Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Multistrada/V-Strom and valves
rbike
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 12:42 am Reply with quote

I realize this is a biased forum but am hoping for a little guidence. Mainly due to size, cost, and weight I've ruled out the GS, Tiger, and Caponord and am trying to decide between the MS and V-strom. I test drove a MS and loved the way I could toss it around and that neat red frame tubing Very Happy . However, I'm somewhat concerned about quality after hearing about water in the electronics, oil leaks, poor welds, and brake shudders. Eh? I've always ridden rice-burners and got used to very little maintenance and no dealer maintenance (probably something to do with the dealer mistuning my first SL-100 thirty years ago). Confused

I also wonder about valve adjustment and intervals. I read that Ducati's like 3,000 mile adjustments but was told 6,000 miles by a dealer. I asked same dealer about cost and they said only $600 to adjust the valves and something about maybe needing to drop the engine to gain access. Whistle I used to adjust the valves myself on my old CB-750 and wondered if anyone knows whether it's difficult or requires special tools? Also, does anyone know the costs for the carbon fiber engine pan and the higher windshield?

I've sat on a V-Strom but haven't been able to ride one yet. The MS seems like the "Ferrari" vs. the V-strom "Lexus". Does this seem accurate to anyone who's ridden both? Think

Thx.
Rbike
stisma
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 1:09 am Reply with quote

Yes Ducatis have more frequent maintenance, valve, adjustments than "rice-four".
MTS is on:
600 mile check up
6,000 mile adjustment (if needed)
12,000 mile ADJUSTMENT
18,000 mile adjustment
6,000mile/10,000km valve adjustment interval is not that bad considering valve design. Tipical valve adjustment on desmodue is $600, quadro $750
Carbon lug is $276, donno for higher screen.
PS. Take a look at new Yammy FZ6, darn thing in awesome.
PS2. After few, uhm 6, Japan mfg. bikes and dealer workmaship performance on them, I switched to EURO bikes and I'll say... yes it costs more to service EURO bikes but so far I have no complaints. It seems those guys pay more attention on what they do. IMP tough.
slemers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:51 am Reply with quote

The larger screen is $105. Not sure if I want one or not. The stock screen flows pretty nice, the lrge screen may pollute the air at helmet level. i've found the stock one is ok below 70mph or so.
I came off a Bmw R1100RS and as you can imagine the wind protection is much less on the MTS.
I'm pretty happy overall with the bike, the problems will be sorted out under warranty. The Beemer had the personality of a German taxi-cab. I liked the machine and some of the features but decided it was time for change.
BTW the 600 mile service for me was $360 in Portland,Ore. My last service on the Bmw was a heavy check and ran almost $700. Looks like the maintenance cost are in theory about the same....
Cheers,
Steve
don pussehl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:32 am Reply with quote

Have you ever had a girlfriend? Pay attention to her, do not forget birthdays and life is sweet Same with Ducatis. Don

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:53 am Reply with quote

I own the Multi and a friend has the Strom, don't be fooled into thinking the Strom has no problems. My friend has already had to replace the clutch basket and has gone through 3 windshields trying to find one that literally dosen't shake his head with turbulance. No luck for him yet, why do you think Suzuki offers a moveable unit on the new 650 model?

Realistically if you are that concered about maintenance cost, you probably can't afford one. Go with the Strom 650 and be done with it, better design and lighter than the 1000.
rbike

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:03 pm Reply with quote

Thanks, but a 650 just doesn't deliver enough of a rush. Rolling Eyes Seems like bikes made in the last few years have weak motors compared to my old CB-750. Sad

It's not really a question of the cost but the ability to DIY. I was hoping that someone had some knowledge of working on a MS since I feel doing your own maintenance is a fun part of motorcycling. Again, I never felt comfortable with a dealer working on my bike. Confused I've found a copy of the V-strom manual on the web but wonder whether there is a decent one available for the MS that's not written in Italian. Think I learned that Aprilia tells people to go to their dealers for an oil change and doesn't include something this basic in their manual. Shocked So people are smuggling info from european manuals. Eh?
vduc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:23 am Reply with quote

rbike wrote:
It's not really a question of the cost but the ability to DIY. I was hoping that someone had some knowledge of working on a MS since I feel doing your own maintenance is a fun part of motorcycling. :

I haven't done the valves myself on my Ducati (this is my 4th) one. I've had a total one shim replaced in 12 years of ownership. IMHO the valve train on a 2V is pretty good. There is a lot of valve and belt maintenance stuff on the web for the do it yourself type, the Ducati manuals are usually pretty good too.

rbike wrote:
I learned that Aprilia tells people to go to their dealers for an oil change and doesn't include something this basic in their manual. Shocked So people are smuggling info from european manuals. Eh?

My only Aprilia is a RS250, and it came with a full manual and parts lists. The Italian to English translation, and layout leaves some to be desired, but it was good enough for me to completely rebuild the engine.

Vito
SCOTT
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 3:31 am Reply with quote

FYI, while I much prefer the MTS to the Aprilia, new 2002 Caponords are being offered for $7,999 USD. That's a great price! Think
mr.vince0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:35 pm Reply with quote

Please don't throw produce, but I've ridden both the Vstrom 650 and Mts 620. I prefer the feel, comfort, and reliability of the Suzuki. The Duc is buzzy, and the seating position doesn't fit me. The vstrom is quicker, I feel is more torquey, and just as much a blast to ride as the Duc.

Ok, the Ducati is pinup girl sexy. But once I'm on top, the vstrom looks great! Mr. Green
JohnB
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:08 am Reply with quote

rbike wrote:
I've always ridden rice-burners and got used to very little maintenance and no dealer maintenance (probably something to do with the dealer mistuning my first SL-100 thirty years ago). Confused

My first bike was an SL100 thirty-something years ago. Performed my first valve adjustment on that bike.
Donny

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:00 pm Reply with quote

I've owned a 1000 S DS for about a month and am on my second V-Strom 1000. (Also have recently acquired a 1200 GS). In terms of pure value for the money you can't beat the Suzuki. It's the poor man's GS - 85% the bike for half the $. I've put over 30,000 miles on the Strom and am still amazed how good it is. The only obvious deficiency is brakes. Replace pads and lines out of the box and you're good to go.

The MTS is harder edged, loves to be ridden hard. With the Ohlins you can hang with the sport bikers on the back roads in total comfort. It's shorter, lighter and quicker than either the Strom or the GS and is more fun than either when the drill is spirited riding on paved roads. I now have a tricked out GSXR 1000 for sale.

For daily commutes, cross country travel, more relaxed riding I prefer either the V Strom or GS, with bias toward the GS if dirt roads are on the menu.