Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Multistrada 05 vs 04
vecchio
MTS: 2006 620 Dark (Flat black)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:05 pm Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I've been enjoying this board very much.

My wife and I are just getting back into riding after several years off and have been doing the research with our conclusion being that the Multi is for us( one for each.) Considering a new 620 for her and 1000 for myself, but may both go with two 1000's.

I would appreciate some input on whether the changes made to the 05 Multi 1000 is worth the additional cost or would a new low mileage 04, possibly already upgraded by the current owner be a better option. Also any opinions on the new Multi 620 vs the 1000 ?

Thanks
fmechini
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:16 pm Reply with quote

HI-

the 1000DS is not a small bike. I am 5'-11" and I wish I was 6'-1" ... I can't talk for the 620 but It may/could be more appropriate for a woman for somebody not as tall. In any case the MTS is a wonderful bike.

Fred

2005 Red Ducati Multistrada "la signorina"
2003 Blue Suzuki DR650 "il muletto"
NovaCoder
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:02 pm Reply with quote

As far as I can tell the 05 1000 is basically the 04 with DP to fix a few of the issues (mirrors, seat, side-stand & screen). I'm not sure but I think the electronics might have also been updated for 05 to be a single unit.

The 1000 'S' model is the same but with better suspension and some carbon bits.

The 620 is a bit different with it's own frame, engine, suspension (off the old SS/Monster) etc etc.

Give me a -> MULTISTRADA 1000 S DS Smile
Billy Bigwheels

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:00 am Reply with quote

Ditto NovaCoder

Looking at around 350.00 GBP dealer price (supply - not fitted) for all the the parts mentioned, cheaper from spareshack.com. You may even be able to get some money back on EBay for the originals if you're lucky.
Guess that the difference in the price of the bikes will be more than that @ the dealers & you could probably negotiate some of the parts into the deal - buyers time of year and all that....

Personally (apart from the mirrors) the other issues don't bother me. Note though that Ducati had a bad batch of engine cases for the DS engines which afflicted Monster 1000's aswell - shown by large chunks of paint literally falling off, starting at the hard end, sump etc. Should only be on a few of the very early MTS's though if at all so look out for that.

Oh, smart choice of bike by the way Cool
Hans Wurst
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:06 pm Reply with quote

Billy Bigwheels wrote:
Note though that Ducati had a bad batch of engine cases for the DS engines which afflicted Monster 1000's aswell - shown by large chunks of paint literally falling off, starting at the hard end, sump etc. Should only be on a few of the very early MTS's though if at all so look out for that.

Hello Mr. Bigwheels!

where do you have that from? Any reliable sources I could use argueing with ducati about warrenty claims?

mille gracie,
GS
Mark

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:34 pm Reply with quote

My MTS 1000 is one of the first and indeed, the paint on the engine at the bottom front is not very good.....

But I'll choose my early 1000DS over the new 620 every day of the week& twice on sunday!

The 620 runs pretty ok, it performs just under a (let say) Suzuki SV650, but lacks the big bottom power of the 1000DS
Go for the torque!
vecchio
MTS: 2006 620 Dark (Flat black)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:06 pm Reply with quote

THANKS to all of you who have posted comments.
I appreciate your input and suggestions and will continue to monitor this subject for any more input from those of you have owned Multistradas.

I would also be interested in any opinions on buying dealer demos, especially considering the importance of proper breakin.

Thanks again to all.
Billy Bigwheels

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:23 pm Reply with quote

Sorry about the thread hijack but it seems i've opened a can of worms. Check out www.ukmonster.co.uk as quite a few people had the problem and the majority, myself included, had it sorted under warranty. In the UK they went about replacing the whole engine covers but then resorted to a strip & respray. All credit to Ducati UK for putting their hand in the air and in their pocket I say........

Search under 'flakey (or flaky) engine paint. I think you'll also find reference to it on the Ducati Sporting Club site www.ducatisportingclub.com

Good Luck
fiirestorm
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:03 pm Reply with quote

hi fred,
i'm 5' 9" or 1.75m and have no problems at all with riding the bike. I have other issues with it, but not height-wise.

Staying on the same subject, I couldn't touch the ground on a Yamaha Fazer 1000, about 2" too short. I find the MTS and R1150GS (on lowest seat setting) no problems at all.
fmechini
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:27 pm Reply with quote

did I mentioned that I have short legs? Very Happy

2005 Red Ducati Multistrada "la signorina"
2003 Blue Suzuki DR650 "il muletto"
xlcafe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:54 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
I would also be interested in any opinions on buying dealer demos, especially considering the importance of proper breakin.

I got me a dealer demo. It had the 600mile service already done and I got the full 2 year warranty. So far I have had no problems and the bike seems to be well sorted and running perfectly.
I have only had it for about 2.5 weeks and only have put 700 miles on it, but in my case, it seems to have been a great deal. Cool

Now if I could only get rid of this work thing... Think

Mike S.