Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Buying advice please
ajr
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:36 pm Reply with quote

Hi
I've been watching the site for a couple of months now - it's excellent,and I'm closing in on a Multi.
At the moment I ride an ST4s which is brilliant but due to a back injury, even this 'sports tourer' is now too hunched for me. I don't want to sacrifice handling and the test ride I had on the Multi proves that this is definately the bike I need (want) as it was great fun and very comfortable.
Anyway, here's the question, my local Ducati dealer has an 03 with only 1400 miles on the clock with termis, comfort seat, screen and panniers, topbox (all OE), rear carbon hugger , centre stand and spyball alarm for £7,500.
Obviously it will depend on the px value of the ST which I will need to negotiate, but what is the expert view on the package/price? I realise that non-UK members may not be able to comment on the price.
Incidentally all the extras, I would have bought anyway as touring gear is essential.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Andy
el_hoppy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:29 pm Reply with quote

Andy,

If the bike was for sale in Sweden for that price, then it would be a pretty good deal with all of those extras.

Do check to see if the speedo has been replace to ensure that the milage shown is correct.

I came from a ST2 and was finding that I was getting a sore back even on short commutes to work. With the MTS I've being able to do 1000km days without a problem. So it should be just what the doctor ordered.
Martin Fernlund

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:09 am Reply with quote

I also came from an ST2 and the riding position on the MTS is better in my opinion for the back. However, when changing bikes and then riding positions you need to get used to the new position. I needed some time to get used to the MTS, my shoulders hurt me for a while but not anymore.

I think the ST2 riding position was better when you have a passenger behind you. On the multi my girlfriend tends to rest her helmet on my shoulder alot more because of the more upright position.
overipe+keen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:23 am Reply with quote

I've noticed some Multi's going for just above the £5 grand price of late in Motor Cycle News. I know this bike your looking at is covered with extras but try and work the price backwards in case it is to much money. Just a thought as the bike sales market has become very soft this year so dont get burned!!
Think

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:59 pm Reply with quote

I have back problems, but this isn't why I switched to a Multi. I have long legs and the crouched position on my Aprilia Falco was killing my knees on any ride over 1 hour.

Unfortunately, what I find, is the Multi makes my back hurt more. The upright position actually puts more pressure on your lower back. On longer rides I have a back protector that also helps to give me back support.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:55 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments guys, I'm going to keep looking for a week or two. If the bike goes so be it. It may be enjoyable to buy it 'naked' and build the extras gradually myself. There are some good buys around privately which may mean I'll have to sell my ST4s privately as well, trouble is this is not a good time of year to be selling.
grizz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:27 pm Reply with quote

ajr wrote:
termis, comfort seat, screen and panniers, topbox (all OE),

Those are all items I have on order for my Multi. It's been 3 weeks, now... I wish I could have bought a Multi with those items already in place.
Rod

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:46 pm Reply with quote

Have you seen the bikes for sale on this Forum under MARKETPLACE
Billy Bigwheels

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:54 pm Reply with quote

Paid £7200 for a brand new off the production line 04 model. Even had the comfort seat & carbon hugger thrown into the deal.

I drive/ride a very hard deal it seems??
ajr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:17 pm Reply with quote

An update on my 'buying' saga, I decided (or so I thought) to trade in my ST4s for the MTS at the weekend so I visited my 2 nearest Ducati dealers to try to do the deal.
First the good news - One of the dealers has a new (pre-updates) red model at £6500, whilst the other had a grey model, my preference for £7,100.
Now the bad news - the first dealer wasn't taking P/X and the other offered £3,750 for my bike! About £1,000 lower than my worst estimate and well below the lowest asking price in MCN never mind dealers.
I guess the only option is to advertise privately and hope I can sell so I can buy the MTS cash but as I said on an earlier thread, bad time of year, I should wait until Spring ...... trouble is patience isn't one of my strengths.
Any bright ideas out there?
chris92

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:33 pm Reply with quote

Hi ajr

You quote in pounds so i guess you are in uk Confused
I was over Hughendonm40 at the weekend mainly triumph dealer (I bought my previous Daytona from there) and he has a Silver one really cheap and it looks in good nick. He used to work in a ducati dealer so is not frightened of dukes. Maybe give him a shout and feel him out on a deal, when we spoke he could not believe no-one had called about the mts

They have a web site and the dealer is near Thame Oxford so if you cannot get straight to the site (due to my bad spelling) go thro Triumph .co.uk and look for him that way.

Just an idea

Best of luck
Chris
ajr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:36 pm Reply with quote

Chris
Thanks for the tip, I rang Hughenden and they've quoted £5,500 for their 02 MTS with hand guards, screen and hugger but only £4000 for mine. The MTS has done 8,000+ miles and its last service was carried out at 6500miles I'm not too keen on the mileage so I'm on the lookout for a new model.
Andy
chris92

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:15 pm Reply with quote

worth a try Very Happy
Best of luck grtting the deal you need, you won't regret it Very Happy

Chris