Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: I'm sold on the Multistrada but before I buy- how reliable?
nisbeam
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quote

I do a lot of mileage on my bike (I dont drive a car). So I may have to keep my Pan European just for the bad weather (winter months) & high mileage. But I really want the Multistrada to do everything and not have to have two bikes, so my question is can it cope? are they well made and do they last. It looks like a great bike, BUT....
hate to admit it but I also considered a BMW r1200GS. Well bottom line is they are basically not what they are made up to be. Poor quality, lots of owners breaking down. A typical comment was I love my bike but wouldnt want one thats out of warranty. So sod that - I really want a Ducati anyway. So spill the beans - are they actually good reliable bikes, or just a weekend toy ? Thanks folks - hope to be joining the ranks soon Laughing
Scrambles
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:41 pm Reply with quote

Lots of information on this site about how reliable these bikes are. One example:

http://www.multistrada.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7548&

There are a few quirks/bugs, but what bike doesn't have those?

MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:41 pm Reply with quote

she is absolutely reliable for everyday use and also for high milage and also for a lot of twisties and also for a guaranteed smile in your helmet everytime you ride it. And in comparison to the GS. Check in one of those BMW forums and find out what their frustration is..

Apex
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:50 pm Reply with quote

Remember, when you come here and read about problems, that is because problems are one of the main things people talk about here--very little is posted about the thousands of rides people take with absolutely no problems whatsoever. That's the nature of these forums. Other than chain and sprocket replacements every 15 to 20,000 miles and regular chain lubes, I do not know why a Multistrada would require much more care than a BMW.
Robert C
MTS: 2007 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:58 am Reply with quote

I must admit I was a little leery of Ducati's spotty record on any number of issues. I think they are working real hard change perceptions. For instance I'v had mine one week with no problems. The clock even keeps good time. It's nice to know how long uou have been waiting for pickup. Laughing

Bob, I yhink I'll go look at it again.
shep
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:35 pm Reply with quote

I have owned 5 BMWs (1 1150GS) and the Multi is my 3rd Duc. I also ride a fair amount of miles, averaging 12-15K a year. I have no reason to believe my Duc will be any less reliable than any of the other bikes I have owned. I certainly would not be afraid to take off tomorrow for virtually anywhere. This has been a rather off year for me, being just too busy to ride much, so I have only got about 7,000+ miles on my 10 month old Multi. So far it has been flawless and the most fun of the many bikes I have onwed over the years. No one can guarantee reliability of any make so you buy what speaks to you and you take your chances.

Shep
atwood
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:37 pm Reply with quote

Reliability shouldn't be a problem. although some of the bikes have issues. However, riding in the winter (or generally lots of miles) will make the engine dingy and cause the engine paint to flake after a year or two. If you can handle having a less than perfect looking bike, you're all set. Its not structural, just cosmetic. I plan on stripping and refinishing mine after about 5 years or so, assuming I keep the bike, which was definitely the plan until I rode the 675 and loved the motor and saw the street triple and am somewhat tempted Smile I think my wife would shoot me, tho, and I'd miss the extra legroom.