Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Monster or MTS?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
servicerifle
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:35 pm Reply with quote

Hello folks, I'm new here and had a question for you all. On the basis of twisty-strafing only, and only looking at the Ducati Monster or Mutistrada line, which would you choose? Use the S2R1000 or S4RS for the Monster side and the MT 1100 S for the Multi side...

I'm kinda shopping for a second bike (currently I have a Triumph Sprint 1050) and I'd like something quite different, for fun.

TIA!
Steve B
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:44 pm Reply with quote

Neither, get the Hypermotard for something different. You've already got the sport tourer, and although I love my 1100S, the Hypermotard would be better for pure twisty riding than either the MTS or Monster.
eviltwin
MTS: 2007 1100S (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:45 pm Reply with quote

I've owned/ridden many multis and monsters and you can't go wrong with either. For me, the multi inspires more confidence in corners than the monster. I can also go much longer distances on the multi, although the monster is quite comfortable. Monster is a bit easier to service, etc. if that's a factor. Keep in mind componentry when considering either as the Ohlins are amazing. For twisties, riding style may make the biggest difference for you. If you push/ride the front, go monster. More dirt track, go multi. 2 cents.

07 MTS1100S
07 Team USA 999S
servicerifle
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:47 pm Reply with quote

Dang Steve B, I forgot to mention something that puts ALL the Supermoto's right out.

I a short mofo. The MTS will be pushing it, but I can do it.

If the Monster isn't great for twisties, what IS it for? (serious question).
Steve B
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:52 pm Reply with quote

servicerifle wrote:
Dang Steve B, I forgot to mention something that puts ALL the Supermoto's right out.

I a short mofo. The MTS will be pushing it, but I can do it.

If the Monster isn't great for twisties, what IS it for? (serious question).

I've never been all that comfortable riding a Monster. I'm average height, 5' 10", but always felt cramped on one. I love their look and concept though. A Monster is more of a short hop bike than the MTS. The MTS is much quicker turning than a Monster IMO, and more versatile.

As far as you being too short for a Hypermotard, it's a lower, smaller bike than the MTS. If you could make the MTS work, the HM should. I'm eager to throw a leg over one for a ride when they have demo days at the dealers the end of June.

We all have different priorities, just thought I'd throw the HM out there as an option. Either the Monster or MTS would be different enough from your Sprint that you'd enjoy it. Let us know what you do.
AirborneDucati
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:57 pm Reply with quote

Steve B wrote:

I've never been all that comfortable riding a Monster. I'm average height, 5' 10", but always felt cramped on one. I love their look and concept though. A Monster is more of a short hop bike than the MTS. The MTS is much quicker turning than a Monster IMO, and more versatile.

Agreed. At 6'2" I simply can't ride a Monster (and I did ride the S4RS - that Testastretta motor is a BEAST - wish it came in the MTS).

It comes down to you riding one and buying the one that fits you best.
servicerifle
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:01 pm Reply with quote

Honestly, the Monster fits me like a glove, no joke. I must have taken 3 or 4 test rides on them thus far, and close to pulling the trigger, but having second thoughts. Now you say the HM is shorter, that makes it worse! Laughing

Add to this that Triumph MAY come out with a 675 Tiger Cub this year, and a 675 "Street Triple" and if that Tiger Cub is shorter than the 1050 Tiger, my dilemma is completely confounded.

Getting back to Ducati, the Monster DOES fit very well, but I haven't had the opportunity to wring one out in the twisties...you can't do that on test rides. So, all I can do is go on other's comments. If the Monster's sluggish in curves, I don't want it.

Now to look at the HM specs...sigh...
servicerifle
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:21 pm Reply with quote

Dude! It IS shorter than a Multi! I test rode a KTM Super Duke and I could own it, but it sure was tall...this HM could fit! When are they coming out?!
jwible
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:53 pm Reply with quote

SR, go for the Multi, but just beware that parts issues may keep you from the ESTN meet....

I'm taking the Keith Code 2 day camp this week at Barber and should be able to offer a pretty good opinion on the curvy merits of the multi after the class and after I get it back.

Jed
stradavarious
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:19 pm Reply with quote

Guys,

Double check that seat height measurement. As I understand it they are the same...

From another short mofo.

PS I installed a lowering link and dropped the forks a bit to make the Multi a closer fit

Stradavarious
stradavarious
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:37 pm Reply with quote

Time to 'fess up. I double checked, and I am wrong. The Hyper seat height is .2 inches lower.

Stradavarious
llswift
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:06 pm Reply with quote

You can't go wrong with a Ducati. I don't know you riding style but for me it is an 06 Multi S. What I did with the 06 Multi S and an 07 S2R 800 was to take it to Kent at GMD Computrack Atlanta. I said I want them on rails. No heading into the corner and the bike heading for the weeds regardless of pace. His suspension wisdom brought the Ducati magic to life. If you find me behind you I don't care what you ride including 999 or 1098 or any of the Jap bikes in the twisties I will be all over you. Yes you may be faster in the straight but on the suspension tuned Duc's I am very very quick.

Buy it and contact Kent. You will not be able to take the grin off your face.
Quick riding,
Larry
sailwa66
MTS: 2004 1000 DS

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:53 am Reply with quote

For mainly street twisties, ridden by a shorter fellow, who already owns a Sprint?

S2R1000 (Though the Multi could replace both bikes Confused )

Ohlins for the street is overrated; take the premium you'd spend on the bits & do some track days. As are the S4-series Monsters... thier power advantage only comes into play at 100+. Don't get me wrong, a new S4RS is a tasty piece, just way more than you can/should twist on the street.

A well-rdden S2R1000 can hang with just about anything on a real-world twisty road.

Ducati Multistrada Adventure/Off-Road Gear: www.strada-avventurosa.com
servicerifle
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:58 am Reply with quote

sailwa66 wrote:
For mainly street twisties, ridden by a shorter fellow, who already owns a Sprint?

S2R1000 (Though the Multi could replace both bikes Confused )

Ohlins for the street is overrated; take the premium you'd spend on the bits & do some track days. As are the S4-series Monsters... thier power advantage only comes into play at 100+. Don't get me wrong, a new S4RS is a tasty piece, just way more than you can/should twist on the street.

A well-rdden S2R1000 can hang with just about anything on a real-world twisty road.

I agree with this completely and had basically decided on the S2R1000, till you guys told me about the HM. the 90 or 95 HP in the HM is ideal. With the 125 HP in my Sprint I already know you don't use half of that, even riding HARD in the twisties, and this next machine is going to be ONLY for that purpose.
Nicholas
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:24 am Reply with quote

I had the same problems.......which one to choose, which one to choose...... Think

so I got both. Laughing The MTS 620 for my daily commute in Athens, Greece (whenever I go there for work) and the S2R1000 for my fun bike in the isalnd of Corfu where I spend my Easter and summer holidays........

Now, the problem lies in that i actually live and work in Singapore Crying or Very sad and can't enjoy my bikes as I want to Crying or Very sad ......but we can't have everything.