Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Advice for Second bike
Goto page Previous  1, 2
dandrewk
MTS: 2006 620 Dark (Flat black)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:29 pm Reply with quote

Yah, keep us updated. Glad you decided on a Multi. Good choice! Very Happy

Quote:
I also know that in the next couple years I might move to Florida or California which would allow me to deal with far less traffic on a daily basis.

Uhh, you ever been to CA or FL? Wink Of course, it depends on where in CA or FL, but trust me, you won't be getting any/much relief traffic wise if you are anywhere near a population center.

The 620 won't have the same top speed as the 1000/1100, but it will be near or equal for acceleration. It's lighter weight will make it easier to deal with in stop and go traffic, and the clutch is lighter. You make a good point about insurance, but also don't forget mpg's. Since you have to use premium fuel, and especially since you will be doing a lot of city driving, you will appreciate getting ~50 mpg with the 620.
Scrambles
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:39 pm Reply with quote

The 620 is a great bike, good going! I agree with Wayward about a 620 "S" model, if it were available, I probably would be owning one of those.

Just a word of caution: if you move to CA, be prepared to restore it back to stock status or you'll have trouble getting it certified (or "imported", depending on your perspective!) I'm sure others here from CA can give you more details about that.

MTS: 2006 620 (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:52 pm Reply with quote

chip81 wrote:
I would go with the 1000. I think you will get bored with the 620.

Dave

Is there something magical about the extra 29hp that you could never outgrow, or that prevents you from ever getting bored, or wanting ANOTHER 20hp? No.

When one tires of the 620, one tires of life.

People say things like you'll "outgrow" or "grow bored with" the 620, and there may be some truth behind that sentiment, but as it's stated, it's bogus. Sure, some times you'll think "I could have a bigger, faster bike," but that will always eventually be the case, no matter which bike you get. Which bike you chose, however, depends on your priorities.

'09 Suzuki DR650 Nameless 9/'10 - 5/'11
'08 Aprilia RSV Lara, aka Silver Lion 3/'10 - current
dandrewk
MTS: 2006 620 Dark (Flat black)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:08 pm Reply with quote

To me, and this is just for my needs, the only significant difference, upgrade wise, between the 1000/1100 and the 620 is the improved suspension.

I am happy to have a max speed of 110 mph, and I'm not really into a ss swingarm or dry clutch. I thought when choosing the 620, it might be nice to have an actual fuel gauge, like the 1000/1100. But but with all the difficulties with that gauge, kinda glad I don't have to deal with it.

It's all up to the individual. Many believe the extra hp and better suspension justifies the extra $4k.