not compare this to a VFR, FJR, etc...) Since your not a 6'4" rider, the MS may be very good for you with, especially with a different windscreen than the 2004 (then it would probably hit you perfectly in the top of the helmet.

2b. Seat - You should probable plan on spending some cash on a corbin or sargent seat (some love the DP comfort seat by Ducati) as the stock seats have not be great for most on 100 plus miles including myself. I will be getting the sargent for Christmas, the Corbin may be more comfortable though I am compromising for the looks of the sargent (both websites have photos as well as in this sites photo section). 250 should be good with a seat upgrade.

3. See 2a

4. Sweepers - I love them on this bike (even though my Ninja days are long gone).

5. Brakes - The 2004 brakes are very very good for the price of this bike, with two 320mm semi-floating discs, four-piston calipers in the front. Some have experienced some brake shudder, it is not be a problem for me.

6. Engine - It is the best used (84hp or 92hp depending on were you measure) that I have experienced. I did not think I would be buying this bike because of the engine power until I rode it, it feels strong with excellent torque with a smooth gearbox. You will probably love it compared the 900SS engine. I am not wishing for anymore power, it has strong acceleration (not like a Japanese liter superbike of course), with the power right there all the time (many including myself switched to the 14 tooth sprocket and I really like the results), and it does not throttle wheelies in 1st and 2nd gear if you care about that. Very Happy

7. Reliability - Appears good so far, the jury is still out, I have had zero problems at this time (only 10 months).

If I give this bike up in the next 4 years, it will not be because I want to replace it, it would be for other reasons and none of them good. Confused

Not mentioned about the MS, it is fairly lightweight and feels very light (441), even though it is tall (33.5) it is narrow which makes the height not as much of a factor, the suspension and travel are superior with 43mm inverted Showa, fully adjustable, 6.5 in. travel up front and adjustable Showa monoshock; hydraulic remote pre-load control, 5.6 in. travel in the rear. A great commuter that is a sweet canyon bike and decent sport touring capabilities.

The other riders on this site are equipped with phenomenal knowledge and expereince and will be able to give a much more indepth explanation (This site and it’s members are another bonus for owning an MS, they have helped me out many times Smile ).
dartfrog
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:47 pm Reply with quote

How is the MS compares as a long term friend? I am 50 , 5ft.8in tall , 155 lbs. *recommend you option for the shorter rear link to get the ride height down a little*
Main area of concern , taking my riding style into consideration :
1) handling in the twisties . flicking side to side . *you will be grinning from ear to ear*
2) handling in the straight-hiways- comfort , wind protection *no complaints from me*
2) Level of physical strain after putting 250 miles in the saddle . I have the corbin seat on my SS , which let me enjoy it up to about 250 miles.
*you may be stopping for fuel just under that mark*
3) wind protection of legs , upper body . *no complaints from me*

4) Handling the fast long sweepers - (90-110 MPH level on my SS) * see #1*
5) Brakes . * ohh really good!!*
6) engine response , power , acceleration , * see #1*

7) reliability . the SS has been very good to me , as was the 1990 750 Sport before it ( 29000miles on her , another great bike). Both quite reliable . * only 500 miles so far, call me in a few years*
can you live with this bike long term ? * definetly*
Laughing

Oh and something i experience all the time, is the "what is it?" or "nice bike" factor when stopped for fuel, etc. I always grin when the "Hardley Movers" just stare and scratch there heads. So it has an underlying entertainment factor Cool

ian916
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:40 pm Reply with quote

yidal8, I had a 95 900 Superlight which as you know doubt know is the same bike with a single seat.

The engines whilst being of the same family feel very different, - the SS engine feels heavy compared to the 1000DS, - it is also less refined and to me noisier, part of that was the fairing of an SS throws up every sound from that engine. The 1000Ds is a modern engine, it is Ducati's newest engine design and is a lot better imo. Engine response is much better, and as standard is still muffled so can only get better.

As for handling? Well the SS is harsh; they bang off of bumps, the MS is smooth, the MS flicks left, right better than any Ducati that I have ever ridden but it is not as stable on long sweepers and an SS. A "track" I have ridden on both has a long uphill left hand sweeper that we would take at 100mph plus on the SS/916, these bikes just sit there rock solid, however the MS will start to move around a bit at 80mph plus, nothing too bad as the frame is till very rigid but by 95mph I was digging my knees in and thought this is enough lets not open up anymore. Part of this I think may be the block pattern of standard tyres and those blocks wandering, part is also long travel softish springs. I intend to fit some progressive hyper-pro springs this winter. I also think a steering damper would help. However the upside of this is a very quick turning Ducati, I often ride with other Ducati's, normally behind a 998R. I can keep with him on country lanes until we get to the long straights but I am quicker through twisty, bumpy roads, - when behind him I can go into a bend deeper and come out on a tighter line.

Wind protection is not good, it is a cold bike to ride and gets dirty easily.

It is a different ride to your SS, but you will not be disappointed, well perhaps you will with the sound and it will feel like your feet are way to far forward. I know people who have gone numpty from 999's, Monster S4's, 916's and all of them have loved it.

If you have come from a pre 98 Ducati and you have no reliability issues you should not have a problem with a new one, - I think there are some Friday afternoon bikes out there, - buy new and buy from newly built stock would be my advice.