Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Looked at 2004 DS today--comments?
stickerbush
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:08 am Reply with quote

I checked out a nice 2004 Multistrada today, only about 2000 miles. There were a couple of things I observed that I'd appreciate some feedback on.

600K service was done at a dealer and the oil cooler recall was done at that time. Not enough mileage yet to know whether the valve guides are OK or not, that is a risk I know as the bike is out of warranty.

Both of the mirrors were loose. Not the glass but the housing was loose on the stem. I'm guessing the owner tried to adjust them by moving the housing instead of the glass.

The owner said that the bike shouldn't be ridden until the LO temp indicator goes away and shows 100. Is that the recommended practice? My inclination would be to let it warm up while I ride it conservatively for a few minutes rather than sit and idle.

There is an "ouch" on the right rear panel where it brushed against a wall. Several deep but short scratches. Can this be repaired without buying a new panel? For $250 or less?

He's asking $7500, I am considering offering $7000. Does this sound reasonable? I know it will need a major service and probably new tires at 6K miles...

Thanks everyone!
jcs182
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:13 am Reply with quote

I ride to warm my Multi. I know of no factory suggestion to let it warm to 100 before riding.

My mirrors are loose in the same spot. I may try to squirt some black silicone in there to see if that firms them up.

Body work is expensive anymore. A new panel might cost less than $250.

As for the price I paid $7200 for my 2004 with the same mileage here in NY 1 year ago and it came with luggage and some other tasty bits. You should do what makes you happy!

'04 Multi 1080

www.desmoducati.org
http://picasaweb.google.com/slocumjon
www.ducatisuite.com
badger
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:03 am Reply with quote

I ride my bike in all kinds of weather. It reads LO for the first while when I take off, I just stay conservative until it's over 100. I still rev it up to 5500 before shifts and more importantly, I don't let it lug below 4000.

Don't forget, that is the temp at the oil cooler, not in the engine. Within a few minutes, the engine is gonna be at 100.

I don't know about the mirrors sorry.

MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:28 am Reply with quote

I think that bike has been for sale for a while, sounds like the same one a buddy of mine looked at a couple months ago. Going into fall, I think you might be able to get it for even less than $7,000.

It will almost surely have valve guide issues, but just plan for having it done at 12,000 or 18,000 miles.

As I posted to you on another thread, get the FAR mirrors.

That could be a great bike for you.
potomacduc
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:51 am Reply with quote

Even though that has low mileage, I agree that you might be able to do a bit better on price. If the bike is stock, I'd try to get it for $6500. I've seen more than one go for that price. I certainly would hesitate to pay over $7K.

Last edited by potomacduc on Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
lotus54
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:58 am Reply with quote

Is the one a person here has for sale at $4000 still available? It is in Seattle also.
I was going to try and check it out last time I was in Seattle, but ran out of time.
Look at the for sale section.
It looked to me like some bodywork and thats about it.

Of course, I was looking at it since I could repair/paint myself. I'm not sure what a shop would charge.

On the mirrors, yeah, someone probably tried to adjust them by turning the housing. Like Scott says, get the FAR mirrors, they are WAY better.

The bodywork on the bike you are looking at sounds like a pretty easy fix. The paint is really easy to match- the only thing that might be more difficult is getting the decals for it. I have never tried to get them from Ducati- might be easy, might be a pain. No idea.

Lots of us in the Northwest here.

Mark

Beta XTrainer 300
AirborneDucati
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:05 pm Reply with quote

stickerbush wrote:
There is an "ouch" on the right rear panel where it brushed against a wall. Several deep but short scratches. Can this be repaired without buying a new panel? For $250 or less?

Regarding your "ouch" Don't worry about it for at least a year because you will drop it again. Guaranteed. I've been riding for 20+ years from motorcross to track days to cross country trips on antique bikes and I dropped mine in an alley going about 20mph because I slipped on wet bricks (of course I tell everyone it was a high speed crash in a race Very Happy )

Offer less than you expect to pay and work up from there to what you will pay. Don't pay more than you are willing. Walk away. If it doesn't sell he'll contact you for further negotiations.

Miles come quick so plan accordingly with regards to the service. If you are mechanically inclined try to work on some of the issues yourself so you aren't paying labor costs (i.e., it is cheaper to remove the wheels yourself and carry them to a shop than it is to ride into a shop for a tire change). Shops have mandatory set time limits for certain tasks even if it takes less time to do the task itself. If you build a good relationship with a shop though typically you can get a break on prices.

On the other hand it isn't worth taking your tank off to change an air filter and reinstalling it, then going to a shop for something else that requires removing the tank since they're going to have to remove the tank anyway. Plan accordingly.

Good luck.
lotus54
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:17 pm Reply with quote

Here is the one a forum user has for sale (or had for sale)

http://www.multistrada.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11100

Beta XTrainer 300
stickerbush
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:17 pm Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. I think I'm going to sit for a week or two and see if anything else pops up on the market. Perhaps the seller will lower his price a bit. That '03 for sale is a bit rougher than what I'm looking for--thanks for the lead though.
stickerbush
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:52 pm Reply with quote

I'm no longer a "Wanna Buy", I just pulled the trigger on a new 2006 1000 DS which I got a decent deal on (I think) at a nearby dealer. They gave me $2K off MSRP. I take delivery tomorrow, yee ha!
regbafazool
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Black)

Location: Brooklyn, New York ....land of pot-holes, salt, and homicidal taxi cabs !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:28 am Reply with quote

Congratulations on your new bike! You're going to love it Clap

1958 BSA A7
1946 Indian Chief
1934 Sunbeam Model 80
1922 Henderson Deluxe 4