Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: mts 620 vs sv-650 (my comparison)
selanne8
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:30 pm Reply with quote

just rode my friend's sv-650...here's my comparison to the 620:

what i like about my duc -

ergonomics - on the sv, i felt pretty compressed. i don't think i'd be able to do a whole day's worth of riding without some (maybe even a lot of) saddle sore. i find the duc's lcd display better layed out.

brakes - this is night and day. the difference is so great that it's got me suspecting something is wrong on my friend's sv. the sv's front brake feels like my rear brake...it's that much of a difference.

slow speed manuvering - navigating a parking lot, u-turns or splitting lanes is easier on the duc for me. i think this has to do more with the duc's dirtbike stance and how easy it is to stand up on the bike motocross style.

headlights - the ducs headlights seem to give you an extra 5-10 feet more of viewable distance...prob because it's higher up than the sv's. i was a little uneasy at first riding the sv in the dark before i got used to the headlight's range.

fuel economy - about a month back, i went on a ride with my friend. we have similar riding styles in that we're both mellow and have pretty tame right hands...neither of us is ever looking to set a speed record, but it is fun to feel the acceleration now and then. at all the fuel stops, i was routinely at least half a gallon less. don't even compare fuel consumption with a gixxer 1k...he was the fast one in the group, but that's because he was eager to get to the next filling station Smile

what i found different from my duc -

engine - the sv's engine rev's more easily than the duc's. at 5k rpm, the engine is just louder than at idle, there's very little vibration. i think this is what some people describe as the ducati's "soul" or what some people describe as japanese bikes being "appliances". you know when the ducati is working, it shakes, vibrates and whines...and when the ducati is redlining, you can really feel it. it's like you're riding a caged animal.

being an individual - everyone's got an sv, nobody's got a mts. if you like being different, the mts wins hands down. then again, there's the flip side...since the sv is so popular, it's got a bigger aftermarket/used parts pool. just do a search on craigslist...multistrada returned 2 hits, sv 650 returned 16.

what i liked about the sv -

gearbox - shifting gears on the sv was like pressing a button. shifting up or down is barely a click. shifting on the ducati, you really feel and hear the gears engage and the metal moving around under you. this may be another "soul" characteristic of the duc, but overall, the sv's gearbox was easier to use for me.

clutch - the sv's clutch was lighter and i felt there was more of a friction zone on it. the duc clutch was kinda like an on/off switch compared to it. and working the duc clutch gives me the "kung-fu grip of death" (i really use my forearm muscles to pull the clutch in). one thing the ducati clutch had in it's favor was when shifting down 2 gears quickly - eventhough the clutch engaged sharply, it didn't upset the bike. i have a feeling if i did that with the sv, it wouldn't be as forgiving.

leaning in turns - i found the sv leaning into the turns easier vs the duc. this is prob due to the fact that the sv has a more agressive riding position than the mts. don't get me wrong though, the mts feels just as capable in the turns, the sv just seems to want to lean with less input from me.

mauvering the bike in the garage - with the engine off, walking the sv around is easier for me than the mts. the sv's lower grips make me feel like i have more control. i feel comfortable moving the sv around walking beside the bike, the mts i prefer to straddle it since it's higher.

i didn't bother compareing 0-60, top speed, which one is easier to wheelie... between the two because that's not my riding style. both bikes leave the cars in the dust at a stoplight and both bikes go fast enough for me without needing to push them. if you feel the need for speed, i'm guessing you're not looking at bikes that are in the 600cc range.

overall, i found the sv to be a very capable bike and see why a lot of people pick it for their ride. it's sporty but not backbreaking. it is a different bike than the mts and has a different feel. personally, i like my mts more. the riding position is more comfortable and it is more general purpose while the sv is more sport bike. if i was going to the track, i'd prob pick the sv. if i was worried that i might hit a clean dirt road, i'd pick the mts. i've read the mts is supposed to be the jack-of-all-trades, master of none bike. i'd agree with that.

i've got his bike for a week (i'm bike-sitting while he's out of the country)...i'll post back if i my initial impressions change.

john
nukeproof

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:41 pm Reply with quote

the duc clutch was kinda like an on/off switch compared to it. and working the duc clutch gives me the "kung-fu grip of death" (i really use my forearm muscles to pull the clutch in).

Ok, excellent write up. Minus the above statement; You have apparently never ridden a dry clutch duc.

Oh yeah, the DUCATI has SOUL in coming out of every part.

MTS: 2006 620 Dark (Flat black)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:58 pm Reply with quote

Good write-up, similar to how I felt when I test rode a Honda VFR. The VFR is a muscle car, the Duc is a Ferrari.
ewebster1
MTS: 2006 620 (Yellow)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:25 pm Reply with quote

Good day nukeproof,

The MTS620 and MTS1100 both have wet clutches. Also, I too find the clutch is light a light switch.

Scrambles
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:35 pm Reply with quote

I love the SV, it's a great little bike. However, as you pointed out, it is NOT a Ducati. If I had half the budget I did for a new bike, I would have an SV right now.

MTS: 2007 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:15 pm Reply with quote

I have both SV and 1100s. All you've written is true, except for brakes - SV brakes have more initial bite and somewhat less stopping power, but nowhere like "night and day". There is something wrong with your friends SV.
My overwhelming feeling when I switch between bikes is that SV is my trusted pony, while Multi is the knight's steed. Very Happy I like both.

MTS: 2005 1000 DS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:26 am Reply with quote

I hafta agree with Bohdan, somethings wrong with your friends brakes.

Although I wish they were 4 pot Brembos, my SV's brakes are no slouch.

And with the full Yoshi system and airbox mod, the sound provides plenty of "character".
jeffpm
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:35 pm Reply with quote

Is your friends SV a naked or the faired model? I actually sold my SV naked before purchasing the MTS. I agree with most of your comments, though I have the 1000 and haven't ridden a 620. For me the biggest problem was the riding position, just too cramped for me. Just before selling it I went on a 2 day 450 mile ride and I was dying by the time I got home. The local Ducati dealership was having test rides and I rode a 1000 and immediately knew that was the bike for me.

My brakes worked well on the sv, but I thought the suspension was awful. And since most of my previous bikes were thumpers I wasn't used to the way the sv had to be revved up to make power. The SV is a great bike for the price, I just like my MTS a lot better!

selanne8

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:00 am Reply with quote

you guys are right, i've never had a dry clutch before...and based on your descriptions, i don't think i'll ever want one Smile maybe i just need to hit the gym more...

just finished about 130 miles on the sv (it's got a full fairing) over the past few days. here's a few more things i've found as i've ridden it longer:

uncomfortable handlebars - after about 20 mins on the sv, my hands start to go numb. i can't say the sv has a whole lot more vibration in the bars, but it puts my hands to sleep whereas i can keep riding on the duc.

engine heat - the sv seems to blow more heat on me when i'm sitting at a light. i wouldn't say it's uncomfortable, but it is noticeable. on the mts, i don't notice the heat at all.

forgiving/flickability - i'm starting to take some turns a little faster with the sv now that i'm getting used to it and i'm finding that the mts is more forgiving in a turn if you decide to change your mind (as in, "oh $#!#, this is a decresing radius turn!"). i know i said the sv leans into a turn easier, but it feels like once it's leaning, it doesn't want to change as readily as the mts.

build quality - it just seems like my mts is more solid. buttons don't feel loose, brake levers seem more firm (i can wiggle them just a tiny bit on the sv), footpegs seem more connected. all the pieces seem to be a tighter fit on the mts.

riding position - i've just gotta say it again - the mts is so comfortable to ride. i've also noticed that i can see traffic easier on the mts than the sv.

overall the more i ride the sv, the more i miss the mts. i'm just going to burn through this gas tank and get back my 620 Smile

thanks for the replies (esp on the brakes!) i'll talk to my friend and we'll prob flush the fluid to see if that helps any.

john