Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: The new Japanese Multistrada
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
skeezix
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:52 pm Reply with quote

3,000 miles on a MTS 620, and no real problems (knock on wood). However, the dealership experience has been very poor and maintence cost is high. I seriously considered a Versys, and was going to get one, but I found a deal on the 620 Multi I just could not pass up. However I closely watch the Versys and will be interested in seeing what the 2009 model holds. There was supposed to be a Multi 695 or 696, but I have almost given up hope on that one. Too bad....

-Skeezix

MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:25 pm Reply with quote

I think the troll is gone....

MTS: 2007 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quote

sally101 wrote:
Hmm I liked that bike better when it was called the VStrom.

Actually the VStrom has more in common with the Multistrada than the Versys - the Kawasaki is a Parallel Twin. Cool

Tom
skeezix

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:24 pm Reply with quote

TPadden wrote:
sally101 wrote:
Hmm I liked that bike better when it was called the VStrom.

Actually the VStrom has more in common with the Multistrada than the Versys - the Kawasaki is a Parallel Twin. Cool

Tom

I was refering to market segment. The V-Strom 650, Multistrada 620, Yamaha FZ6, and Kawasaki Versys were all designed to compete within the same marketing segment, even though the Multi is priced higher. Regardless of engine configuration, all the aforementioned bikes are marketed to the same type of rider - someone who wants a do everything 600cc (+/-) bike regardless of engine configuration. In fact, all of the bike -aside from the Versys- are middleweight versions of their big-brother liter bikes.
I, for one, love these type of bike and hope that we get even more of them here in the US. I'm also hoping for a Multistrada 696.......come on Ducati!

MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quote

The only thing more soul-less than the Versys are the dealers that sell them. Honestly, at least in my area, the dealers that sell the Japanese machines are the lowest form of bottom feeders in existence. Even worse are their so called service department "mechanics" that work on them. I know because I also have a Yamaha FJR that I wouldn't let any of the local dealers come near. This really sucks since I have other things to do besides work on bikes but in the Yammie's case, I have no choice.
Here's an example. I went to the service department of one of the more respected Yamaha dealers around here recently and asked what it would cost for a throtle body sync. The service manager told me the FJR doesn't need a throttle body sync because it has a TPS. Needless to say, I bought a tool to do the job myself instead.
tropigal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:42 pm Reply with quote

Oh yeah! If Ducati came out with a Multi 696 80HP sexy dule headlight 30-31" seat height bike, I'd be first on the list!

In the mean time, or if they never do that, I'm lov'n my 620 everyday! Very Happy

MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:10 pm Reply with quote

tropigal wrote:
Oh yeah! If Ducati came out with a Multi 696 80HP sexy dule headlight 30-31" seat height bike, I'd be first on the list!

In the mean time, or if they never do that, I'm lov'n my 620 everyday! Very Happy

I dig your new Avatar..

MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:23 am Reply with quote

I have had three different bikes in the last 5 years. Selling my just finished rebuilt 83 Moto Guzzi Le Mans III because of riding position and finding a 620. I have looked at many different bikes and on forums for problems. It seems the Multi has the fewest problems and the most enjoyment in a motorcycle. I have been lusting after a Ducati for years. Need the sit up position-more humane to back and thumbs. I want performance in the corners and a bike that was just a good all a round bike and fun to ride. I'm sorry that Ducati is not bring out a new model but there are people on the forum who have great sorted out bikes that will suit me just fine. Looking forward to moving back to the mainland and buying a 620-wife can pick her car-I don't give a shit about four wheels.
John
ms620chick
MTS: 2006 620 Dark

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:08 pm Reply with quote

couldn't agree more..no problems ever w my multi and absolutely love it
jim shea
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quote

Glad the troll has gone; I am sure that the Kwaka has probs and of all the Jap bikes it is probably the worst build quality.
Plus, it is ugly, without the panache, character and performance of the Mts...

Mr2U

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:13 pm Reply with quote

Easy gentlemen, i looked at the Versys also, but found an
almost new 620 for less so i went for it.

love the 620, it rips thru my friends drz400's like butter.
(they only have 35 hp on tap)

But when Triumph puts their 675 motor in a baby tiger
frame ............

MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:29 pm Reply with quote

13k on an 1100 - no issues. ducati=character. less likey to find on jap machines IMO

MTS: 2006 620 (Yellow)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:57 pm Reply with quote

john j redmond wrote:
I have had three different bikes in the last 5 years. Selling my just finished rebuilt 83 Moto Guzzi Le Mans III because of riding position and finding a 620. I have looked at many different bikes and on forums for problems. It seems the Multi has the fewest problems and the most enjoyment in a motorcycle. I have been lusting after a Ducati for years. Need the sit up position-more humane to back and thumbs. I want performance in the corners and a bike that was just a good all a round bike and fun to ride. I'm sorry that Ducati is not bring out a new model but there are people on the forum who have great sorted out bikes that will suit me just fine. Looking forward to moving back to the mainland and buying a 620-wife can pick her car-I don't give a shit about four wheels.
John

Guzzi Le Mans, a man after my own heart. Although I've only been able to ever sell just one of my dozen bikes, and regretted it, I can sympathize. The Multistrada will fit the bill for what you desire above, aside from probably wanting to sort the harsh 620 suspension after a few miles, you will not be disappointed. Good luck in your quest and keep us updated!

MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:37 am Reply with quote

Me and a couple of friends have gone on a coupla road trips with both bikes-- me on a MTS and them on Versys'.

Before I ended up buying my MTS I was considering and then test rode the Versys-- call me spoilt, especially since my previous bike was a Monster 620, but as soon as I took off on the Versys I knew it wasn't for me. I still wanted a bike that had heart; passion, the CHUTZPAH... And the Versys was not that.

Don't get me wrong, Versys is a good bike, engine is great, but so many niggling things that just didn't compare to riding my M620.

Test riding the MTS though, as soon as I pulled on the throttle, I was sold, there and then.

Long story short, the MTS to me is the most competent *combined* sports, touring, load-lugging AND exotic bike out there.

Both bikes are very similar in form and function though, with looks only their designers could love (okay, owners will grow to love the looks, but it ain't love at first sight, not for me anyway)-- in fact, I think the Versys' design was heavily inspired by the MTS, based on my time getting to know both, and learning to admire each for their own merits.

I had to leave these guys on this trip (crashed the MTS), but in the end they apparently ran into major failures on both of their bikes on separate occasions caused by stones being flung into the engine block and jamming the radiator fan.

The MTS I doubt would have had any issues with stones, but considering these bikes really aren't intended to be off-road bikes, thems the breaks (literally) for all of us.

Alpo
MTS: 2006 620 (Yellow)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quote

Looks like a very cool trip ptooey! And those Versys look better in Aussie green than US red IMO. Sorry to hear about the crash of your 'Strada, is it just me or does this seem to be a disturbing trend lately? I genuinely hope you and your bike are both doing well.