Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: First Multistrada Test Ride...
kentamcolin
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:22 am Reply with quote

I have ridden my Triumph Speedmaster over 16K miles, and have been thinking I'd like something with a little more performance. Ever since I saw my first Ducati (Red 900SS in '84) I've wanted one. I had the chance yesterday to spend considerable time on a Multistrada, thanks to my dealer, MCC. I was really interested in this bike - quick, sporty, handles well, available with hard bags and, I think, looks good. The night before my ride I dreamed of a shiny new Ducati sitting in my garage waiting for me each morning, and my wife told me to buy it if I wanted it. I really wanted to like this bike but...

My butt, after one hour was so sore! The seat is flat and hard and angled down towards the gas tank, so you constantly slide to the tank. Your crotch gets smashed into the tank during braking (ouch!) and the bars were actually too close to me for adequate bracing. The engine however is very good, and the fuel injection is wonderful. Handling is excellent as well. There was much to like and much to hate. Anyone who knows about these bike knows the mirrors are barely adequate, the windscreen does little and the seat is bad news. The engine is sweet, the handling is first rate, the brakes are awesome. I read that this makes an excellent two-up tourer but by the time I got home to pick up my wife I could not imagine sitting all day on this thing. Until...

I picked up my wife. The bike settled down with the extra weight on the back. That seat angle became more flat and I was much more comfortable. What is more is the SHE was comfortable. Actually, she told me after half an hour that she was very comfortable on the back (a huge compliment to the bike for that!). Two-up touring? Yes indeed this would be quite a nice bike for that. Nice large hard bags, comfy passenger, "Ducati" written on the tank - nice. I was amazed at how well the Multistrada handled two people. Handling was still great, low speed maneuvers were simple as the bike was so stable, even making a U-turn. The fuel injection I mentioned make throttle response so smooth, even with very slight throttle use in slow traffic you can ride along with minimal effort.

So now I am somewhat bummed. With two people, I like this bike enough to buy it. Solo I hated it. I can't bring my wife everywhere I ride, so I guess I'll have to wait until the '05 model comes out to see what is fixed. My dealer does have a new ST4S sitting on the floor, but that just somehow seems like too much bike for commuting to work in suburban Chicago. New Multi is supposed to ahve improved seat, mirrors & windscreen. Meanwhile, I'm going to check with Corbin to see if their sear changes the forward angle, and look into clip-on's to adjust the bar issue for me.
slemers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:42 am Reply with quote

All of the ergonomic issues get sorted out shortly after you aquire your bike. Most Multi riders have two seating positions. The first one that I use under most conditions is sitting as far forward as possible. This makes for a stable platform for the more twisty stuff.
The second position I use is with my butt pushed all the way back on the seat touching or almost touching the pillion pad. This is for freeway use and allows you to stretch out.
The seat is uncomfortable, but there are options for that. As you mentioned the Corbin styling exercise is available. Sargent also makes a seat for the Multi. Both are considerably more comfortable than stock.
I use padded bicycle shorts under my suit and find that this helps and is about 300 bucks cheaper than a new seat.
I did a MSF advanced course on my bike and I sat forward the entire day, never had a problem with my nether region slamming into the tank.
Hope this helps,
Steve
tommeke

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:14 pm Reply with quote

I had the same problems with the handlebars. There is an asy way to fix it. Just unscrew the bolts that are holding the handlebars and move it a bit more upright. You'll have more armspace and move more freely during slow handling.
Compared to an ST4 the MTS is way cooler, and handles much quicker. I hesitated between the same two bikes, but afer having ridden them both, my decision was quickly made. A beautiful red MTS is standing in my garage now. After 12k I still don't have any complaints
RickH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:33 pm Reply with quote

an added benefit to rotating the bars forward is the mirrors work better, too. Still not very good, but better...

Rick
slemers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:40 pm Reply with quote

I have a CRG lanesplitter mirror installed on the clutch side of my bike.
I also bought the mirror extensions that were offered by uglyduc on this forum. Excellent improvement over the stock length.
:) Maybe uglyduc could be persuaded to make some more?
I've experimented with rotating the bars as well, finally found a happy medium.
So if you like the bike enough to get around these issues buy it....
Pigdog
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:30 pm Reply with quote

Was it an early or late 04 model? The early 04 models had harder seats and the later ones had a better padded one.

And now the 05 model apparently has an even better seat that even beats the "comfort seat" from Ducati!

Go for it!

Pigdog
hotschko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:38 am Reply with quote

kentamcolin wrote:
That seat angle became more flat and I was much more comfortable.

Did you check preload settings on the rear spring. It could be that it was set much to high for single rider and therefore also much less comftorable.
prowen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:39 pm Reply with quote

I love the stock seat on my Multi, and I hate it with equal passion. It all depends upon the road which emotion I feel. On long-haul straight roads, I fidget and move around quite a bit due to the distress felt in my butt muscles. However anytime the road tightens, and the 'red mist' descends, I forgive the seat instantly. The thin padding allows lots of feel for rear tyre traction, and the shape is great for those that like to hang off the inside of the bike during hard cornering. It's a sports-minded perch for sure, but I'm loathe to change it to achieve more touring comfort.