Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: other equipment/mod questions/insurance questions
bigballin
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:18 am Reply with quote

so i have decided to go and buy a 620 dark used, and it comes as a:

2006 DUCATI Multistrada 620 Dark, Ducati Performance top case. Powerlet accessory outlet. DP hand guards. DP carbon fiber rear hugger/chainguard

what is the Powerlet accessory? and what does the rear hugger do?
On top of that is adding the 14t sprocket a good idea for a new rider like myself? or should i ride it and then add it? and how much would it cost? (sprocket and service alike)

its at 11K miles, but they will include the 12K miles at 7.2K otd so yeah, i think its okay just wondering if im overpaying (but i am financing it, 2K down payment)

oh also, is it normal for insurance to be 2,000 a year? or is it because im a 20 year old male, trying to ride a motorcycle? i have had two accidents and the woman i talked to at progressive said that it would come to like 6K a year, until my first accident would go away which would lower it to like half that like 3K. just wondering cause i did mess up on two (at fault) accidents. on top of that is it cheaper if i get the bare bones insurance deal? im in the OC county area so if anyone knows any insurance information some help would be appreciated.

also, i don't know what helmet, gloves, boots, and jacket to buy and am asking for recommendations for them, been hearing that dainese is good for jackets (but they seem pricey) and alpinestar is good too or so i hear, and that for helmets i should go with arai or shoei and i don't know anything about boots. So recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

also wanted to know if that back protector nero1 from dainese is a good (almost necessary? thing to have) or back protectors in general?
lotus54
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:48 am Reply with quote

I have no followed the 620 prices as well as some there, but that seems hight to me for a bike that has that sort of miles.
Do a search for 620 prices here and see what you see.

I pay something like $130 every six months for my 1000S, but I'm a lot older, have a clean record and live in a small town.

I think a back protector is always a good idea. I am not familiar with that particular brand.

For gear, find a helmet that fits you well. I'm pretty happy with the Dainese Airstream Course, very comfy and quiet.
Don't over look used leathers, you can get some good deals that way and find out what you like in gear. Make sure they can zip together. If you go down, the jacket can 'ride up' otherwise and give you nasty road rash.

Mark

Beta XTrainer 300
XSTRADA
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:28 am Reply with quote

Seems steep for a 620 Dark with 11K... but then again your 12K service is gonna run about 1K not including new tires which it will need if they haven't been replaced already.

Who are you buying it from?

As far as gear this is what I use most commonly though I have lots of riding gear:

Nolan 102N flip up helmet
Tour Master Intake jacket (summer)
Tour Master Transition jacket (winter)
Firstgear air mesh pants (summer)
Firstgear HT over pants (winter)
Firstgear air mesh gloves
Sidi Champion air mesh boots

Richard

MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:53 am Reply with quote

Quote:
and what does the rear hugger do?

Its slang for your girl on the pillion.
jeffpm
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quote

The rear hugger prevents a lot of road grime off the rear tire from coating the rear shock and linkages. The power outlet allows you to plug in electrical accessories like heated riding gear, gps units, etc. These are nice add-ons but certainly won't be adding hundreds of dollars to the value of the bike.

The 14 tooth sprocket isn't necessary. I'd ride the bike for a bit and see how it feels for you. The sprockets are only about $40-50.

As others have mentioned the price seems high for the amount of mileage.

If you're financing the bike they will require you to carry full insurance. Unfortunately your two accidents aren't going to help. Shop around as rates vary quite a bit.

bigballin
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:53 pm Reply with quote

called geico and they told me that i would have to pay 2,500 ish a year so yeah way better than progressive,

and on top of that is it better to buy a bike at 6.8K (OTD) with only 1900 miles stock or the one i previously mentioned before for 7.2K? (OTD) and is anyone selling a 620? Smile

oh, and are dainese boots good? their urban ones that look kinda like shoes? yeah, asking mainly about motorcycle helmets, boots, and jackets opinions and experiences with them

thanks
mollycbr123
MTS: 2008 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:33 pm Reply with quote

bigballin wrote:
called geico and they told me that i would have to pay 2,500 ish a year so yeah way better than progressive,

and on top of that is it better to buy a bike at 6.8K (OTD) with only 1900 miles stock or the one i previously mentioned before for 7.2K? (OTD) and is anyone selling a 620? Smile

oh, and are dainese boots good? their urban ones that look kinda like shoes? yeah, asking mainly about motorcycle helmets, boots, and jackets opinions and experiences with them

thanks

Just a couple of thoughts for you young man Smile :

If you haven't already, consider taking an MSF course. It sounds like you are sort of new to bikes, and the course could easily save you life, or at least possibly keep you from having any (many?) more accidents. Not sure about CA, but in some states, insurance companies offer a reduced rate to riders who have taken the course.

About your riding gear: Any reputable brand will make good gear, and yes, the good stuff can be expensive. But if you find yourself sliding along some asphalt one day, it will be worth every penny. In addition to being truly protective, also make sure your gear is comfortable and allows adequate movement to control your bike.

Good luck!

'12 Multistrada S Touring
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new '16 Thruxton R