Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Questions about everything on MTS
Goto page Previous  1, 2
bigballin
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:34 pm Reply with quote

im saying the money issue only because of the fact that i found a few people selling 1000 for not much more than the 620, cause all the ones that are 620 that im finding are like 6,500 (dark) but i can find 6900 for a black 1000ds so im asking questions about the questions of if the bigger engine is better to get or not, especially cause of my learning curve.

on top of that how much do you guys pay for insurance on your bikes (if you're willing to tell) what companies would you recommend? you guys can generalize the price range. just want to know.
aminul
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:02 pm Reply with quote

I rode a Buell Blast for a season before I got a Ducati Monster (620 Dark) at the start of last season. (yes, up in Canada we have riding seasons) After two years of the Monster I'm looking at getting a 620 Multi.

My suggestion for a beginner bike would be the same as what has already been said -- go with something smaller/cheaper for the first little while. If you pick something up second hand you should be able to sell it for almost what you paid for it after a year of riding. I dropped my Blast after 2 days and it just bounced right up with little damage. A Multi (or my Monster) wouldn't have been so lucky. If you do go with the Multi, I'd say stick with the 620.

With regards to the maintenance, don't be scared. There are plenty of resources to fix/mod what needs to be done. I'm mechanically inept and I've changed my oil, spark plugs, chain/sprockets, timing belts and clutch slave cylinder. AFAIK, the 620 in the Multi is the same as the Monster.

Good luck, and AYGATT!
selanne8
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote

no one else has mentioned it, so i'll mention it - plan to spend about $700 to $1000 in riding gear...a good helmet that fits you, a quality jacket and pants that you feel comfortable wearing and a good set of gloves and boots.

you might feel silly wearing the gear at first, but if you happen to go down, which happens to a lot of people who are just starting out, you'll wish you were suited up like voltron. quality gear is always cheaper than an emergency room visit Wink

my opinion on starting out is to maybe get a 150cc scooter. i started out on a 200cc scooter which was plenty fast for a first "bike". i then moved up to a 620 without any problems. you might even want to keep the scooter as your errand bike with the high gas prices.

john
legs748
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote

Don't you guys think it's a bit fatalistic saying that you WILL drop your first bike? Surely if you go out thinking "i'm going to crash" then there is a seriously hightened possibility that you will. I never dropped or even scratched my first bike when i was a noob rider, cause i loved it that much so i was SO careful.

I did, however, total it into the side of a car that pulled out on me, but that was two years and 16k miles later, so not a newbie lack of confidence thing.

It was working when i left it........