Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Yellow '06 620 ... thinking about it
Alpo
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:37 pm Reply with quote

Really liked the Multi from the first time I sat on one at the International Cycle show a few years ago, and now that the 620 has been discontinued, I feel like my days are numbered as to being able to get a new or low mileage yellow one, which to me is the only color that interests me. So searching the classifieds, what do I discover but one at a very local dealer. Here's what I know;
'06 620 Yellow
780 miles
All stock
No accesories, DP or otherwise
Service history unknown
Rides and runs fine, (although the clutch plates were stuck when I first started it for a test ride, gulp!)
Has a couple of small nicks in the paint where the upper and lower fairing meet, (just to the right and below the headlight), that could probably be touched up. Looks like something was whacked into it while it was parked as opposed to something that happened while riding as there are other tell tale signs of a tip-over or such.
Apparently traded in for a new Triumph of unspecified model as supposedly the PO's wife did not like riding pillion on the 'Strada.
$6499.00 +tax and title.
I don't really need this bike, I've got a Moto Guzzi Sport 1100, Moto Guzzi Jackal customized into a cafe' racer, Honda CB-1, Honda Transalp, and an RZ 350, and that's just the bikes that currently run. But I like the Multi and would like to get the one I want, (yellow) as clean as possible. I think I've found a good deal. I'm familiar with Italian machines, but have never owned a Ducati.
Comments?
archkevinbrown
MTS: 2006 620 (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:10 pm Reply with quote

If you want a 620 in original yellow, I doubt you'll find one with fewer miles. And since yellow was only available briefly at the very beginning, it's quite possible the one you saw has been sitting around unridden since the fall of '05.
Since service history is unknown, even if the wrench light isn't on, I'd ask them to include the 600 mile break-in service in their prep.

If you do get it, I'd like to hear how you think it compares to your Transalp. That was one of the bikes I considered renting in Italy if I'd been able to make the trip.

'09 Suzuki DR650 Nameless 9/'10 - 5/'11
'08 Aprilia RSV Lara, aka Silver Lion 3/'10 - current
Railroad Bob
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:19 pm Reply with quote

I'm, er, somewhat biased Smile but I think the yellow 620 would make a great stablemate for the other bikes in your garage. In fact, you may find yourself choosing it over the others more than you might imagine...as to price, sounds like it's "in range" but since it's used, you might have some wiggle room with the dealer. Especially if you are putting cash on his table. Remember that new 620s, if you find them, seem to have some deep discounts already applied, so this reasoning should apply to the slightly used yellow one you have found. I don't think anyone at this Board will tell you not to buy it. Yellows are rare, too. It's an '05, right? Ask for the 600 mile service thrown in (like kevin just said above.) It'll go great with the Guzzis. Exclamation

2013 Griso SE "Diavolo Nero" Totally different kind of ride, but still ITALIAN.
doctor bob
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:28 pm Reply with quote

I agree with archkevinbrown and Railroad Bob on having the 600-mile service done at the dealer's expense. Also, since this is a bike you want and not need ( Shocked), negotiating on the price a bit might make sense.

And I assume you meant that there are NO signs of a tip-over or other mishap?

Did you say it's yellow? Dance

'03 Giallo Multistrada 1000DS
kbalch
MTS: 2013 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:37 pm Reply with quote

I just spotted a yellow 620 sitting in the lot at BMW of Orlando. They took it as a trade-in a few days ago and I'm sure they'll want to move it. Even if it's not right for you (price, mileage, etc.), it might be worth a phone call to get the details, if only to assist in the negotiations with your local dealer.

Ken
Alpo
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:05 pm Reply with quote

kbalch wrote:
I just spotted a yellow 620 sitting in the lot at BMW of Orlando. They took it as a trade-in a few days ago and I'm sure they'll want to move it. Even if it's not right for you (price, mileage, etc.), it might be worth a phone call to get the details, if only to assist in the negotiations with your local dealer.

Ken

I did see this one advertised, in fact they have it listed on eBay currently. I've considered this one too as my folks retired to Flaggler Beach several years ago, so I could have a landing pad while checking it out. I thought about flying down, picking it up and riding back to Ohio, then came across the one here locally. The Ohio dealer has already knocked off $500 for me from what they were asking originally, so not sure if they will come down more, but I like the idea of getting it serviced in the deal. Thanks for the thought! I'm actually down to riding the Guzzi cafe' bike right now because I've ridden both the Transalp, and now the CB-1 to the point of needing oil changes. (75 miles round trip to work and back, and I commute rain or shine during the warm months on a bike). I do almost all my own work, but it is hard to find the time with the ridiculous amount of stupid overtime I've been putting in lately. On the bright side, that's given me the extra cash to swing a nice down payment AND a big green light from the wife though. I think I'll go take it for another ride, look at the fairing more closely, and talk about a free service. I should mention that this dealer recently severed ties with Ducati, but will still do *some* service work. Sounds like Ducati took back their ECU interface, but the shop still has a certified tech and a large selection of valve shims.

Oh yeah, and I did mean to say *NO* other signs of a tip-over!
Alpo
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:07 am Reply with quote

archkevinbrown wrote:

Since service history is unknown, even if the wrench light isn't on, I'd ask them to include the 600 mile break-in service in their prep.

If you do get it, I'd like to hear how you think it compares to your Transalp. That was one of the bikes I considered renting in Italy if I'd been able to make the trip.

Anyone know exactly what the "official" break-in service covers? Seems like it is just an oil change and once-over.

Transalp is a great bike, but mine is 17 years old, 34,000 miles. Biggest flaw is the totally useless rear brake, (weak drum), and marginal front brake.
archkevinbrown
MTS: 2006 620 (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:20 pm Reply with quote

Alpo wrote:

Anyone know exactly what the "official" break-in service covers?

See this thread
http://www.multistrada.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6665

'09 Suzuki DR650 Nameless 9/'10 - 5/'11
'08 Aprilia RSV Lara, aka Silver Lion 3/'10 - current
Dinola

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:12 pm Reply with quote

http://www.ferracci.com/bike.php?bid=208

Generally, their prices seem high despite this bike having some performance extra's.
It's been listed for 6 months or more.
Pecan7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:40 pm Reply with quote

Don't worry too much about the stuck clutch plates. My 620 does that occasionally also, even after sitting for one day or less. My dealer just told me to rev it to about 3000 before I put it from neutral into first gear, to get the clutch plates spinning enough to separate them. Since I've been doing that the plates have not stuck.
Alpo
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:51 pm Reply with quote

OK, so I went back for a second look at the 620 and to talk business. Here's what I came up with;
Frame date = 05/2005, so it is indeed an '05.
In service date = 7/2006, so there is one year remaining on the factory warranty, and explains why the bike is registered as an '06.
600 mile service has been done.
Soooooo, I went for it. I've now got a beautiful yellow Multi parked in the garage, my first Ducati! Muchas Gracias to all here for the sage advice and I look forward to future conversations. I've all ready got some questions forming...

Last edited by Alpo on Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dinola

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:28 am Reply with quote

Congrats man... you're gonna love this..
colin martin
MTS: 2005 620 (Yellow)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:39 am Reply with quote

Hi. I hope that you enjoy your Multi. As the bike is a used model I'd advise you to get the valve clearances checked by a local independent workshop of good repute (if you have one near you) or check them yourself if you are good with mechanical skills.
I once bought a Ducati with a genuine, verified, less than 5000 miles on the clock and all the opening valve clearances were tight and this had destroyed the chrome on the followers.
I think it is always worth checking clearances, even on a new bike.

Good luck.
rbruce63
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:01 pm Reply with quote

Ken:

I saw the yellow 06 Multi 620 at the BMW Orlando lot. The decided owner bought it for $6,500 plus dealer expense, plates, etc. I tried to get it, but the crating and freight to the Port of Limón, Costa Rica put it at $1,500 more plus import duties, another $1,600 over all.

What else do I need to know about negotiating a used motorbike at a dealer?

Regards,

RBruce63