Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Advice for Second bike
Goto page 1, 2  Next
si550
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:01 pm Reply with quote

I currently own a 1991 Honda Nighthawk 750. This was my first bike. I took the msf course in October and have been riding since. I am a young rider, 23 years old but I am extremely safe and not into the whole crocth rocket craze but in the same sense not into the cruiser realm either. I love the ducati look and feel. At first I was leaning towards a monster s2r 800 but now I feel the multi 620 or 1000 may suit me better due to my needs. I live in NY and would like to use the bike as a commuter but also take it two-up every now and then to areas like lake george or maybe farther. I will not be doing the two up riding till next summer because I feel I need more experience. I have my heart set on getting a ducati this summer but I was hoping to get some advice on which one would fit my needs.

My biggest concern with the 620 is the fact that I am planning on putting a lot of custom parts and accessories into the bike and I really hope I won't outgrow it too quick. I also know that in the next couple years I might move to Florida or California which would allow me to deal with far less traffic on a daily basis. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
JohnB
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:55 pm Reply with quote

If you can afford the 1000, go for it. You'll appreciate the extra power for 2-up and carrying gear for touring.
archkevinbrown
MTS: 2006 620 (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:11 pm Reply with quote

The 620 is much better for the city, and suitable for trips in the area, but if making mods is really important then you'll want the 1000. Going through the parts and accessories catalog, I found that only 20-30% of what you can get for the 1000 you could get for the 620.

'09 Suzuki DR650 Nameless 9/'10 - 5/'11
'08 Aprilia RSV Lara, aka Silver Lion 3/'10 - current
si550

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:05 pm Reply with quote

My only concern with the 1000 is for city driving it will become tiresome in comparison to the 620. Hoping to get a few more opinions on this but thank you ver much for your input so far.
AirborneDucati
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:46 pm Reply with quote

I use my 1000 for city driving in Washington DC, but I split lanes, ride on sidewalks and generally ride like the cops are chasing me and I have $5,000 worth of crack in my backpack.

It works for me.
udukeshere
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:58 pm Reply with quote

I don’t live in the CITY, as Bethlehem / Allentown are fairly small compared to NY. I have gotten into Philly a few times and I think it did fine in traffic. Of course I'm not in it every day and I haven’t ridden a 620 for comparison so take my opinion for what it is.

I will say I can’t imagine having a 620 after riding the 1000. If you search the forum you’ll find a lot of contention about which is better (mostly the 620 guys trying to assuage the feelings of inadequacy to tell the truth Whistle Laughing ), all in good natured fun of course.

I’d say ride each if you can and then decide.

The past led you to where you are today. Your choice to make it part of your present depends whether it'll help your tomorrow. Sometimes, for the sake of the future, it's better to keep the past in the past
wayward
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:07 pm Reply with quote

IMO the Monster would be better for commuting in NY traffic but the Multi would be better for the long trips and two up riding. I agree with Dan, that you should test ride both. The 620 was not out when I bought mine so I have a 1000 but I have ridden a 620 and to be honest in a lot of ways I like the 620 better. I wish that Ducati would come out with a 620S with more goodies like the 1000.

PhilipMSPT
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:50 pm Reply with quote

It's best to get the Multi.

If you're more of a cruising rider, the Multi is more comfortable and practical. It's a more functional bike compared to Monsters.

Since you just started riding, you'll find the 620 has plenty of umph for city and highway riding. Unless if you want extra acceleration and top speed (which most people rarely get to anyways), the 620 will do.

MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:15 pm Reply with quote

I just recently went to the multi from a sportbike. What a world of differents. The multi is so much fun to ride, especially two up riding. I would go with the 1000. I think you will get bored with the 620.

Dave
bone
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:46 pm Reply with quote

AirborneDucati wrote:
I use my 1000 for city driving in Washington DC, but I split lanes, ride on sidewalks and generally ride like the cops are chasing me and I have $5,000 worth of crack in my backpack.

It works for me.

+1!!!

And BTW, I just turned 30 and have been riding 3.5 years now. I started out with a 1979 CB750K which I rode until buying the Multi last year. I got the 1000S and have NO regrets. I ride tons of city kms and have also toured, both 2-Up... it's a very solid bike and a great choice. And a lot of fun in the city, too.
regbafazool

Location: Brooklyn, New York ....land of pot-holes, salt, and homicidal taxi cabs !

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:18 am Reply with quote

I live in the city and love my 1000S! One of the best features, is the extensive
steering-lock......it allows you to make last second decisions in dense traffic: dive
around that soccer mom in the minivan......avoid the taxi that is veering into you
despite making eye contact!.........shift onto the shoulder momentarily, as the 18-
wheeler almost collides with the gargantuan Hummer limo! No other Ducati has this
steering capability. I rode my 748 superbike in the city for 5 and a half years, and
I can't tell you how many times I nearly crushed my thumbs against the gas tank
while trying to manage the hectic traffic!

The other big plus, is the relatively tall seat-height. It puts you well above the average
vehicle on the road, giving a clear line of sight. Sportier, lean-forward bikes leave
your skull at about hood ornament level (worth a thought).

The Multi forks give you more travel to work with. This is handy for the infamously
bad street surfaces. I dented my 748 front rim within about 6 months of owning it!

The key to enjoying the Multi in the city comes down to the art of throttle management. With practice, you will soon perfect the science of feeding the gas
at lower speeds to avoid the jerkiness of the fuel injection that you might notice
the first few days. You will overcome this as you get used to the power delivery
of the bike.

Another city tip(if you opt for the 1000 and its dry clutch): learn to get into neutral
as quickly as possible when approaching a red light or long line of vehicles.....it will
save your dry clutch plates from warping. Don't ask me how I discovered this
Ducati feature!

Anyway, I really feel that you can't go wrong with the Multi. I find it equally suited
for town and country.......but then I guess that is a bit redundant when you consider
the name of the bike!

Get the 1000. It will satisfy your bling urges, and you won't have to lay awake at
night worrying about outgrowing the power!

Good Luck

1958 BSA A7
1946 Indian Chief
1934 Sunbeam Model 80
1922 Henderson Deluxe 4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:37 am Reply with quote

My first bike was a 1995 Honda Nighthawk 750 also which I still have. My second bike is a Multi 1000 which is much funner to ride. In a back to back ride the nighthawk is under damped and softly sprung. It is however much less likely to break down but has no character compared to the multi. The multi's clutch is quite a bit heavier compared to the nighthawk but a 14 tooth front sprocket makes it as easy to take off from a stop and ldle along in traffic easier. I rode the nighthawk for 10 years straight and never had someone so much as give me a look. Now with the multi teenage girls give me thumbs up and I have actually had my picture taken on the freeway by people with their camera phones.

The 1000 multi has a great number of pieces of bling offered.
Mine currently has:
Speedy Moto clutch five spoke cover in black
Red speedy moto pressure plate
Red and Black speedy moto alloy belt covers
Alloy axle cover on the rear
Full Staintune exhaust system without baffles.
Power card.

I am going to add Rizoma handle bars in black along with red bar weights and handgrips.
si550

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:17 pm Reply with quote

Thank you all so much for all the replies.

Now with the 1000s doesn't the dry clutch weigh down a bit on your wrist, especially when stuck in traffic. I have heard the complaint from a few people in terms of monsters when I was thinking about the 800 and 1000 s2r?

Additionaly, I know this is a ducati forum but what are everyones thoughts on the tiger 1050 with or without abs? I am going to look at all three bikes tomorrow just to get a feel for them. I will most likely pull the trigger next month after I get my new apartment.
udukeshere

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:43 pm Reply with quote

si550 wrote:
Thank you all so much for all the replies.

Now with the 1000s doesn't the dry clutch weigh down a bit on your wrist, especially when stuck in traffic. I have heard the complaint from a few people in terms of monsters when I was thinking about the 800 and 1000 s2r?

Additionaly, I know this is a ducati forum but what are everyones thoughts on the tiger 1050 with or without abs? I am going to look at all three bikes tomorrow just to get a feel for them. I will most likely pull the trigger next month after I get my new apartment.

The clutch pull can be a bitch (IMHO). I had an evoluzione billet clutch slave cylinder and CGR adjustable racing levers installed and it made a huge difference for me. I do still click it in to netural somtimes at lights to give my hand a rest.

My Buddy who I ride with a lot just got the tiger and he loves it. I havent ridden it but he raves about it.

Dan

The past led you to where you are today. Your choice to make it part of your present depends whether it'll help your tomorrow. Sometimes, for the sake of the future, it's better to keep the past in the past
si550

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:36 pm Reply with quote

I went and looked at the 620, 1000, 1100 and the tiger. After sitting on all of them, kind of getting a feel for them I started to look up my insurance. I also talked to the people at the shop. They said for 2up riding the 620 does fine, it might not have the same pick up but it will serve the purpose. Regardless of that the people there were very helpful and also helped me realize my insurance will be about $1k to $1.5k cheaper if i go with the 620. I think that helped make my decision a bit easier. I am still looking around the market for the rest of this month but hopefully july will be when I am ready to pull the trigger. Thank you for all your help and I will keep you all updated.