Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Going to look at an '04 1000 DS this Saturday but...
button
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:48 am Reply with quote

... the guy selling it said the bike started dying at low rpm's and idle. He brought the bike in to get the 6000 mile service and as they were doing the service they said that the valve giudes were bad, and this was causing the bike to die. They fixed them since they said this was a recall item on the multistradas and was covered under the warranty. The guy selling the bike says it took 2 months to get the bike back but now it runs like a champ.

My question is the valve guides going bad a known problem? and if so now that it has been fixed should it be fine? Any other things I should look out for on buying a used multistrada? I just want to make sure I am not going to be buying a lemon. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I will be joining the ranks of multistrada owners shortly.

Thanks in advanced! Chris
greg_long
MTS: 2006 620 Dark (Flat black)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:57 am Reply with quote

http://www.multistrada.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10047

http://www.multistrada.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9947

http://www.multistrada.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6965

http://www.multistrada.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9736

http://www.multistrada.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8728

http://www.multistrada.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8552

etc.

So, in short, yeah. It's a known problem. I don't have a 1000, but there's a lot of info on this particular issue on the boards. Who did the service? Maybe you can find some info here about how good a shop/dealer it is. Best of luck to you.

-G
button

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:48 am Reply with quote

Thank You for the quick reply. Those were very helpful links and put my worries to rest. It sounds like I am in the clear since he all ready got the valve guides replaced. The service was done at Peninsula Ducati in the bay area of northern California. I am not sure if this is a reputable shop or not?

One more question. The bike was lowered 2 inches with aftershocks springs and front internals. Anybody know the skinny on Aftershocks? I am about 6'1" and really like the stock height of the 1000 multi so I am little worried about the lower stance. Is it hard to get it back to stock height or is the 2" difference with the Aftershocks worth the extra suspension performance? I am going to go try and look into this myself with the search feature but if anyone has some insight I wouldn't complain. Very Happy Chris
Apex
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:54 am Reply with quote

I would steer way clear of a Multistrad lowered 2 inches unless you need it that low because of a very short inseam--like under 27 or 28 inches--which you are not. One of the beauties of these bikes is the long travel suspension. Also, with 2 inches off the height, a shorter kickstand will be neede to keep the bike stable, but the pre 2005 stands were too short (bikes toppled) and were replaed under warranty, so maybe the stock stand became useful. Also find out if the longer 2005+ mirrors were installed.
Scrambles
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:22 am Reply with quote

I'll second everything above, and depending on the price, suggest you look for an '05 or newer in the same range. '05's have all the necessary upgrades stock (seat, sidestand, mirrors, etc) If you want to check on the valve guide recall, get the VIN number and call the dealer to see if it's needed on that bike.

With your height, you really should stay away from a lowered bike. I'm 5'8" and I'm only just struggling with the height. I don't think I'll need the lowering link.

And welcome to the site!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:31 pm Reply with quote

I'm 5'8" too with a 30" inseam and my stock height 1000S is just fine. I cannot flat foot both feet at a stop--but who cares? I never understood why some people feel this is a necessity. In your case being as tall as you are, you are probably going to flat foot a stock height bike in any event.
vern748
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:55 pm Reply with quote

2in lowered ? Sad what a shame.

But help is on the way.

I have the stock front fork internals and the stock rear shock for a 620. The shock is missing the spring, but you might be able to get the spring off your existing shock and make that work. Or you can get an Ohlins spring made for your weight at $100 from anyone that sell Ohlins.

Let me know.

PS: Humm, doesn't the 1000 come with an adjustable ride height link ? What did they do with that ? Why mess with the shock/forks when you can use the link ?

Vern748
button

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:54 am Reply with quote

Hey thanks for all the feedback fellas'. I have sat on a stock 04 and the height was pretty good. I was able to easily flatfoot it. I am coming from the Suzuki DRZ 400 SuperMoto which is pretty tall which I like. From my understanding the Multi I am going to look at had its suspension redone by Aftershocks in Northern California which is supposed to be a very reputable suspension shop. I'll have to find out more information and perhaps it can be adjusted or undone? I know the owner has many of the original parts so maybe he still has the stock suspension stuff.

The problem with these Multistradas is that when it comes to used ones they are few and far between and I am anxious to get one so i'm not sure how long I can wait to find the perfect one. Smile Other then the height issue it seems like a pretty good deal.

Apex: I'll check on the mirrors. Thanks for the heads up.

Vern: If I need shock parts I might hit you. Are suspension parts interchangeable between the 620 and 1000?

Again I appreciate the feedback and i'm sure you'll be seeing more of me around here especially after I get a Multi.

Cheers. Chris
AirborneDucati
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:19 pm Reply with quote

Some '04 Multistradas also had an issue with the oil cooler lines leaking - another Ducati recall/replacement covered even outside of warranty.

Something to check into...
Apex

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:59 pm Reply with quote

Chris--

MTSs really turn up for sale here quite often, and are on ebay a lot. Consider an S model--the Ohlins suspension is amazing and it is inexpensive compared to adding it later--though many here are flat in love with their non-S bikes. Having the valve guide issue addressed is a plus, but if you buy a year old bike you still have a year of warranty left and if it is an 06, I think the problem is less likely. My 05 needed new guides. Most here who had the issue arise out of warranty got free repairs, but Ducati will not commit in writing to doing it outside of the warrranty, though as a lawyer I can tell you I am confident that a short call or letter to Ducati would fix that in a particular case. It's a nice time of year for a cheap flight somewhere to ride the bike of your dreams home. If you find one far away, maybe there is a knowledgeable member here who can check it out--or have the seller take it to a Duc dealer you have called first to have it checked out at your expense. Good luck.

Jeff
Scrambles
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:15 pm Reply with quote

vern748 wrote:
PS: Humm, doesn't the 1000 come with an adjustable ride height link ? What did they do with that ? Why mess with the shock/forks when you can use the link ?

It's got an adjustable link, but it only adjusts UP! Think

Apex wrote:
Chris--

MTSs really turn up for sale here quite often, and are on ebay a lot. Consider an S model--the Ohlins suspension is amazing and it is inexpensive compared to adding it later--though many here are flat in love with their non-S bikes. Having the valve guide issue addressed is a plus, but if you buy a year old bike you still have a year of warranty left and if it is an 06, I think the problem is less likely. My 05 needed new guides. Most here who had the issue arise out of warranty got free repairs, but Ducati will not commit in writing to doing it outside of the warrranty, though as a lawyer I can tell you I am confident that a short call or letter to Ducati would fix that in a particular case. It's a nice time of year for a cheap flight somewhere to ride the bike of your dreams home. If you find one far away, maybe there is a knowledgeable member here who can check it out--or have the seller take it to a Duc dealer you have called first to have it checked out at your expense. Good luck.

Jeff

What he said! I think it'll be hard to find a Multi in bad shape, just a hunch. Oh, wait, looks like you had found one less than perfect...how strange Eh?